Volks AutosMonster Motorsport
    Neutral

Status

Quattro Tyres Question?

Hi I have not long got my 190 Quattro and would like to know does it make a difference the the tyres are different make front and back? The front tyres are Goodyear Excellence and the back tyres are Avon zz3, the tyres front and back are not the old should I have the same make front and back? Tyres depths are as follows NSF 7,8mm OSF 6,8mm NSR 6,5mm OSR 6,5mm. Any help would be greatfull Nozdog
    Last edited by nozdog; 23rd September 2010 at 10:24.

Audi A4 Quattro 190
    Seat toledo V5 170
    Seat toledo 2.0 16v

2. # ADS
    ADS

3rd Gear

Status
    This is asked many times, and causes disagreement each time it's asked!

My view, and one that is written in the handbook as well, is that four tyres of the same make/tread pattern/compound is the only requirement.

Some say tread depths must be the same front to rear also, but that's unnecessary.

In my own experience, I felt a definite shunting front to rear when pulling out of junctions when I had mis matched tyres. Now all four are the same type of tyre, though still not identical tread depth wise, I have no such issues.

I would just go and find two more goodyears to match the fronts. Stick the ZZ3's on eBay!
    Last edited by Tooks; 23rd September 2010 at 09:51.
    Audi S3 - 2002MY - Denim Blue

Neutral

Status
    Hi just had a ring round and Goodyear have discontinued the excellence. Just for now would I be better of putting the avons on the front and buying 2 new avons for the rear as thease should wear out about the same time as the fronts? The only thing is the fronts will be about 6,5mm and the new rear tyres will be about 10mm? Should there not be more than 2mm difference front to back?

Audi A4 Quattro 190
    Seat toledo V5 170
    Seat toledo 2.0 16v

1st Gear

Status
    I have 4 Avons on my S4 I get untold roadnoise, truly awful. Will be replacing them when funds allow! Would try to use a tyre if I were you.

Chris

DOPE with added OCD

Status
    I have just put 2 Goodyear F1 Eagles on the front of my Quattro, and the rear has Pirelli P-Zeros - these will be changed next week (just need to get together another 300!!)

As it is at the moment I can feel no difference or problems, the fronts are new and the rears are old and very worn. All I can say though is that I have been hugely impressed with the Goodyears - very little road noise at all - very noticeable difference to the Pirellis

1st Gear

Status
    Pirelli P Zero Rosso's all the way!
    Audi RS4 B7 Saloon in Mugello Blue

1st Gear

Status
    i used to run my quattro with dunlop sport max - great grip and ok for road noise. used to have different front & back and never noticed any difference.
    wish i'd bought a beemer now....

Audi fanatic

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by cfoster View Post
    I have 4 Avons on my S4 I get untold roadnoise, truly awful. Will be replacing them when funds allow! Would try to use a tyre if I were you.

Chris
    Ive used avons on and off for years and have had no issues with bad road noise ,
    maybe you have a bad set
    who knows .

1st Gear

Status
    the road surface may have something to do with it - round my way the roads are crap.
    wish i'd bought a beemer now....