**CRAZY PAINTER's BUILD THREAD**

crazypainter

Reaction score
Website
www.crazypainter.com
Picked this up a week ago. Atlas grey 1.8T Sport. Great paint. Tight box, clutch, steering. A very together car that has been lovingly looked after by the previous owner (thank you!)
DSCF0262.jpg

DSCF0265.jpg

Hate those rear lights but i am working on that!

Today i decided to make the first modification. I didnt like the way I could see the edge of the air con evaporator panel through the front grille. So I masked it off and painted it in heat proof black paint. (not that it needs to be heat proof!)
BEFORE:

DSCF0271.jpg

AFTER:

DSCF0277.jpg

DSCF0279-1.jpg

Simple but effective I reckon, it was bugging me the way it looked!

I am hoping that Audi Guildford has my pedal rubbers in today so I can pick up and install.

i am trying to sell my Passat as I have now bought this Audi. Its been up for sale for a while but not enough biting going on, so I decided to take the reps of the audi and stick the 18'' holstens on from my Passat as there is quite a difference in value what with the tyres etc. It means i can drop the price of the passat and I hope make it more appealing and ride with the Holstens for a while 'til i find something else. Shame they are so filthy but ran out of time and energy!

DSCF0284.jpg

DSCF0285-1.jpg

Last edited:
Nice idea with the Grill, also like the wheels. Look different.

Just them little touches can make a load difference eh!:yes:

I bought a new (pattern) condenser earlier this year, it was already black :)

Picked up the standard rear lights earlier in the week. I so much prefer them to the Hella Magic's that were on there when I bought the car. I reckon they would look ok on a darker car but my car is too pale a colour to work me thinks.
BEFORE:
DSCF0265.jpg

AFTER:
DSCF0298.jpg

DSCF0297.jpg

rear lights look a million times better. How could anyone ever buy those other lights and think they look better.... :think:

Very nice car.
I have to agree with QuottroA4 on the wheels, no matter what they cost.:puke2:
But hey, thats just my opinion.

The wheels are not that expensive, but they are worth considerably more than the replica RS4's that were on there when I bought it. I am going to stick the Passat on steelies now and keep the RS4 reps as a spare set fro this.Had the oil changed on Friday. Was very pleased to see there was no oil at all really on the undertray and mechanic said it was very dry around the engine. I always go in for oil change every six months.

Gave the old a girl a quick rinse off today and took a few photos. Still ahvent had a chance really to detail the poor thing since I bought it, but it will happen!! Since last post I have bought some privacy blinds that fit all windows from the B pillar back. i had these in my last car as was very pleased with them. These are not quite such a good fit in comparison but I am talking to the manufacturers and they are getting another Audi especially to change their jig and tweek the fit a bit. Its not too bad, but not quite there in my humble opinion. i have the four ring badges front and rear and the chrome boot trim all prepped and in primer ready for the colour I choose........bit of deliberation going on but dont really want to do black, fancy something a little different..

DSCF0353-2.jpg

DSCF0371.jpg

DSCF0371-Copy.jpg

DSCF0380.jpg

DSCF0387-1.jpg

DSCF0390-1.jpg

DSCF0400-1.jpg

DSCF0407.jpg

DSCF0413.jpg

DSCF0417-1.jpg

DSCF0446.jpg

DSCF0465.jpg

Last edited:
I love the wheels mate. I am looking for some of these. If you want to sell them please please let me know :)

Looks good, like a few on here the wheels aren't for me.

The blinds look interesting, have you got any more details?

Looks good, like a few on here the wheels aren't for me.

The blinds look interesting, have you got any more details?

Wheels I have explained earlier in the post and I like them anywya, horses for courses as they say! Blinds are from Palm Automotive. I will post up the results of the tweeked fit ones!

Looks good mate, still loving the wheels and styling.

I agree with iyrix mate, the wheels and styling are doing it for me! I'm intrigued to see the passat they were on too.

Any reason you chose privacy blinds over tinting? I have considered both for mine and personally think I'd go for tinting but really wanna see the pics of the blinds.

Cheers

I agree with iyrix mate, the wheels and styling are doing it for me! I'm intrigued to see the passat they were on too.

Any reason you chose privacy blinds over tinting? I have considered both for mine and personally think I'd go for tinting but really wanna see the pics of the blinds.

Cheers
Some pics of the Passat remapped at MRC, stainless exhaust, coilovers blah blah, long list blah!

DSCF0104.jpg

DSCF0037.jpg

DSCF0374.jpg

DSCF0044.jpg

As for the blinds, they were already installed at the time of taking those last A4 pics . Depends what you want. They are obviously not the same as tints, but I really get on with them. My thinking at the moment is to be able to put this car back to the way I bought it. So I am trying to modify ther car in such a way that I can achieve that. This may all change and I may get carried away again, but thats how I see it right now.

Ah, i remember the passat! I think you posted a few pics when you first joined here, and I liked it back then, very nice car indeed! Is the black roof painted or glass? It suits the car very well.

If it wasn't for having just moved house and needing to redecorate it all i'd be doing more with my car, but i am frequently running out of money at the moment, ha! Can't wait to see what you do with the Audi though, already looks great.

Ah, i remember the passat! I think you posted a few pics when you first joined here, and I liked it back then, very nice car indeed! Is the black roof painted or glass? It suits the car very well.

If it wasn't for having just moved house and needing to redecorate it all i'd be doing more with my car, but i am frequently running out of money at the moment, ha! Can't wait to see what you do with the Audi though, already looks great.
Roof is gloss black paint as were the roof spoiler and mirrors and wheels. I am planning to modify alot more carefully this time. I am trying to sell the Passat and it reminds you how much money you lose doing it! I know its about customising it and making it yours, but as I said earlier, the way I see it right now, I want to be able to snap the car back to the way it was when I bought it. 'Transformodding' yeah... thats the name I reckon!! Colour changes will be by vinyl, or painted if its small parts that can be swapped over. Car has been remapped when I bought it to about 190bhp, but not very impressed with the map, so very tempted in the summer to go to MRC Tuning and get it done properly!! The colour of this car means whatever accent colour I go with, the main body colour will pick it up. Mate suggested Porsche Macadamia which I can see, and I do think bronzey golds would look very good but I also am strong with a warm grey thats darker than than the body colour obviously.

Last edited:
Passat sold at the weekend and is up in Manchester somewhere now. Sad day, miss it already............. alot!
Anyway, back to the Audi........ I read in another post about a thieving lowlife nicking the fog grilles from another forum members votex kit. It wouldnt of been right i think to have replied to that, but I took it as warning and as I have the day off today to use up some remaining holiday, I ordered some security screws and sockets. Unfortunately they cant get them in black japaned so they will just be in stainless and I will install them and just paint the heads black. At least it will stop all but the very most prepared scum...............

I changed the Mass Air Meter recently as I was conviced the car wasnt quite right, just very slightly woolly on the gas. Ended up costing just under £100 from Audi for an exchange unit. Very easy to change and no warning lights up on dash after so dont need to go back to thediagnostics man! All good. Found that the bootlid was sticking on the rubber seal when it gets cold and dont want to tear it so heavily sprayed some paper towel with silicon and ran it around the rubber, it worked a treat at 6am this morning with it being very icy out(no snow yet though!)

I changed the Mass Air Meter recently as I was conviced the car wasnt quite right, just very slightly woolly on the gas. Ended up costing just under £100 from Audi for an exchange unit. Very easy to change and no warning lights up on dash after so dont need to go back to thediagnostics man! All good. Found that the bootlid was sticking on the rubber seal when it gets cold and dont want to tear it so heavily sprayed some paper towel with silicon and ran it around the rubber, it worked a treat at 6am this morning with it being very icy out(no snow yet though!)

£100 for an exchange unit?! £50 from GSF and they are genuine bosch jobbies..glad the replacment worked for you tho - common problem which is pretty straight forward to fix.

Today I had the day off and the two car related things I wanted to get done....I got done. QuattroJames had posted a thread about lubricating the glovebox damper, which I believe is a common failing point on these cars and a costly one also. No wonder they break, they are very flimsy and under-engineered. The second thing was to pick up a couple of coilpacks to keep as spares in the car. I rang GSF to get an idea of price etc. TYhey said they had three ranging from about £21- £28 +VAT I asked the difference as they were all for my car and she replied, well the cheap one is in a brown box, I dont know what the second one is and the third is probably sinilar to the dealer as the price is nearly the same as theirs!! Great answer. So I rang Audi Camberley and I got a 10% discount (normally its 5% on parts ?) as I havd opted into their free loyalty scheme. Worked out at a shade of £30 each. Was interesting to find out that they would not refund on an item I bought from Guildford Audi as they are all franchised.

Changed all the bulbs upfront except the fogs which are ready to go in but not done yet. Changed the indicators from the ugly orange ones to chrome. Blue xenon main beam and also dipped and sidelights are blue but only look blue when they are turned off and just run whiter than standard. Side repeaters are now with black housing instead of chrome but the lens is still clear.

DSC_0157.jpg

Last edited:
Right, i know youve prob told a million folk by now but where did you get those hoofin grills from? theyre fappin beautiful!!!!

Ordered quite a few bits from polished bliss recently ready for a good detailing session very soon. Decided as it is 0 degrees out there today that i would give the Raceglaze Fabric Cleanse a little try out. The mats were bought inside and hoovered with the great little Miele hoover. Sprayed the Raceglaze on very sparingly and it does a great job. there was some heavy staining esp. on drivers mat but is pretty much all come out, there is worn carpet where the drivers feet have been for the last 7 years, but all in all very pleased. Nice aroma without being sickly. Patted them down afterwards with a cloth incase there was any excess then re-hoovered again.
DSCF0528.jpg

DSCF0530.jpg

DSCF0532.jpg

Also been getting quotes for painting of 4 wheels,front and rear ring badges and the bootlid trim that was in chrome finish. Need to find a good vinyl wrapper in the area to get the roof done also..........

Nipped out to take a couple of pics over on another thread about headlight bulbs so seeing as i hadnt put any pics up with the lights on in my bit earlier where i had changed the bulbs, I will now !!

DSCF0541.jpg

DSCF0539-1.jpg

Changed my side repeaters to black a little while ago and last weekend managed to get around to painting front and rear 4ring badges black have yet to do the boot trim which is sat in primer ready for black and laquer! That is the last bit of chrome on the car other than the headlights which i have no plans to change. Going to have to get the roof done soon i think. Very tempted to have a go at wrapping it myself, there is no sunroof aor aerial to worry about so maybe its do-able ! Few pics with black badges and repeaters, , STILL waiting to detail the car. I have nearly all the stuff now, just waiting for a little break in the weather and a less moisture sitting in the air.

DSCF0593-1.jpg

DSCF0598.jpg

DSCF0606.jpg

DSCF0580.jpg

DSCF0585.jpg

And this last one I thought I would see what happens if I use the red eye reduction but on the rear lenses !

DSCF0608.jpg

Last edited:
It's a nice looking car. I'm not sure on the red eyed rear lights! (Or the wheels, but we've covered that before) :thumbsup:

Yeee Haaaaa ! Final bit of chrome disappeared this morning. I replaced the chrome boot trim with the satin black one i have been working on. doesnt make a huge diiference but it was annoying me being the last bit to do.

A little bit of detailing work today and gotta say it doesnt get easier than this! So i cleaned engine bay with APC 10:1 and agitated around the Audi badge and little dirt collection points etc. Then around 10.30 this morning the 303 turned up. so at about 12.30 I applied it in my lunchbreak. And then closed the bonnet and walked away. These are pics are about 5 hrs later. Still turning to a satin finish. But I am very, very happy with the result.
DSCF0627.jpg

DSCF0628.jpg

DSCF0630.jpg