problems .......and problems !

vw754

vorsprung Durch Technik
Reaction score
A4 tdi awx engine was losing water for sometime now,drove perfect apart from water dissapearing........anyway it was driven down the motorway a few days ago and after around 50 miles.....coolant 'low' light came on,pulled in the services(temp now on the red!) waited and then put water in it,car lost power and smokes that bad that i had to call rac out as it was not fit to be driven as the smoke was very bad! mix of whitish/blueish smoke......any idea?

i had this on my last car and it was head gasket gone mate i did not have the normal warter with oil mixing i had no idea at all but if i put my heating on full on hot it come out cold ish and all so the main rad pipe looked like it was going to pop and was drinking warter

Last edited:
yeah,turbo aswell or would it smoke cause of that....replacement engine be better or head job...cars done over 180k

mine smoked like a blue ish smoke so did not pass mot thats when it come out what it was. i think if its just the head get a new one but like my old car it worped so much it was not worth it as it would just go again i was looking at a bill of £1100 on a vaxhal victra so would be better to get new engine in my eyes

My old 2.0TDi SEAT used to white smoke and drink coolent... Head gasket had gone.

head gasket, my mate has the 1.9 TDI passat, his used to use coolant like yours, but him being a cheap skate, he ran a pipe from the over flow on the expansion bottle to another pop/plastic bottle, then poured the cooant back in. i think the out come with his was head gasket and a new head!

so get it done asap

head gasket, my mate has the 1.9 TDI passat, his used to use coolant like yours, but him being a cheap skate, he ran a pipe from the over flow on the expansion bottle to another pop/plastic bottle, then poured the cooant back in. i think the out come with his was head gasket and a new head!

so get it done asap

Thanks,its my friends car,i had the b6 2 year ago and now i own the a3 sportback.......your b6 looks nice mate.