A4 2.5 TDI Issues

L4FOU

Reaction score
Hi All

It's been a while since I've been on here - see lots has been happening too...after some advice/guidance if I can. Considering selling my 1.9TDi 130 to up grade to a 2.5TDi still in the B6 range. Drove one a couple days ago (quattro 6sp manual)...boy was I impressed, pulled really well - body does need some attention though. Other than the norm is there anything in particular I should check/look out for on this model - I'm still a babe in terms of Audi ownership/driving - trying to avoid the trauma I had with the current A4.

All responses welcomed and appreciated - in advance of your kind consideration.

Many thanks

L4FOU

Cam wear is an issue esp on AKE engines,i had the cams inspected prior to buying,the seller wasa good bloke i don't think many sellers would agree to it,it requires taking the rocker covers off and having a look.

Thanks Shane - think an in depth inspection is in order before making a plunge

Thanks again

i agree cam wear is a whore,mine has had a good engine overhaul and it still sounds like a airplane on take off,if its any way noisy its prob cams, thats good or bad most of the time they will keep on going 4 ever but then again you never know.from what i here its around 1500 punts or 2k euro to sort out depends witch side of the water you live

If it was on longlife intervals then you most likely to have issues but, if they used quality oil and replaced once a year there should be no problems whatsoever. I have 3 high mileage cars (2 over 180k) with zero wear on the cams, just a shiny finish ! Each cam is 225 and it has 4 of them + 24 lifters/rocker arms and trust pads. Also the cambelt isnt a particulary easy job so that will set you back a good few hundred quid. Other than higher maintenance (cambelts and the like) they are pretty bulletproof.

Thanks guys - all appreciated. The engine despite no documented service history sounds and runs a lot better than my 1.9tdi which I seems to be always servicing. Are the suspension arms and bushes the same?

Yeah, pretty much the same, just shocks and springs have higher damping...

Also on 100K+ engines, the injection pump (Bosch VP44) is known to fail, which can cost about £1200 to put right with a refurb pump + labour included. The alternator can also fail so proabably and the poly belt will probably also need to be replaced if it has not already been done.