avant bootlid plastics removal info req!

Leaky Lloyd

Reaction score
can anyone give any info or illustrations on removing the rear bootlid internal trim on an avant please
dont want to snap anything thats all!
cheers!

I'm not too sure on the avant but on mine I had to remove some screws which were behind the warning triangle , internal handles and behind plastic gromits, then the rest of it was just on plugs behind the trim which with a bit of pulling will unplug themselves - it's just a case of looking at every possible area for screws then giving it a little wrench!

Tailgate1.jpg

Tailgate2.jpg

:eek: how i wish i had known in the past about that tool!!! without it = hours of swearing and giving up!!

off!!! cheers fella's.. lets hope putting it back on is easier!!!!

Yes it's an unbelievably hard thing to remove, you'd think it was a structural part of the car.

As above, absolute nightmare to remove. I undid all the screws and managed to pull it off from the bottom edge and sides but could never get it to release from the top where it joins in with the window trims.

It gave me the access I needed to check the rear washer pipe though so just left it connected at the top.

Sods law though, when I went to refit it I was trying to flex it to get the clips to go back in the slots in the bootlid and the whole thing just came off in my hand. Why it couldnt have been that easy when I was trying to take it off I don't know!!

Keep pulling!!!

Fingers under the bottom edge and short sharp pulls until you get the clips to release

when i did mine i prized the side of the trim up just enough to get a long flat head screwdriver into the first metal clip, a quick twist sideways and it released, from then on it was all gravy.

:eek: how i wish i had known in the past about that tool!!! without it = hours of swearing and giving up!!

You can unhook the fasteners at the top of the trim without the special tool by extracting the six metal clips then grabbing the top of the trim right in the middle by the wash / wipe mechanism (you should be just about able to get your fingers between the trim and the window glass) and pulling the trim away from the window as far as it will go. The trim should flex in such a way that the fasteners at the top should pop out. I only know this as I have spent three Saturday afternoons trying to get the bleeding thing off and this method finally worked for me.

Reactions: crazy88
It is indeed a pig of a job. When I did mine I managed to get enough clearance to get some spray lube onto the clips - that helped. Mike.

It is indeed a pig of a job. When I did mine I managed to get enough clearance to get some spray lube onto the clips - that helped. Mike.

Agreed. Once I had wrestled the bottom two clips out I had enough room to get a pair of needle-nose pliers in behind the remaining clips to squeeze them out which saved a lot of effing and jeffing as well.

You can unhook the fasteners at the top of the trim without the special tool by extracting the six metal clips then grabbing the top of the trim right in the middle by the wash / wipe mechanism (you should be just about able to get your fingers between the trim and the window glass) and pulling the trim away from the window as far as it will go. The trim should flex in such a way that the fasteners at the top should pop out. I only know this as I have spent three Saturday afternoons trying to get the bleeding thing off and this method finally worked for me.

You have literally made my day! I could not for the life of me remove the last two clips right at the top but your method worked a treat. Thanks!