A4 2.5 TDI engine code AKE camshaft replacement help please

doc2000ad

Reaction score
Hi All, i have a 2.5 TDI camshaft replacement job and maybe for the first time in almost 25 years of work i feel stumped with a job. i have in my possesion all new cams, lifters, rockers, timing belt and lots of other bits i am replacing but just cannot get any info regarding setting the cams especially for the left bank in the engine, all parts acquired from dealers but funnily enough there are no audi logos or stamps on any of the cams, lifters or rockers. very strange!!!

anyway please help with install of the cams, guides with pictures would be much appreciated, although i have worked on audis many a time before this is genuinely a ****** of a job. i also have the crank locking pin, as well as the cam locking plates.

Have you got a friends with a copy of Elsawin? I think people sell it on Ebay, it's the electronic manual for all VAG cars about 6 dvd's worth. Just had a quick look on Autodata and theres a 9 special tools for the cam-belt job alone.

Last edited:
Thank you BILKO1, i have purchased one of them from ebay but as yet havent received it, just need to get on with the job and dont know when my copy arrives. as i lie in wait i would still appreciate some guidance and info if anyone reading this post has the info......

Not sure if this is any help. I don't know how to make it bigger:(
AKE.jpg

Last edited:
nice one buddy, i have that one, it was actually the camshafts i needed to place before i got to the belt stage, however i read on one of the posts from a member called Adamss24 i think, and he states that all the cutouts in the cam were directly proportionate to the head bolts, i then remembered i had made a note of that but wasnt sure it applied to both heads. So i think i have it pretty sussed but i'll get back to work on it asap, will make sure i post the final result after finishing the job, hopefully no more hiccups....

Where abouts are you based mate ? I could lend-you a hand/fit them for you - if not too far from N. London... Not a job for the faint hearted and very easy to mess-up as well(very little clearance between the valves and pistons). Did your cams have cast marks on them ? They should have rs4 followed by oooo then a 059 casted into the main long cams. The lifters should have a "I" stamped on the back of them(flat side) and the cam rockers should have an alpha followed by a nr cast on the underside. If they have then they are ganuine. As maybe you know, lifters and rocker arms are made by Febi or INA- audi just put them in a nice, expensive box ! Give us a ring on 077 899 12128 as i am outside rebuilding an engine as we speak !

i have the timing kit for these and can give you a hand. im in sheffield. where abouts are you?

Thanks Murran, actually had the kit as well, just a memory lapse as i didnt remember i had taken cams off the same on both heads, done it, all belted up, hopefully start it on monday......based in blackburn anyway, available to take on any jobs around here if there is ever any need, with the help and advice on here a lot can be achived, thank you everyone, really appreciate you just taking the time to read and respond, will hopefully stick around for a while..............