Volks AutosAH Fabrications
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: number plate light bulb holders

1st Gear

Status
    why the bloody hell as a picture of our kid pumping a transit van tyre up appeared on my post ??????? PMSL!!!
    Remember that,, blow out in a tranny at 90 on the m1,, smashin stuff !!!!

2. # ADS
    ADS

T0m
    2nd Gear

Status
    Hey guys Ive been to the local DIY stores and I cannot find any M3 x 20 STAINLESS ALLEN BOLT CAP SCREWS any ideas people I know ebay is an option but Id like to buy and get them there and then if your with me and I only want a couple not a whole pack!ThanksTom

shifting to Hyperspace... .

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by T0m View Post
    Hey guys Ive been to the local DIY stores and I cannot find any M3 x 20 STAINLESS ALLEN BOLT CAP SCREWS any ideas people I know ebay is an option but Id like to buy and get them there and then if your with me and I only want a couple not a whole pack!ThanksTom
    As linked above 20 screws for £1.85 inc. P&P is not so bad IMO - always handy to have spares.

You could try a local "fastenings" trade counter - do a local Google search and see what pops up.
    2001 A4 Saloon 3.0 Quattro Sport Tiptronic - Platinum Leather/Heated Front Seats/BOSE/DIS/Cruise Control
    Retrofits:GmBH Bumpers, F&R Ambient LEDS, OEM Valeo Xenons (D2S) & Headlight Washers, Auto-dipping RVM, Footwell Lights, Vent Control illumination, ISO-Fix, RNS-E & OEM Bluetooth + VIMhack + Video i-pod & Aux inputs, Rear PDC, Powerflow 100mm Tips, Reversing Camera
    2012 A4 Saloon 2.0 TDIe Technik (163ps)
    Diagnostics:VCDS HEX+USB+CAN Cable

T0m
    2nd Gear

Status
    Hey Woorlord thanks for the reply and Ive had a butchers but cannot find anything not even screwfix sell them so looks like ebay it is!Thanks

LIVERPOOL

Status
    I couldn't find any either Tom, so I just got some of Ebay aswell.

They were easy enough to fit, thanks to Leaky Lloyd for the guide.

A few pics bit of a difference eh?

T0m
    2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse View Post
    I couldn't find any either Tom, so I just got some of Ebay aswell.

They were easy enough to fit, thanks to Leaky Lloyd for the guide.

A few pics bit of a difference eh?

Looks good Scouse and looks like Ive got to waste money on 20 screws that I will only use 2 of them, ok I know its only £2 but I hate having packets and packets of screws for packets sake! Dont fancy sending me a few do ya fella and I'll chuck you a drink!!

LIVERPOOL

Status
    Alright Tom, I've got 2 here pm me your details and i'll send you some freebies

5th Gear

Status
    I will be doing mine this weekend - saw this thread a few weeks ago after wanting to change to LEDs - decided to leave them alone.
    That was until one of the bulbs went yesterday!

1st Gear

Status
    Just got all mine apart, well corroded it was both screws snapped to gotta replace whole, maybe even lock, mine is an 02 plate avant can I get the plastic replacement for mine surely the later model part is the same fitment

5th Gear

Status
    Well, managed to get mine done over the weekend.

Looking through the cars service history, when the car was serviced in June of last year (2011) at an Audi dealership - they have charged to replace the plinth and lenses at a cost of £162.
    The plynth and lenses were quite clearly the original parts fitted to the car when I was working on it over the weekend!

Neutral

Status
    Thanks for all the info guys. Much appreciated.

My screws where badly seized on so I drilled them out and replaced the lenses and put some leds in. Got new pressed plates on also.
    Led on the right.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

1st Gear

Status
    Chris555, i tried to reply with quote but just hanged anyway the middle pic of the moulding looks different than mine, mine is plastic not metal behind and the wiring looks differnet i have a problem with my bulbs not working i removed them now they do not work any ideas?

Status

My Social Networking

Follow quattrojames On Twitter Add quattrojames on Facebook
    LED Bulbs? They usually have to be put in the correct way round.
    Ingolstance Read about my A6 HERE.

Neutral

Status
    That's right, they are one way only, turn them round and see if they come on.

1st Gear

Status
    Normal bulbs just not sat in right, anyway the standard bulbs are really dim. So what is a good led bulb to buy?

Neutral

Status
    I bought these as per the pic of mine above. - eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

3rd Gear

Status
    I bought some LED replacement lights (include lenses as a full unit) off ebay.

My screws are rounded so ordered a new Panel from TPS as well, but it wasn't £27 it was £52 + VAT. :-0
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _
    Driving a 2004 B6 Audi S4 - Stage 2

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________

3rd Gear

Status
    mine was more expensive because it was complete with handle, lenses etc and, I just kept the lenses and bulbs as spares, and used all new for the handle etc, why not.

I used the same eBay LED lamps as scouse, very happy with the results.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _
    Driving a 2004 B6 Audi S4 - Stage 2

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________

5th Gear

Status
    For rounded off screw heads - use a dremel with the finest cutting disc you can find and cut a flat slot straight across the screw head and then use a flat blade screwdriver instead. Has worked a treat on the last 3 Audis I've worked on
    KO_81 likes this.

Turbo Sport

Status

number plate light bulb holders

Great thread guys thanks for the ideas and clues to sort this bloody problem I have !
    I bought a convertable in the wettest country in the world who says Scotsmen dont have a sense of humour !

"Lets fire up the Quattro" DCI Gene hunt,,,,,,,ashes to ashes

Turbo Sport

Status
    This going to sound daft but does anyone know what size the bulbs are ?
    there is 3 listings on ebay .36mm,37mm and 42mm!!!
    I bought a convertable in the wettest country in the world who says Scotsmen dont have a sense of humour !

"Lets fire up the Quattro" DCI Gene hunt,,,,,,,ashes to ashes

Neutral

Status
    Thanks everyone for the info on here. Still an absolute PITA to do though. I ended up taking the strip out of the boot as both of the screw were rounded off. I was able to dremel a line through the screws and get a big flathead in there to open them up, I did try an impact driver on it first (with the strip removed and in a vice..) but all I ended up doing was bashing the connector / holder part of the unit right through, and broke it away from the strip itself.. ! :-(

A long enough and strong enough screw though is now holding the whole thing together, with a bit of sealant, and bobs your uncle. Two working number plate lights!

Why oh why to car manufacturers insist on making life tricky?!

Oh also - bear in mind it you take the strip out, there is a bolt hidden behind the plastic unit that protects the metal bar of the opening mechanism - couldnt find it at first!
    Audi A4 (B7) 2.0TDi S-Line Cabriolet
    NAV (RNS-E) / BOSE / FULL BLACK LEATHER / WINTER PACK

3rd Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Add GeoffDunk on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by quattrojames View Post
    At least you can get the screws out lol

I bought THESE - which were recommended by lots on here.
    Just fitted these ones too, got them delivered 3 weeks ago but only got round to fitting this weekend, they are great, no errros and super bright, very nice.

Audi S4 quattro in Dolphin Grey Metallic, Silver leather, carbon inlays, RNS-E, 6 speed manual, electrically adjustable & heated seats, xenon headlights with power wash, cruise control, storage pack, 18" OEM RS4 wheels, RS4 ARB, LED lighting upgrade, FASH plus every bill since new.

Neutral

Status

Angry Bulb changing the Audi way

I too have had the "pleasure" of needing to change number plate bulbs on an A4. Like so many others the retaining screws on the lenses were $%^&ed, but I was not able to remove them at all even after butchering the lenses. I ran the car with a lashed up fix for a while but now have bitten the bullet and replaced the whole moulding. This cost me €48 + €18 for new lenses!

IMG_2221.jpg
    The temporary solution- a self tapper & some silicone, worked OK but a bit worrying in the rain.

IMG_2220.jpg
    The original moulding removed, with that familiar "Captain Nemo" finish

IMG_2218.jpg
    Thanks to the detailed instructions in this thread I managed to fit the new moulding without too much difficulty, except of course the bits where it says "disconnect the electrical connector" like it was in any way easy or obvious how to do this???? Every connector on the car seems to have a different clip system and they are all a ***** to get off . I fitted the standard bulbs and screws temporarily till my Ebay LED bulbs turn up. Copper grease is on order.

IMG_2222.jpg
    Obviously 1hour after I finish fitting the old style bulbs the postman calls.... Hopefully I will not have to do this again for a while. All I need now is some Stainless Steel M3 hex head replacement screws, Ebay again I suppose??

Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread, I certainly would never have figured any of this out for myself!

P.S. Can anyone point me to a thread explaining how to post images properly? I have tried to search both FAQ and whole forum but no joy. I am baffled by the attachment manager which seems to have a mind of its own and all my images appear tiny in my posts. Clearly I am doing it all wrong somehow?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by morrisonbrink; 12th October 2013 at 18:12.

Collecting Rings

Status
    Legendary thread, same issue here, I managed to persuade the screws out using some voodoo magic and witchcraft and will replace now with M3 x 12mm Cap Heads! Thanks!!

Neutral

Status

Talking number plate light cover hell

Omg just done. mine was not Easy,screws were almost welded in. Your guides were helpful took advice put hex screws in, boot Liner off now got to fit resistors
    Lol post a pic when done. MikeIMG_20140118_210032.jpgIMG_20140120_192906.jpg
    Last edited by mikeb7; 20th January 2014 at 21:24.

Reverse Gear

Status
    mine are stuck in there is the easiest way to remove them to break the lense??

Status

My Social Networking

Drill into the lens around the bolt, prise the lens out and use some mole grips to wind the screw out.

Fire up the Quattro!

Status
    I did mine in mid Jan, screws were fine? Albeit, a bit rusty on the surface but certainly not stuck fast. I now have a white rear underglow from the LED lights lol. they are very very bright.

2002 2.5 V6 Quattro
    Mods Done: Q5 Rear aero wiper. Front ambient light install. Led number plate lens. Towbar with 13pin electrics.
    Mods to complete: Sport shocks to go with Eibach pro springs. Fit 17" 5 star matt black wheels. Fix lack of torque at low revs. Get a custom exhaust system fitted.

FOR SALE - Eibach Pro Sport springs for a 2.5 V6 B6/7 PM ME.

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by quattrojames View Post
    Drill into the lens around the bolt, prise the lens out and use some mole grips to wind the screw out.
    Mine were so far gone that it was impossible to get the screws out with mole grips, they just sheared off in place, so I had to replace the whole housing. See above

Neutral

Status
    Its a pain in the neck the screw sit flush and have to. Get the plastic underneath it out then with pointed. Molegrips wind out the screw. Took. Me a while you wont get them out without breaking the lens covers, good luck with it

Status

My Social Networking

Quote Originally Posted by morrisonbrink View Post
    Mine were so far gone that it was impossible to get the screws out with mole grips, they just sheared off in place, so I had to replace the whole housing. See above
    So were mine if you see the pictures earlier in this thread.

Incidentally I still have my replacement light surround and loom from the A4 if anybody is needing one.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Would it be the same for a saloon?

Neutral

Status
    Think its a universal part. Check with Audi for part numbers for your car as the there is a left and right

Neutral

Status
    Anyone have a couple of the replacement screws at all?

2nd Gear

Status
    You can get them on EBay.

Neutral

Status
    Anyone have trouble removing the key lock barrel from the light surround?? Mine just WILL NOT come out

Reverse Gear

Status
    Great info in this thread. One of my bulbs had gone and de-headed. So retrofitted LED's

I took out the strip
    drilled round the plastic as per page one thread
    Used molly grips to get screw out (touch and go with one must say........)
    Noticed blown bulb rear contacts were badly corroded (probably not blown bulb but duff contacts)
    Used some contact cleaner (electrolube!) and wire wool to clean contacts
    New LED's in (must say nevous about them rotating round so they don't shine out no more- any ideas?)
    New lenses, s/s cap screws, copper slip......HAPPY DAYZ!

Ebay parts -
    Audi Number Plate Lamp 8E0807430B RIGHT | eBay
    Audi Number Plate Lamp 8E0807430A LEFT | eBay
    M3 x 12 STAINLESS ALLEN BOLT CAP SCREW 20 + 10% EX FREE | eBayCARLUBE COPPER SLIP 20g MULTI PURPOSE ANTI SEIZE ASSEMBLY COMPOUND GREASE | eBay
    2x 36mm 6SMD 5050 LED 239 C5W Canbus Error Free White Feston Bulb AUDI | eBay

Photos-
    20140413_161427.jpg
    20140505_151445.jpg
    20140506_203353.jpg

BOOOOOOOMMMMMMM!!!!!!!

1st Gear

Status
    Looks good :D

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234