JMB RetrofitsMonster Motorsport
    Reverse Gear

Status

Alloy Wheels, Original or Replica?

Hi i have an Audi A4 1.8t ltd edition 190bhp model and my front tyres will need replacing soon.

I am wondering whether to replace all tyres (or just 2?) or go for a new set of rims with tyres with them fitted.

I have seen these which look a real good price but they are replicas.
    18" A5 ALLOY WHEELS WITH TYRES AUDI,VW, SEAT,SKODA,FORD on eBay (end time 22-Nov-10 22:53:29 GMT)

I currently have the 17 inch 5 spoke star shape original Audi alloys set.

So are replicas ok to use? Any comments on these wheels?

Cheers
    Last edited by vinceremedy; 25th October 2010 at 11:27.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Status

My Social Networking

Follow quattrojames On Twitter Add quattrojames on Facebook
    There's nothing wrong with replica's necessarily, but at 360 with tyres I'd be very cautious! You get what you pay for as in everything, the best you can hope for is crap tyres, and the worst rims that after one winter will all be bucked.

Decent tyres alone are 130 + each so its hard to see how they can sell them at that price, sorry to be negative but I'd walk away from those personally.
    Ingolstance Read about my A6 HERE.

DOPE with added OCD

Status
    I agree witht he above - reps come across as a good deal but in respect of the tyres make sure you get a good brand, they will lasy longer, perform better and will be safer.

Also, and worth noting, replica alloys tend to be much heavier so you may lose a little performance.

Bro.Paul 2.5TDI Quattro Sport

Status
    Northampton, Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
    id rather get 2nd hand gen wheels and have them re ferbed to new standards than have copies as the copies are normally made of softer alloy which means buckles are easier to collect! iv learnt that the hard way.

Reverse Gear

Status
    cheers

They do seem to good to be true, will just get new tyres only the fronts need doing according to MOT advisory so can spread the cost!

Audi fanatic

Status
    Genuine
    have seen and had reps and you get what you pay for generally heavy lumps of soft alloy that can corrode very quickly .

6th Gear

Status
    Mountain Ash, Rhondda Cynon Taff, United Kingdom
    yeah i agree aswell buy a set of used oem ones and get them refurbed!

thas the one thing i dont like getting on a budget is tyres four bits of cheep rubber bing the only thing keeping you on the straight n narrow is not good
    My A4 Detailed and finished with Zymol Glasur
    http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/detaili...ol-glasur.html

A4 S-Line SE 220BHp with full Black pack With black badge (rear one still to fit) two tone Leather, Bose, phone prep in centre arm rest, IPOD conection RS4 pedals suede gear knob handbrake and steering wheel R8 oil Cap

Status
    we cant all be telling lies here mate,

CMD
    Pointing Forward's!!!!!!!!!

Status
    Rep's with good tyre's. I change my mind alot when it come's to wheel's so buying rep's save's me a shed load over OEM wheel's. As long as you buy from a good company which have a good rep. I'm selling my 18's which i only bought in Aug for AITP Check them out in the classified's.
    AUDI A4 190T S-LINE.

WWW.PR-DETAILING.CO.UK CERTIFIED DETAILERS

1st Gear
    Mission To Mars Champion

Status
    got to go for a decent set of tyre good brand really budget are ok but just dont last as long

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    I bought a set of what seem like perfectly good quality 17" RS6 reps for my B6 about six months ago. With mid-range Falken tyres on, they cost 540 delivered. The wheels were made in China.

I took them off about a month ago, as I was selling the car. The replacement, a B7 3.0TDi Quattro on a 57 plate has OEM 16-spoke 17" wheels with virtually new Continentals. I've toyed with the idea of swapping them, simply because the RS6 reps are easier to clean. I haven't got round to changing them yet, but I did notice that the OEMs on the B7 are also made in China.

So what are the chances that they are all made in the same factory, OEMs and reps alike, and Audi simply charge an outrageous fortune for exactly the same wheel?
    A4 3.0TDi SE Quattro Auto. Factory-fit: RNS-E/bluetooth; F/R parking sensors; full leather/heated front seats; cruise. Retrofit: Remap; Eibach 30mm lowering springs, RS4 RARB; MTEC drilled/grooved discs; 18" RS4 alloys; VW fan washers; Kinetic Digitizor DAB; Blackvue DR380 camera; front armrest; ambient lighting; white LED lights; autodim mirror; Cupra splitter; S-Line door blades; tints; UK pressed plates; MFSW; SDS; TPMS; LED Taillights and DRLs. RS aluminium pedals

2nd Gear

Status
    Your probably right! I've got 19" reps and they seem ok. Im sure they might buckle easier.. but im just going to try and be careful with that!
    Audi A4 TDi 130 Sport

Status

My Social Networking

My oem RS6's are Ronal as are a lot (if not all?) of Audi wheels, and they're made in Poland.

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jdp1962 View Post
    I bought a set of what seem like perfectly good quality 17" RS6 reps for my B6 about six months ago. With mid-range Falken tyres on, they cost 540 delivered. The wheels were made in China.

I took them off about a month ago, as I was selling the car. The replacement, a B7 3.0TDi Quattro on a 57 plate has OEM 16-spoke 17" wheels with virtually new Continentals. I've toyed with the idea of swapping them, simply because the RS6 reps are easier to clean. I haven't got round to changing them yet, but I did notice that the OEMs on the B7 are also made in China.

So what are the chances that they are all made in the same factory, OEMs and reps alike, and Audi simply charge an outrageous fortune for exactly the same wheel?
    OEM rims,,, Made in China.... Really !

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Digger1 View Post
    OEM rims,,, Made in China.... Really !
    Yes, really. And before you suggest they are not OEMs, the spare is unused and unmarked in the spare wheel well, wearing a brand-new untouched Bridgestone Potenza tyre, and "CHINA" stamped on the inside of one of the spokes.
    Last edited by jdp1962; 9th November 2010 at 20:42.
    A4 3.0TDi SE Quattro Auto. Factory-fit: RNS-E/bluetooth; F/R parking sensors; full leather/heated front seats; cruise. Retrofit: Remap; Eibach 30mm lowering springs, RS4 RARB; MTEC drilled/grooved discs; 18" RS4 alloys; VW fan washers; Kinetic Digitizor DAB; Blackvue DR380 camera; front armrest; ambient lighting; white LED lights; autodim mirror; Cupra splitter; S-Line door blades; tints; UK pressed plates; MFSW; SDS; TPMS; LED Taillights and DRLs. RS aluminium pedals

Status

My Social Networking

Are they deffo oem with the four rings stamped Jeff?

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    Just about everything in the world is manufactured and/or assembled in China now, even if it is designed and engineered elsewhere. I have high-end Marantz separates hi-fi kit that is made in China. The Goodyear GSDs that I had a while ago were made in China.

Audi fanatic

Status
    Im going too look at my s4 wheels now
    im sure i saw germany cast on them .

Status
    in Turkey the make OEM alloys for BMW and Mercedes now, Iv been in the factory and seen how its all done, The Alloy mix is specified by the OEM hence the structure is more stronger,

Audi fanatic

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by quattrojames View Post
    My oem RS6's are Ronal as are a lot (if not all?)
    Ronal , Borbet and Speedline at least .