Strange.cracking/crunching noise when turning when weather is wet

s4matt

Reaction score
Hi, I have a strange problem with my S4 cab that only appears when the weather is wet/damp. When turning hard lock to the right I get a cracking noise coming from the NSF wheel. The problem does not occur when it is dry. Audi have had it in on numerous ocassions and have failed to rectify the problem, I've had the suspension arms replaced and also the bushes. My feelings are that something is swelling due to the moisture and causing the noise. Has anyone else experienced these symptoms or have any thoughts on what it could be?? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Think I've had this happen to me before. Never heard it again though?...

cv joint on its way out? has the cv boot been split for a length of time at any point?

Mine done it again yesterday when reversing out of drive on full lock and then as I was pulling away turning the opposite way?

Seemed to make the noise more as I put my foot down further on accelerator pedal?...

CV gator looks fine to me and it has been into Audi several times and they have not found anything, it just seems weird that it only happens when the weather is wet. If it was the CV joint would you not expect it to do the same no matter what the weather?.

It's raining again, guess what, the noise is back!!!! Anyone else experiencing it??

strange, mine sometimes does this, but i put it down to tyres, i know it sounds a strange thing to say.. but again it only happens when wet!
does your make the sound on most surfaces? ie tarmac grass etc, on the positive though if it only makes the noise when wet and its been checked over by audi, there cant be nothing serious wrong can there.

just a shame we live in england the as its always raining lol so the sound will always be there ;-)

it would be worth getting someone to turn the steering while you crouch down by the arch and try to identify where it's coming from. also if you get it up on ramps, or at least get the front up on axle stands, you could turn the steering and see if the noise is still there. Might identify if it's tyre noise or only happens when there's load on the wheel. Good luck. I know how these things can drive you crazy.

I take it it's just not the quattro system scrubbing the front tyres? Mine does it quite badly when you drive into smooth dry car park with wet tyres.

Thanks for the replies. As far as the noise goes it makes it on all surfaces as long as the weather is damp/wet. I think Audi said that they could not replicate the noise when the car is on the ramps so it would appear that the wheel needs to be loaded. I have experienced the noise with two different sets of tyres (Goodyear & Michelins) so it does not appear to be this. Pretty sure it's not the tyres scrubbing as it only does it in one direction and the scrubbing is more of a juddering - my Subaru used to do this quite often.