Engine swop......

vw754

vorsprung Durch Technik
Reaction score
Im due to get the engine replaced in a friends car,its 'AWX engine code,if i get another with the same code is that the best way? am i right in saying a different engine code will fit but i may have issues with the imobiliser?

Hmm

id like to know the answer to this question too

anyone?

Different engine code is going to be a different spec. so same code is your best bet. as same spec.

awx and avf are both 130bhp.......what diff specs are they?

awx is one of the first 1.9 engines i think as i had one of these in a 2001 y reg passat! the fuel filter fuel cooler was differant and it was no way as refined as the avf in my 04 130 saloon!

I've decided to do the same thing with my a4 1.8T quattro sport (AJV) i've sourced a engine complete with turbo from a golf gti turbo (AUM) 150bhp?

The server SLUDGE and smokey turbo i plan to have it up and running by next weekend if the engines are compatible ? if not then back to the drawing board.

im sure you will need the ecu from the same car,and the dash clocks if you have the b6 a4.

awx and avf are both 130bhp.......what diff specs are they?
Engines years ago were easy if they had different codes you could normally just change the mechanical differences like carbs etc. - did this on a VW Passat MK1 (T-reg!) many years ago after the cam seized owing to a oil problem.
However, today's engines are very reliant on electronics and have ECU's and a mile more wiring with various sensors. So swapping for the same engine code should not be a problem - but a different engine code will be reliant on it's ECU. As said the ECU and instrument cluster need to be coded together as part of the immobiliser function - requires an SKC number etc.