AH FabricationsChris Nott
    Reverse Gear

Status

2001 A4 Starting problem/hand brake issue

Hi all

I have a problem starting my car, that I know is related to the lights but am unsure what part needs to be replaced? It will only start with parking lights on. I read on another forum that it is the headlight switch? What is that? a fuse? or the part for turning on the lights? Is anyone aware of the issue I am talking about? Is that the right part?

Recently the handbrake is giving an intermittent problem- it has stopped engaging, i.e. there is no tension at all, although it does eventually work. Its just a bit wierd, especially after starting problem.
    ANy ideas?
    Is it likely another electric fault?

2. # ADS
    ADS

Status

My Social Networking

Follow quattrojames On Twitter Add quattrojames on Facebook
    Its the headlight switch itself, the bit you turn.

I don't think the handbrake will be an electrical problem though, more likely a cable/caliper issue.
    Ingolstance Read about my A6 HERE.

1st Gear

Status
    Handbrake will be seized linkages on the rear callipers. I freed mine a few times before finally giving in and fitting new rear callipers

1st Gear

Status
    Watching this with interest as I have also found that without any lights on my 130 Tdi takes a few cranks to start but with the lights on it starts straight away.

What info have you found relating it to the headlight switch as this is all news to me?

Current Car:

A3 S-Line TDI 140bhp Sportback in Misano Red Pearl with Audi Open Sky System, Chrome Roof Rails, Full Leather, Front Armrest with Audi Phone Prep, MFSW, Cruise Control, Auto Wipers, Auto Lights, Auto Dim Mirror, Rear Parking Sensors, Bose Stereo, Privacy Glass, Ambient & Footwell Lighting and Puddle Lights.

Pic soon

Gone but not forgotten:

Audi A4 TDI Sport Avant in Denim Blue
    VW Golf Mk4 GTTDI
    Vauxhall Calibra 2.0 16V 150bhp Red Top
    Vauxhall NovaVAN 1.5TD

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Garfie View Post
    Watching this with interest as I have also found that without any lights on my 130 Tdi takes a few cranks to start but with the lights on it starts straight away.

What info have you found relating it to the headlight switch as this is all news to me?

do a search

about 2 months ago i posted about it as did someone else there is about 3 or 4 posts flying about!!

it is a short in the light switch in the off position that causes the problem the light switch is about 120 from audi

Reverse Gear

Status
    Thanks for that lads. Its the switch itself?? damn, hoped it was a fuse somewhere.. A mechanic told me about it but it got a bit technical for me ()so i just picked up to try starting with parking lihts on and he guaranteed it would start. A fault unique to this a4 series?
    So 120 from Audi?? Wow, might look for a used part if i can.
    And the handbrake is down to (rear) calipers? That ties in well actually. Thanks a lot! Great help guys!
    Last edited by vincenzo_2k; 12th October 2010 at 20:25.

Reverse Gear

Status
    weird is that. i just changed my light switch and now seem to be having starting problems. i think i will try putting in the old switch
    just to see what happens