AH FabricationsChris Nott

Thread: Cleaning EGR

1st Gear

Status

Cleaning EGR

Hi,

On and off over the past few months my car has been having poor acceleration & hesitation problems up to about 3000rpm then it goes fine. After some searchin on the net it seems to point to the EGR may need cleaning. Its now just over 150k and as far as I know it hasn't ever been cleaned. I've used millers on every fill up since I've owned it which is coming up to 2 yrs now, which should have kept some of the carbon build up at bay.

What I would like to know is, can it be cleaned on the car or if its best to take it off to clean it. Also, is it also advisable to also take of the inlet manifold and give that a clean at the same time.

I apologise if this has been covered numerous times and any advice is appreciated.

P.s. Its a 1.9 TDI on a 51 plate, AWX engine.

2. # ADS
    ADS

wax on, wax off

Status
    take it off mate and do the intake manifold at the same time. the build up inside the egr will need a good soak and scrub. i used autoglym machine cleaner on my old egr valve and it worked well with a stiff brush. i have heard you can soak it in petrol overnight but dont fancy it myself.

1st Gear

Status
    Cheers mate, I'll do that. Are they easy to get off?

Also some mentioned to me that I should also look at fitting a Oil Catch tank to catch the oil vapour and stop it going into the intake system. Has anyone done this mod and is it worth doing?

Audi fanatic

Status
    You dont need an oil catch tank
    that wont stop the oil mist in the inlet thats mainly caused by the turbo
    the best thing you can do is make a plate up and block off the ERG pipe alltogether
    ive done it for over 12months now
    clean inlet which also means no harsh carbon deposits going down my bores and the turbo spools up a little quick too
    All good

BMW aye right dead on..

Status
    mate i took mine of manifold aswell and soaked it in alloy wheel cleaner for a while then scrubbed it with a wire brush and emery paper. i put it back on an kept the small hose pipe that goes onto the top of it off and blocked the pipe with a 6 mm bolt and small clamp cause that pipe opens the egr valve and lets in warm exaust gasses and all the other **** that comes with it. i bought two blank off plates and done away with the pipe that comes from the manifold and goes to the egr valve cause it isnt needed. now theres hardly any smoke out the back of my car and its a good bit sharper too. whats the point in feeding your engine warm air when the intercooler is supposed to be cooling the air down from the turbo cause thats what an egr valve does it feeds warm air into your fuel mixture defeating the purpose off your intercooler...
    2002 1.9 tdi 130ish brake a4. full reiger body kit, 19 inch rs6 avant rims, eibach springs, home made grill, full leather interior, centre arm rest, quad powerflow exausts, a few engine mods, chrome door mirrors, aero wipers, s line door blades.

Audi fanatic

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by BASS 666 View Post
    what an egr valve does it feeds warm air into your fuel mixture defeating the purpose off your intercooler...
    Yes but the main point of EGR is exhaust gas recirculation
    which is soot / and worse carbon deposits
    the egr being blocked gives a quicker spool up because all of the exhaust gas goes through the turbo and doesnt get wasted in the egr system
    from idle

BMW aye right dead on..

Status
    an egr valve is a waste of time and i would take it out if it wasnt for the butterfly flap inside. it stops the engine vibrating and shuttering when you turn it off.
    2002 1.9 tdi 130ish brake a4. full reiger body kit, 19 inch rs6 avant rims, eibach springs, home made grill, full leather interior, centre arm rest, quad powerflow exausts, a few engine mods, chrome door mirrors, aero wipers, s line door blades.

Audi fanatic

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by BASS 666 View Post
    an egr valve is a waste of time and i would take it out if it wasnt for the butterfly flap inside. it stops the engine vibrating and shuttering when you turn it off.
    I totally agree
    the plate on the exhaust side works a treat
    but yes the flap on the inlet needs to stay .

6th Gear

Status
    any of you guys near thanet i need all mine cleand plus the all the bits to do with the n75 valve as i put a new one on it and it still gose to limp mode some times ;-(

BMW aye right dead on..

Status
    your car going into limp mode can be a number of things. i worked at a caddy van for 3 days cause it was going into limp mode. i changed everything and even tryed a borrowed turbo it turned out to be the ecu was fked so good luck mate..

Audi fanatic

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by simon2004 View Post
    any of you guys near thanet i need all mine cleand plus the all the bits to do with the n75 valve as i put a new one on it and it still gose to limp mode some times ;-(
    could be turbo vaines and a lot of things people over look is the Map sensor .

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by paul20v View Post
    could be turbo vaines and a lot of things people over look is the Map sensor .
    Lol, did you mean the MAF sensor?
    Audi A4 1.9TDI Quattro Sport in Black - Turbo Dynamics Re-Worked Std Turbo, De-CAT, EGR mod, Remap, RS4 RARB, Koni FSD's and 320m DTM brakes up front.
    Factory fit - HID's (Osram CBI 5k bulbs), Bose, Comfort Pack, Folding Mirrors, Cruise.

Bro.Paul 2.5TDI Quattro Sport

Status
    Northampton, Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by QuottroA4 View Post
    Lol, did you mean the MAF sensor?
    LOL

BMW aye right dead on..

Status
    theres a map sensor and a maf sensor in audis.

Audi fanatic

Status
    MAP mate
    Manifold Actual Pressure
    on the 1.9tdi A4 it located at the rear of the engine on the right hand side in the pressure pipe you cant miss it .

6th Gear

Status
    is that a no to any one being near me ;-(

BMW aye right dead on..

Status
    yes its a no lol.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by paul20v View Post
    the best thing you can do is make a plate up and block off the ERG pipe alltogether
    Cheers for the replies, When I take it of to clean it I'll also block off the EGR pipe with a blanking plate.

I've seen the blanking plates on ebay for a few quid and I guess you would need 2 of these, one to bolt the EGR and one to the manifold.

People seem to have used different cleaners to clean theres, are there any recommendations as to which is best?

Also, on average how long does it take to remove the manifold 7 EGR from the car, clean it and the put it all back together?

Audi fanatic

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by way318 View Post
    Cheers for the replies, When I take it of to clean it I'll also block off the EGR pipe with a blanking plate.

I've seen the blanking plates on ebay for a few quid and I guess you would need 2 of these, one to bolt the EGR and one to the manifold.
    Just 1 on the exhaust side of the egr pipe ,
    job done .

BMW aye right dead on..

Status
    im a fussy **** i put a plate on the egr valve incase it drew in a bit of air through the bottom. i know it wont but i didnt take any chances. taking it all off and cleaning it only takes an hour it depends how much you clean it cause some of them are really bad and it can take a while.

1st Gear

Status
    Did you use any gaskets between the blanking plate and the exhaust manifold and one on the EGR?

When I take off the inlet manifold I'll use a new one for that when I re-fit it, but just wondered about the blanking plates.

BMW aye right dead on..

Status
    on the egr i used a wee drop of silicone and on the manifold i used a drop of exaust paste round the edges. the paste i got was in a small tube and pretty easy to work with unlike gun gum. sorry cant remember the name of the paste.

2nd Gear

Status
    Would this do for my 1.9 tdi quattro AVF engine?

How many would I need? 2?

And do you not have to map out the EGR once balnked?
    Audi Avant A4 54 1.9Tdi Quattro & Leon Cupra R 2005 1.8T remapped to 275bhp