Sidelight bulb out warnings.

quattrojames

Staff member
Reaction score
My LED's have never given me any problems, and I do have the full DIS so have the bulb out warning system.

Can anyone confirm whether or not this covers the front sidelights?

Yes they would. I have the same. Sometimes the sidelights don't cause a bulb out error, but do blink. All solved with a 50ohm resistor.

Thanks, I know about the resistor bit, I'm just looking for confirmation that sidelights are covered by the bulb out warning system?

can you not take one out and turn ignition on to see if you get any errors?

Lol well yeh I could - but I was hoping someone might know off the top of the head without me having to take the headlight off!

I replaced a sidelight bulb in my A4 today, I had no bulb warning at all, it was a farmer who told me one of mine was out as I was pulled over waiting for his sheep to go around the car!

I'm not sure if they're all the same (I have the full display too), but on mine it doesn't cover sidelights. My old A3 was the same, I only got warnings for dipped/main and the rear brake and tail lights.

Thanks, I know about the resistor bit, I'm just looking for confirmation that sidelights are covered by the bulb out warning system?
Yes front sidelights are covered by bulb failure on the DIS, and indicates left or right failure.

One of my 9xLEDs failed (after ~12months / flashing) in the cold weather a couple winters back and kept popping up on DIS, when it got warmer 9xLED was good again.
So changed to 15xLEDs and no problem since.

Also note that the rear license plate bulbs are wired in parallel and will show a DIS error if both bulbs fail. No error if one bulb fails. I have a standard bulb and a Reversing Camera built in LED so no errors on DIS from Licence plate lights - was prepared with a power resistor but was not required in the end.

Thanks Woorlord, you're right the front sidelights are covered by the bulb error system.

The reason I knows this....? Typically one of the front sidelights (my 9 LED Tower units) failed to light today! I tried it a second time and it was fine, but so many of the individual LED's are burnt out I need to replace them soon. I wrote to Ultraleds to say that I was a bit disappointed that despite their claims of longevity I was a bit disappointed after two and a half years they had began to fail. I enclose their reply for comedy value.....

Hi,

Thanks for letting us know. The 9 led 501 came with a 90 day warranty so I
am glad you have managed to get 2 and a half years use out of them.

Regards

Ultraleds

90 days is pathetic for a solid state device - there is no filament, no moving parts!

Never had to change a side light on the A4 before I purchased LED ones. Only swapped to LEDs to get a better colour match with my Xenons.
On my second set of LED's as mentioned previously.

Last edited:
Just did a search on warning lights/bulb failure as I am expericncing a slight problem with my S3. In recent times (after washing the car) I get a bulb failure warning on the dash and have noticed the nearside sidelight is out. Sometimes this happens the morning after washing the previous day. The bulb hasn't gone though as half way throught the journey it sorts itself out esespecially when turning from auto lights to manual selection.

Does this sound like a clear case of moisture finding its way into a connection somewhere?

The car is going in for a big service soon and so I am hoping there is a permanant fix for this.

Cheers