EM TuningBadger5
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: 1.9 TDI 130 Economy

Neutral

Status

1.9 TDI 130 Economy

For those who have read a few of posts you may recall that due to getting iffy about the Multitronic gearbox on the 2.5TDI model i owned, i recently changed to a 1.9 tdi 130.

In doing so i was looking forward to the much better economy figures acording to book figures, however I am a little dissapointed in the difference. Around town i seem to be getting in the 30-40mpg range according to the DIS and have only scraped into 50mpg once on the motorway and that was driving like a saint at 65-70 and going down hills with no power on.

I had a B5 1.9 110TDI a year or so ago and that was leaps ahead, over 40mpg everywhere and 54 on motorway easily and that was with a blow in the front of the exhaust.

What sort of mpg figures are 1.9 130 owners getting please and if it is more than what i have stated above what reasons could there be that my economy is so poor.

cheers folks
    Nath78 likes this.
    52 Audi A4 Avant B6 1.9 TDi 130

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    I was expecting better when I bought one tbh.

I get roughly 550 - 580 on a full tank which is a mixture of town and distance driving.

Neutral

Status
    what mpg does your dis read in town and on the motorway?

5th Gear

Status
    get around 650 - 680 miles on a tank, get over 50 mpg on the motorway

1st Gear

Status
    When I had my 1.9 tdi I used to get around 500 to the tank - mixture of town and short dual carriageway drives. on the motorway I used to get around 45mpg.

My 2.5tdi does around 400 to the tank with the same mixture of driving from above.
    2004 A4 2.5tdi Avant quattro Sport Tip, BOSE, Elec Heated Leather Seats with Memory, Sunroof, Black Optic Pack (Black Grill, Window Frame and Roof Rails), Front & Rear Electric Windows, Front & Rear Parking Sensors, Lighting Pack, Xenon Lights with Washers, Come Home Lights, Electric Retracting Mirrors, Auto Dimming Rear View & Side Mirrors, Under Seat Storage & 6 CD Changer

Gone But Not Missed -

2003 A4 Saloon 1.9tdi Sport Multi, Leather/Alcantara Heated Seats, Lighting Pack & RS4 Alloys

1st Gear

Status
    My 2003 does around 450 to a tank (got lead boots on when driving home from work though lol). Just short 8 mile trips to work on town roads DIS reads 45-50mpg think i saw 56mpg on motorway last weekend on cruise control.

2nd Gear

Status
    My recent fule information....

Audi A4 TDi 130 Sport

1st Gear

Status
    oh dear lol

Neutral

Status
    seems mine is perhaps a bit behind what others are getting

where should i start looking into poor economy? MAF sensor or others maybe?

1st Gear

Status
    Ive got a 1.9 quattro and ive calculated it that im getting 43 mpg with mixed driving, just installed dis and its saying about the same.I suppose thats not too bad considering the extra weight im carrying around being a quattro

6th Gear

Status
    I get pretty much the same from me 2.5 tdi quattro on 18" alloys, tweaked engine and big brakes... On 16" the Mpg gets higher and thats from fill to fill not just what the DIS tells me !
    FOR SALE:
    -Golf mk 5/audi a3 1.6 FSI fuel pump, brand new genuine part boxed + seals
    -audi a3 (1998 to 2003) genuine clutch slave cylinder to fit 1.6 engines BRAND NEW
    -Rear bush press tool to fit new rear axle bushes on Golf Mk3/4, Audi a3/S3, Seat Leon/Toledo, Skoda Octavia mk 1/2 used once

1st Gear

Status
    According to the DIS I average 50MPG, I get about 650miles from full tank to DIS saying 0 Miles left in the tank. 1.9TDi 130 , I do a 40mile round trip to work each day.
    AUDI A4 Avant 1.9TDi Sport
    | RS4 RARB - RS6 18" - SLCR Spolier - HID's / Laminex / DRL's - Ext LED lighting - Ambient Lighting F+R - Dension300 / iPod Touch - Siemens Bluetooth - DIS - Cruise|

Neutral

Status
    I get 39mpg with a mixture of town and motorway and that's an exact figure between fill ups, mines a mapped 52 plate 1.9tdi 130 (now 170bhp)

Audi fanatic

Status
    1.9 avant
    Average 42 mixed
    and a hard run up the motorway last weekend saw 43mpg that was a little bit over the limit thou motorway normally sees 47 in and around
    this also with a map .
    people forget these cars are heavy and heavier than the B5 also
    Last edited by paul20v; 12th September 2010 at 01:10.

1st Gear

Status
    Does A remap (130 - 170) improve mpg at all?
    www.Everest4Heroes.com

**** PLEASE DONATE ****

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    It's supposed to, I got 530 miles to a tank, where before the remap I got 505, could be driving style though.

Audi fanatic

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    Not generally
    as if you have power you use it ,
    well at least i do anyway
    im still trying to make mine go like my modded B5 S4 haha thats a battle im going to lose miserably

1st Gear

Status
    Well Our 1.9 tdi 130 is showing 47mpg on the DIS with the misses doing most of the driving on A/B roads for around 35 miles each way to work & back. I used it once to drive up North & was stuck at 50-60mph in temp road works on the motorway & the DIS was showing 59.7mpg.

Just bought an Allroad 2.5tdi 180 & on the way home doing a 140 mile journey I only got max 35.7mpg & after giving it some, it's down to 33.6mpg so the 1.9tdi is definitely better on fuel.
    Last edited by reggieroo; 12th September 2010 at 20:49.

The're Graphite not black!!

Status
    Got a 130 quattro Sport Avant with 178k on the clock so definitely 'run in'. I get 36-38mpg around town and thats calculated pump to pump as i don't have DIS. The best i have seen is 42 from Bristol to Brighton, but that was mainly A road blasting. Never really done a long motorway blast.
    The quattro system does make a big difference. I know the earlier 110bhp engines were different and do a lot more MGP.

Not overly concerned though, 38 around town is good considering the size of the car.

6th Gear

Status
    i have the lower engine 110 bph ish and im getting about 44 mpg around town on a mix of town and small 20 miles runs its around 47 ish but on just a good run ie mways it happly brings in 55 plus my sat nav come in at 62 mpg on a run to gatwick and back at 65 to 70 mph round trip 180 miles looks like i can get 750 miles on one tank out of town ;-)

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by reggieroo View Post
    Well Our 1.9 tdi 130 is showing 47mpg on the DIS with the misses doing most of the driving on A/B roads for around 35 miles each way to work & back. I used it once to drive up North & was stuck at 50-60mph in temp road works on the motorway & the DIS was showing 56.7mpg.

Just bought an Allroad 2.5tdi 180 & on the way home doing a 140 mile journey I only got max 35.7mpg & after giving it some, it's down to 33.6mpg so the 1.9tdi is definitely better on fuel.
    Whats the difference in weight between the 2 cars and the transmission losses trough the 4 wheel drive system ? Me 2.5 tdi quattro avant (180Bhp) does 42Mpg on the motorway and 38Mpg in town. Drive an equal size petrol v6 lump and you'll be happy if you get the average consumption into double digits !
    FOR SALE:
    -audi a3 (1998 to 2003) genuine clutch slave cylinder to fit 1.6 engines BRAND NEW
    -Rear bush press tool to fit new rear axle bushes on Golf Mk3/4, Audi a3/S3, Seat Leon/Toledo, Skoda Octavia mk 1/2 used once

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by adamss24 View Post
    Whats the difference in weight between the 2 cars and the transmission losses trough the 4 wheel drive system ? Me 2.5 tdi quattro avant (180Bhp) does 42Mpg on the motorway and 38Mpg in town. Drive an equal size petrol v6 lump and you'll be happy if you get the average consumption into double digits !
    The Allroad shouldn't be any different to a 2.5 tdi 180 Quattro Avant for mpg, is your an A4 or A6?

When I picked it up, the DIS said 26.9mpg . I quickly reset it for the journey home. Today I have been out with the family & also took some friends for a test drive & now it's at 32mpg.

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by iyrix View Post
    My recent fule information....

What's that app called mate?
    For Sale
    B6 S Line Saloon rear bumper,B6 A4 Upper Grille,B6 1.9TDI catback exhaust,B6/B7 Full Piano black inlays,B6/B7 RNS E/GPS Sharkfin,B6/B7 Side airbags,B7 2.0TDI Intercooler and MAP sensor

DGT
    Reverse Gear

Status
    48 combined, the pd's arent the most economical but react very well to a good service, oil + filter, air filter + fuel filter, be thankful its not a 16valve 2.0tdi, what with the DPF and EGR fekkin up the economy youd be lucky to see mid 40's mpg, better off with a gasser

Neutral

Status
    mixture of figures here. Some people seem to be getting the same figures as me, whereas the people who are averaging 50mpg and getting 59mpg at 50mph, i dont know how they are doing it because i couldnt get anywhere near that figure even driving slow and not accelerating at all down hills etc.

There must be something giving my car poop economy and perhaps some other peoples here too.

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by reggieroo View Post
    The Allroad shouldn't be any different to a 2.5 tdi 180 Quattro Avant for mpg, is your an A4 or A6?

When I picked it up, the DIS said 26.9mpg . I quickly reset it for the journey home. Today I have been out with the family & also took some friends for a test drive & now it's at 32mpg.
    I have a b5 audi a4 avant quattro and a c5 audi a6 avant quattro... The a4 is 1570kg, the a6 is 1770kg so the curb weight does impact the mpg...
    FOR SALE:

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by clough103 View Post
    mixture of figures here. Some people seem to be getting the same figures as me, whereas the people who are averaging 50mpg and getting 59mpg at 50mph, i dont know how they are doing it because i couldnt get anywhere near that figure even driving slow and not accelerating at all down hills etc.

There must be something giving my car poop economy and perhaps some other peoples here too.
    Closed windows and Air con off all the time .
    :D
    AUDI A4 Avant 1.9TDi Sport
    | RS4 RARB - RS6 18" - SLCR Spolier - HID's / Laminex / DRL's - Ext LED lighting - Ambient Lighting F+R - Dension300 / iPod Touch - Siemens Bluetooth - DIS - Cruise|

Audi fanatic

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by clough103 View Post

People cant be working it out right fill to fill .

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc1 View Post
    What's that app called mate?
    Road Trip
    Think it was 99p
    Audi A4 TDi 130 Sport

Reverse Gear

Status
    well i live in Bradford, and i have been to manchester couple of times, i only put punds woth of diesel in and it gets me back home, so i get around 50 mpg and between 35 and 40mpg around town

1st Gear

Status
    I think the majority of the differences come from whether they are DIS readings or the calculated actual figures, aswell as the type of journeys you do. Also quattro/fwd will make a differerence as will what wheels you are running.

On my last tank the DIS read 51.20 MPG but that actual calculated figure was only 46.39 MPG. That's 672 miles on 65.85 lites of diesel, with DIS showing 35 miles left in the tank

On my run into work (30,40 & 60 mph roads for 10 miles) following the traffic and averaging 30-40mph I have managed to see the DIS peak at 60mpg but as soon as go up a big hill then down the dual carriageway (at 70) for another 8 miles I get to work and the DIS will read 50 to 52 MPG. I've only just activated DIS so have yet to see how accurate it is but i'm currently working on it over reading 5 MPG.

I am also dissapointed with the MPG on mine, over the last year its only averaged 45MPG and thats with taking it easy near enough all of the time. That is a calculated figure and not DIS, on a FWD avant with 18" wheels.

I've changed the thermostat, temp sensor, MAF, several tanks of injector cleaner etc and none have made a difference on MPG
    Last edited by Garfie; 15th September 2010 at 14:41.

Current Car:

A3 S-Line TDI 140bhp Sportback in Misano Red Pearl with Audi Open Sky System, Chrome Roof Rails, Full Leather, Front Armrest with Audi Phone Prep, MFSW, Cruise Control, Auto Wipers, Auto Lights, Auto Dim Mirror, Rear Parking Sensors, Bose Stereo, Privacy Glass, Ambient & Footwell Lighting and Puddle Lights.

Pic soon

Gone but not forgotten:

Audi A4 TDI Sport Avant in Denim Blue
    VW Golf Mk4 GTTDI
    Vauxhall Calibra 2.0 16V 150bhp Red Top
    Vauxhall NovaVAN 1.5TD

2nd Gear

Status
    Woud the wheel size make a differance?
    Audi A4 TDi 130 Sport

1st Gear

Status
    Yes in a couple of ways.

One is wheel weight, my aftermarket 18's weigh more than my stock 15" wheels, more weight to turn = worse mpg

The other is overall diameter. My 18's with 235/40/18 tyres have a very slightly larger circumference than the stock 15's. This means the car travels very slightly further per wheel revolution and results in the speedo registering slightly less distance travelled than it actually has. You're not talking a lot but they make the speedo read about 2mph less at 70mph (which actually makes it more accurate when compared to GPS). 2mph over a tank at around 15hrs a tank? = 30 miles less than you have actually travelled on that tank. Add 30 miles to your actual mpg calcs and you add 2MPG to a tank.

So with my calculated mpg at an average of 45mpg, that would bring it up to 47mpg, plus if I had the standard lighter wheels on I may gain another 2mpg bringing my 'standard car' mpg up to 49

Hope that makes sense

Current Car:

A3 S-Line TDI 140bhp Sportback in Misano Red Pearl with Audi Open Sky System, Chrome Roof Rails, Full Leather, Front Armrest with Audi Phone Prep, MFSW, Cruise Control, Auto Wipers, Auto Lights, Auto Dim Mirror, Rear Parking Sensors, Bose Stereo, Privacy Glass, Ambient & Footwell Lighting and Puddle Lights.

Pic soon

Gone but not forgotten:

VW Golf Mk4 GTTDI
    Vauxhall NovaVAN 1.5TD

6th Gear

Status
    some one was first in line for brains mate ;-)

1st Gear

Status
    Lol. Can you tell ive been racking my brains trying to work out why I can't get 50mpg? Changed all the obvious engine parts, drive like a grandad and now am coming up with excuses to blame it ony modifications. Lol.

Current Car:

Pic soon

Gone but not forgotten:

VW Golf Mk4 GTTDI
    Vauxhall NovaVAN 1.5TD

2nd Gear

Status
    I've been looking into the change with 19". Does not seem too much difference...

Audi A4 TDi 130 Sport

6th Gear

Status
    where did you find this iyrix as iv gone from 16 205 55 to 17 235 45s Garfie i see you have put it all down to the car mateif like me did you put more weight on lol that has to count for some thing right

Quote Originally Posted by iyrix View Post
    I've been looking into the change with 19". Does not seem too much difference...

Last edited by simon.m; 16th September 2010 at 10:27.

2nd Gear

Status
    Here you got mate.
    Cheers
    G.
    Audi A4 TDi 130 Sport

6th Gear

Status
    thanks mate it says at 60 mph with old wheels im doing 58 with new ones
    Last edited by simon.m; 16th September 2010 at 14:40.

2nd Gear

Status
    putting less miles on the car! :-)
    Audi A4 TDi 130 Sport

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast