1.9 TDI 130 Economy

Try this. The difference in rolling resistance between identical tyre sizes can be upto 6% so 2- 3 mpg and if the pressure is low as well then I guess 5 mpg is possible and if the width is increased then even more.

oh joy lol so what we are all finding out is when the cars are standered they do say 55mpg but as not one of us on here have a standered car we need to suck it up at say 40mpg plus lol

well my last tank of £60 of fuel at 115.9 gave me 420 miles, and that was with over half of it tickled on the motorway. i work that out to be aprox 10 gallons thus 42mpg, which is lower than what i expect it to do. My DIS readings (what people here say are higher than actual calculations) are still low, i struggle to get it at 50mpg, i really have to coast down every hill etc.

also my car is completely standard, normal wheels no extra weight etc.

Last edited:
get around 650 - 680 miles on a tank, get over 50 mpg on the motorway

thats quite a lot.. i don't get any where near that.
about 500 here, but can see 550 sometimes.. don't really drive like a saint though..

i get around 47 to 52 with Tesco diesel. From this week im going to try shell after readig a couple of other threads.

In my Golf (110 Non PD) I used to get 30 miles more per tank using Shell diesel compared to Tesco, and that was before Shell brought out this new 'fuel saver' diesel.

Around my way the local Shell matches the price of Asda anyway, and both of those are generally 1-2p/litre cheaper than Tesco.

My thinking was that even if I filled up at a Shell that was 1p/litre more than Tesco, that would cost me an extra 50p to fill the Golf right up. 50p more to gain an extra 30 miles was well worth it!!

I've always found Shell diesel makes the engine run smoother with less smoke too.

If you havent already sign up for www.petrolprices.com to check out the variance in fuel prices in your area. You can have them email you every day with the best prices too.

Still ****** off with my car to be honest. I Know that the car is not doing the MPG that it should be dispite whatever fuel i decide to put in and however much allowance i give the DIS for being wrong. I dont always drive like a saint however I have owned several diesels and travelled the same routes and the have all done considerably better on fuel that this A4. The previous car i owned was a 2.5TDI which is notoriously thirsty for a diesel, and prior to that i haad a BMW 330d and aroundtown i would say both of these bigger 6cyl diesels did better. The 1.9 does a bit better on the motorway than the 6cyls but i find it hard to break 50mpg even drivig it purposely slow and careful and this engine should be more than capable of that.

Surely someone here can point me towards things to look towards that might cause the economy to be so poor.

Interesting feedback from everyone and it's made me wonder!

I'm surprised that some actually get a return of 650+ miles on a tank; I used to get anything from 500 - 580 but that has now gone down to 450!

My journey's are still the same, nothing has changed on the car so it's strange my return is lower!

I do a round trip of about 38 miles (from Bradford to Harrogate) where there is town driving and then some b-roads!

I've always thought that 600 on a full tank was easily doable - anything I can do the check if something is wrong?

Cheers

well my last tank of £60 of fuel at 115.9 gave me 420 miles, and that was with over half of it tickled on the motorway. i work that out to be aprox 10 gallons thus 42mpg, which is lower than what i expect it to do. My DIS readings (what people here say are higher than actual calculations) are still low, i struggle to get it at 50mpg, i really have to coast down every hill etc.

also my car is completely standard, normal wheels no extra weight etc.

Well thats not right is it!!!!
£60 @ £1.159 /L =51.77L =11.39 Uk Gallons. 420 Miles/11.39 = 36.88 Mpg so nowhere near 42 MPG.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but DIS Lies, Maths doesn't.

i said aprox working in my head. And my point exactly. When some claim they can get towards 60mpg and i can barely get my DIS to say 50mpg surely something is wrong.

If i disconnect the MAF sensor will the car run default values? just something i thought of trying

Clough, i see what your trying to say and if it was a rough calculation then i appologise. It does annoy me when people quote their figures with no basis as it confuses people. DIS is often wrong as you say. Whats more frustrating is when people start with the "i get 300 miles from £30" - brilliant do you, thats no use to man nor beast!!!
That idea works in petrol engines but not diesel ones. If you disconnect the MAF, the car will run in limp mode with no power at all, behaves like a non turbo diesel.

My partner has one of these A6 2004 130hp sport model, does it have an option to see what mpg she is getting, I drive a 3.2 TT so was curious with her diesel lump what kind of economy it gives driving where we live in London, had a fiddle and couldn't find it but maybe I'm not pressig the right buttons to bring up mpg indicator?!

If she has it, it'll be on the right hand stalk (the same stalk as the wipers). If she does, there'll be a few extra buttons, but the main button is the one on the end which you can flick up and down to cycle through time taken, current mpg, average mpg, distance to empty etc. If she doesn't have the functionality then look into getting DIS (driver information system) to the car if you want to.

Also, if she doesn't have it, the centre screen between the dials will just show the distance to empty reading.

Oh crap, thanks for that, I looked for that thing at the side like on my TT but it doesn't have it. What is driver information system, how would I install that?

It's potentially a new steering control module (a horseshoe shape like thingy that goes behind the steering wheel) and a new wiper stalk that has the buttons on the end.

There's loads more info here...http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a4-a4-cabriolet-s4-forum-b6-chassis/115597-diy-guides-faq-b6-wiki.html

and this guide works well for retrofitting cruise control and DIS (often people do both at the same time, but you can just do one of them)

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6P...LWFiNDUtMTg4YzEyZDc1NjEz/edit?pli=1&hl=en_GB#

Clough, i see what your trying to say and if it was a rough calculation then i appologise. It does annoy me when people quote their figures with no basis as it confuses people. DIS is often wrong as you say. Whats more frustrating is when people start with the "i get 300 miles from �30" - brilliant do you, thats no use to man nor beast!!!
That idea works in petrol engines but not diesel ones. If you disconnect the MAF, the car will run in limp mode with no power at all, behaves like a non turbo diesel.

Yeah, people saying "I get x miles to a tank" or 'I get x moot on a run"or even any kind of dis figures will neverbe that accurate.

Fill the tank, reset the mileage, then next fillup record mileage and litres pumped and that's the best way to tell. Then you can start worrying about economy.