Urgent Headlight help needed please

Slinger

Reaction score
I'm currently stuck at someone's house hoping someone might be able to help me with a problem. On my journey here I got a right foglight and right dipped headlight not working errors and the headlight doesnt worok. When I got here I changed over the headlight bulb for a new one but it still didnt work, remembering I had a complete set of replacement headlight and side bulbs also I tried another one and it still doesnt work. Ive looked in my manual for the fuse location but the fuse box cover shows a different layout yet no location for a fuse for the headlights. Does anyone know the location for a 2004 TDI avant headlight and / or if there is another problem causing it? The fact its repotring a fog light error also concerns me.

thanks.

I'm 99% certain the foglights aren't covered by a bulb error system. Is it telling you otherwise?

yes sorry got it wrong before, its reporting rear left foglight and right dipped headlight.

Our cars don't even have a left foglight! Exactly what error are you getting?

first warning says "service" (its said that for the past 2 months, just not had time :( )
second warning says right dipped headlight
third warning says rear left fog light

error.jpg

Yeah spot on mate, apologies for doubting you. I'm not too sure about that, I was under the impression RHD B6's only had an OS rear fog, and I've just been out and confirmed this is true with my car. Maybe the later cars had two? I don't know.

My NS fog has a blank in it, if you look through the lense from outside you can see that, does your's deffo have a bulb in it?

If you've tried two new bulbs in the headlight then the fuse's are the next logical step. have you got the manual with you? I can't remember if there's a diagram inside the cover or not.

Thanks for the replies so far guys, much appreciated.

The fuse location is the reason for me posting really, the manual locates them in different places to what my fuse cover does, and the cover doesnt have any reference for headlights.
The manual states slot 15 & 16 but those are both empty, yet as I have said the diagram on the fuse box cover doesnt list headlights.

they should be in the side of the dash on the drivers side mate, behind a pannel, im not next to my car right now to help you out but my advise is to pull them out 1 by 1 and see if you can find a blown fuse, the only other idea is the head light round switch itself has had it, but TBH iv not seen one go yet,

all uk spec B6's only have O/S fog light, im sure someone else had this problem about a month back, cant remember the out come

Wasn't it some problem with the convinience mode ? coded for left as opposed to right hand drive ?

I'm guessing that cars which are configured to drive on the right hand side have the fog light bulb placed in the other side though, (rear left). So it kinda makes sense that something somewhere is confused. Do you have access to vagcom?

No unfortunately I dont. Tonight Im going to try something else, the rear right light cluster has been leaking presumably the seal has gone, so Im going to take that apart and check the contacts to see if that could be causing it.

possible earth fault caused by the water leaking in? you quite often follow cars with all sorts happening to the lights caused by this.

Ok got to the bottom of this at the weekend, after having the headlight bulb replaced when it was in for 2 new tyres last week the other headlight bulb decided to pop on me on Friday night. Embarrasingly though when I replaced the "headlight" bulbs the previous week I found out that what I had actually replaced was the main beam bulbs! Anyway Saturday morning removed the headlight and replaced the bulb, took me about 20 mins without rushing it, then decided to investigate the "left side rear fog light bulb" problem. As someone has already stated these cars DO NOT have a left sided rear fog light, its empty, so it would seem my car has incorrectly been setup as a european car instead of UK. I changed the RIGHT SIDED bulb and the error has now gone.

Thanks for all the help guys :)

Ok got to the bottom of this at the weekend, after having the headlight bulb replaced when it was in for 2 new tyres last week the other headlight bulb decided to pop on me on Friday night. Embarrasingly though when I replaced the "headlight" bulbs the previous week I found out that what I had actually replaced was the main beam bulbs! Anyway Saturday morning removed the headlight and replaced the bulb, took me about 20 mins without rushing it, then decided to investigate the "left side rear fog light bulb" problem. As someone has already stated these cars DO NOT have a left sided rear fog light, its empty, so it would seem my car has incorrectly been setup as a european car instead of UK. I changed the RIGHT SIDED bulb and the error has now gone.

Thanks for all the help guys :)

Well your loss has been our gain, i a sense of learning something, sometimes something so simple can be the route of all the issues and send you off in all directions looking for the fault, im glad that you have solved the problem and shared it with us as I for one have learnt something new here today,