Could be time for a change

jdp1962

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
After ten years of A4 ownership (two B5s and one B6), I might be moving on.

Test driving this later later today.

I'm already pretty sure I want it. If Mrs Grumpy Old Man agrees, and we can negotiate a good deal, then I guess I'll be saying goodbye and moving to the C6 forum.

Glad to see you're not going far! Looks like a nice car indeed. I reckon that in a few years i'll end up with an A6 too, but not just yet.

Good luck with it :)

i love the new A6 estates, in a few years time when they come down a bit i will probably be joining you lol

ill be going that way next car me thinks ;-)

Nice. I do like the A6's.

Would love a a6 3.0tdi Avant!!

Certainly are nice looking cars, I see you're sticking with the 2.4 Multitronic.

How did the test drive go?

It was very nice indeed. Aside from the extra space in all directions, there is definitely a sense of a higher level of sophistication about the A6 over the A4. Despite the size of the car, it has a more agile feel to it - front-end turn-in especially is much better - so that you are never really that conscious of the bulk. I feared the 2.4V6 might be a bit overwhelmed, but because much of the A6 bodywork is aluminium, the extra weight difference is not that great. It's no fireball, sure, and the engine does have to work hard, but it really is so smooth and refined, I'll take it any time over a 2.0TDI. The 7-speed multitronic is a noticeable improvement too, plus it had paddle-shifts.

All of that said, we're not sure we are going to buy it just yet. We're going to wait a month, because we have some funds heading our way in October to reduce the mortgage, and we'll have a better idea of how much we can afford to spend. We might still end up buying this car if it's still for sale then, or maybe a different one depending on what is available at that time, but what this has told us is that our next car will definitely be an A6.

You're so right about the size, the A6 is cavernous inside. I've just been to visit some family, and with dog, pushchair, and overnight bags for the two of us and my daughter the car was pretty rammed! My sister turned up in her A6 Avant with the same kind of stuff (but 2 kids!) and the dog was stretched out in luxury!