Badger5EM Tuning
    2nd Gear

Status

Washer Reservoir

Topped up my windscreen washer fluid yesterday only to see most of it on the drive. At this point i was thinking here we go its gonna be expensive. I removed the right hand engine bay cover in order to get a decent look at the reservoir tank and I could see the fluid level sitting about a quarter full. It was a couple of inches above the pipe which is located on the underside of the tank.

If i tried to put anymore fluid in above this level it would act like an overflow and leak and i could see fluid appearing much lower down in the engine bay. When I say leaking it was more than just dripping. I can't see where exactly it is coming from and there is no seam or join or other pipe that i can see anywhere on the reservoir tank. Why would the level sit happily above the pipe.

If anyone has any information or an exploded drawing of the washer fluid reservoir, its mountings and pipework i would be very grateful.

I could only see and get access to two fixings on the tank itself.

Many Thanks,

Ryan
    Last edited by rjm180; 10th September 2010 at 16:08.
    B6 S4 4.2L V8 Cabriolet Black Manual Quad Milltek Non Res

2. # ADS
    ADS

shifting to Hyperspace... .

Status
    Link >>here<< on Washer Bottle ref. Headlight Washer modifications.

Cross linked the exploded picture of parts here
    2001 A4 Saloon 3.0 Quattro Sport Tiptronic - Platinum Leather/Heated Front Seats/BOSE/DIS/Cruise Control
    Retrofits:GmBH Bumpers, F&R Ambient LEDS, OEM Valeo Xenons (D2S) & Headlight Washers, Auto-dipping RVM, Footwell Lights, Vent Control illumination, ISO-Fix, RNS-E & OEM Bluetooth + VIMhack + Video i-pod & Aux inputs, Rear PDC, Powerflow 100mm Tips, Reversing Camera
    2012 A4 Saloon 2.0 TDIe Technik (163ps)
    Diagnostics:VCDS HEX+USB+CAN Cable

2nd Gear

Status
    Thanks Woorlord that looks like just what I need. Will attempt to tackle when off work next. Has anyone had much joy removing the top tank from above and any ideas where the fluid could be leaking from.

Many Thanks

Status
    The top tank is easy to remove from the engine compartment just remove bolt #6 - the top tank connects with the bottom tank with a rubber seal (item #7) which mine had perished - easy enough to fix with a new one.
    For best access to the washer bottle - Take out the n/s headlight out and for additional access Take the n/s front wheel off, then remove the plastic wheel arch liner may give you a better view.
    You could have duff seals at the level sensor (item #11) or pump rubber grommets (next to seal #9).
    If you have Xenons (headlight washers), item #9 seal for the headlight washer pump could be duff.

A visual inspection with the n/s headlight out is your best bet.
    2001 A4 Saloon 3.0 Quattro Sport Tiptronic - Platinum Leather/Heated Front Seats/BOSE/DIS/Cruise Control
    Retrofits:GmBH Bumpers, F&R Ambient LEDS, OEM Valeo Xenons (D2S) & Headlight Washers, Auto-dipping RVM, Footwell Lights, Vent Control illumination, ISO-Fix, RNS-E & OEM Bluetooth + VIMhack + Video i-pod & Aux inputs, Rear PDC, Powerflow 100mm Tips, Reversing Camera

2nd Gear

Status
    Woorlord, just got back from being away and have just seen your post.

Many Thanks mate, very helpful.

Ryan

2nd Gear

Status
    Woorlord,

So, am i right to assume you can remove the top tank from the bottom tank, replace the rubber seal (item #7) with a new one and re-fit top tank to the bottom tank all from above without removing headlight, wheel, arch-lining etc.

Thanks,

Ryan

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by rjm180 View Post
    Woorlord,

So, am i right to assume you can remove the top tank from the bottom tank, replace the rubber seal (item #7) with a new one and re-fit top tank to the bottom tank all from above without removing headlight, wheel, arch-lining etc.

Thanks,

Ryan
    Yes

2nd Gear

Status
    Ok, great

Thanks for your time and help,

Ryan

2nd Gear

Status
    Ok, I have finally got round to fixing this.

I bought a new washer, item 7 ( 32p From Audi) removed the top tank and then noticed through a small aperture in the bodywork part of the bottom tank and a rubber grommet type seal with a hole in it. I also have a type of vent pipe on my top tank which isn't shown in the diagram which should go from the top side of the top tank to this new hole that I could now see in the bottom tank. It wasn't until the top tank was removed that I could see that this vent pipe wasn't connected at the bottom.The pipe had somehow come adrift so I re-fitted it, replaced the washer item 7, replaced the top tank and refilled the sytem. Checked for leaks and system was holding its fluid so I was very pleased, happy days.

Many Thanks to Woorlord,

Cheers

Ryan

Status

My Social Networking

Follow quattrojames On Twitter Add quattrojames on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by rjm180 View Post
    Many Thanks to Woorlord,
    Top bloke
    Ingolstance Read about my A6 HERE.