Oil around spark plugs

X30

Reaction score
Hi I seem to have a lot of oil around each of the coils/ spark plugs...1.8T engine. The oil level seems to OK (half way on the dipstick and no oil lights on). Is this normal?

Thanks

The DS has marker level's on the end, which mark is shown after you remove it from the dip tube.

The oil is halfway between the markers on the dipstick. The car seems to run fine, but seems to leaking some oil.

you probably have a leaky rocker cover gasket, about £25 from audi, the oil is leaking above the spark plug near the top and runs down.

The gasket gets brittle and leaky through age due to the hot oil contacting with it

Prob take about an hour to do yourself

thats what the problem was with mine an easy fix
but use some sealer on the corners and on the rear of the engine near the half moon bit !

I had this problem too, and some was dripping onto the turbo heatshield too!

I got my gasket set from GSF, exactly the same part as from Audi but only £15, and they had it in stock. The Audi logo had been removed, but the part number was identical.

I've read two guides on replacing the gasket, one said to use sealant and the other said not to...

I didn't use any on mine, and it seems to be fine, no more oil drips or spark plug recesses full of oil, but in hindsight I wish I had used sealant! It's an easy enough job though, so will replace it again if it starts leaking.

Can anyone point me in the direction of the rocker cover gasket guide.

Thanks...