Variable vane turbo's

Alan H

Need a V8 or Bi-Turbo.......
Reaction score
Being new to the VAG scene, I'm still trying to work out what goes where etc.....

I've got a B6 1.8T (163) on an 02 plate. Would this have a variable vane turbo or a diverter / dump valve?

I'm looking at different posts and getting really confused and worrying that my car is going to go up in smoke.....lol

By the way, this isn't the only question I'm going to ask :unsure:

Not sure on the VVT question
but wastegates and dump valves are different items that do different things
why do you think your cars going up in smoke ?

Not sure on the VVT question
but wastegates and dump valves are different items that do different things
why do you think your cars going up in smoke ?

Sorry, I'm just lumping dump valve /diverter valve under the same umbrella... I just did that because if the car has the variable vane turbo I am under the impression that it won't have a DV.

I understand that all cars have their problems etc, but if things go wrong on these Audi's it seems to be expensive...lol

and I keep reading about turbo rebuilds, injector pump re-builds at £600 etc etc.....

I'm losing sleep keep worrying....... :p

TBH the vanes issue is usually a derv problem due to so much soot, I hear it all the time with derv's but not with petrol, so I dont think you have anything to worry about mate.

TBH the vanes issue is usually a derv problem due to so much soot, I hear it all the time with derv's but not with petrol, so I dont think you have anything to worry about mate.

Thanks for the reassurance. It's my first Audi/VAG car so I'm still trying to work out the nuances of this engine etc.

I've only just got the car and I'm still getting used to it. It always takes me a while to settle when I get a new (well new to me) car.