Quattro Tyres Question?

nozdog

Reaction score
Hi I have not long got my 190 Quattro and would like to know does it make a difference the the tyres are different make front and back? The front tyres are Goodyear Excellence and the back tyres are Avon zz3, the tyres front and back are not the old should I have the same make front and back? Tyres depths are as follows NSF 7,8mm OSF 6,8mm NSR 6,5mm OSR 6,5mm. Any help would be greatfull Nozdog

Last edited:
This is asked many times, and causes disagreement each time it's asked!

My view, and one that is written in the handbook as well, is that four tyres of the same make/tread pattern/compound is the only requirement.

Some say tread depths must be the same front to rear also, but that's unnecessary.

In my own experience, I felt a definite shunting front to rear when pulling out of junctions when I had mis matched tyres. Now all four are the same type of tyre, though still not identical tread depth wise, I have no such issues.

I would just go and find two more goodyears to match the fronts. Stick the ZZ3's on eBay!

Last edited:
Hi just had a ring round and Goodyear have discontinued the excellence. Just for now would I be better of putting the avons on the front and buying 2 new avons for the rear as thease should wear out about the same time as the fronts? The only thing is the fronts will be about 6,5mm and the new rear tyres will be about 10mm? Should there not be more than 2mm difference front to back?

I have 4 Avons on my S4 I get untold roadnoise, truly awful. Will be replacing them when funds allow! Would try to use a tyre if I were you.

Chris :)

I have just put 2 Goodyear F1 Eagles on the front of my Quattro, and the rear has Pirelli P-Zeros - these will be changed next week (just need to get together another £300!!)

As it is at the moment I can feel no difference or problems, the fronts are new and the rears are old and very worn. All I can say though is that I have been hugely impressed with the Goodyears - very little road noise at all - very noticeable difference to the Pirellis

i used to run my quattro with dunlop sport max - great grip and ok for road noise. used to have different front & back and never noticed any difference.

I have 4 Avons on my S4 I get untold roadnoise, truly awful. Will be replacing them when funds allow! Would try to use a tyre if I were you.

Chris :)
Ive used avons on and off for years and have had no issues with bad road noise ,
maybe you have a bad set
who knows .