Removable tow bar S line kit

Shane-Ireland

Reaction score
Hi anyone here fitted a tow bar (preferably detachable) to an A4 with s line kit,i have an Avant and im looking to fit a detachable tow bar but A.Don't want any cutting of my rear bumper and B. want something that is nice and tidy looking when the ball joint is removed.

I've priced the OEM one at Audi but it is stupid money so am looking around at after market options such as thule,bosal etc.

Anyone any first hand experience? pictures would be great.

If you were in Australia, I'd highly recommend the Hayman Reese brand - fits behind my S4 style rear bumper on my sedan (saloon) and is nearly invisible when the tongue in removed! Only about $300 too... Not sure if it'll meet Irish specs, or how much for freight for that matter!

Alright Marty thanks for the info any pics? i can do some digging on the availability,one more for the list at least

the best one to go for is a westfalia one, this is who make the genuine bar for audi

regardless of what towbar you get you will need to cut the lower part of the bumper

ive now got a towsure detachable (cheapest option)

pic:

20082010078.jpg

Alright cheers for that,i wouldnt be crazy about that one as everything is still on show no point in removing the ball joint at all really,i was looking for one where everything is hidden under or behind the bumper.

something like this...

I_977_05_I_961_77_I_596_57_AK-6.jpg

only down side to something like that one, is that you have to cut more out for the socket to swing out of sight, also, if your going for twin electrics (for caravans made more than a year or so ago) then they wont beable to swing into the bumper, youll then need a 13 pin plug and need to use an adapter lead.

What about the Votex rear bumper lower valance? Are there any removable towbars that will be hidden underneath this without the need of cutting the bumper?

I've got a PCT bar on my avant which i can't get off.Had to drill the lock out of the black plastic wheel but it will still not turn - any ideas?

we dont fit pct bars, but if you look just behind the bumper, the housing might bolt on, i know that the witter and towsure ones do

as for the vortex bumper, ive never fitted a bar onto an A4 with the vortex bumper, if you can take pics of it where it meets the spare wheel well then ill be able to tell better, is it the same height as the standard s-line bumpers?

i'm looking for a detachable one for my avant, westfalia seems to be the best (single electrics swings up behind the bumper so is hidden), can get one for about 150-180 on ebay. been told i need a specific loom fitted costing over 200 quid though?

I have a Thule one fitted to mine that ill be removing on the weekend. Not looked to much at it but looks like it unbolts easily

i'm looking for a detachable one for my avant, westfalia seems to be the best (single electrics swings up behind the bumper so is hidden), can get one for about 150-180 on ebay. been told i need a specific loom fitted costing over 200 quid though?

nah you get fit a 'smart' relay these cost around £15-£20, this will stop warning lights coming on, on the dash

I have a Thule one fitted to mine that ill be removing on the weekend. Not looked to much at it but looks like it unbolts easily

to remove the full towbar its a bumper off job, then you will need to fit the bumper beam and arms that go behind the bumper and into the chassie