RNSE question.....

cfoster

Reaction score
Only recently bought my S4 Avant (B6) and first time i've had a chance to play with the stereo. Its the RNSE one with the satnav. I have the 2008 disc but the player isnt reading the UK disc? The previous owner said I needed a new disc? It reads the Western Europe disc ok and plays CD's ok?! Is he right? Also how do I enable the phone thing and TV thing on it? Do I need to buy a module or is it just a case of 'plugging it in and enabling at Audi?'.

Any help would be great.

Chris​

tv and phone have there own seperate modules, theres lots of places that fit them and as for your disc, it depends if it's knackered or the wrong one

What year is the Western Europe disc? if its a 2009 or 2010 then the unit may not read an older disc, I am not completely sure about this but seem to remember reading it somewhere, something to do with a firmware update. Also doesnt the Western Europe disc cover the UK?

ok cool cheers, i'll check what discs i have. he did say it was working for 3 months then suddenly stopped on him and he was advised to buy a newer disc so will scour ebay for a new one!

Apparantly all the prep for the phone is there in the car already, just needs enabling? How can I check this myself? What do the 'modules' look like? Pretty handy with screwdrivers / spanners so dont mind pulling things apart to check!

cheers
Chris

ok cool cheers, i'll check what discs i have. he did say it was working for 3 months then suddenly stopped on him and he was advised to buy a newer disc so will scour ebay for a new one!

Apparantly all the prep for the phone is there in the car already, just needs enabling? How can I check this myself? What do the 'modules' look like? Pretty handy with screwdrivers / spanners so dont mind pulling things apart to check!
A fellow forum member may be able to help with the scanning/coding - Where are you based?

cheers
Chris

If the DVD is a copy and not original DVD then they are known to fail.
It harder for the DVD laser to read copies as opposed to an original printed DVD disk.
If you have an original older disk then this should still read the map info regardless of the software level.
The laser reader has two lasers - one for reading CD's the other for DVD's - even if a CD is readable it does not mean the DVD laser is working 100%.
You can replace the laser in the RNS-E if it's stopped working.

SImply scan your car with VAG-COM/VCDS and see if the phone module is present - Module #77.
This will also tell you the version number - no spanners or screwdrivers needed for that!!
VAG-COM/VCDS is also used to recode and enable the RNS-E & Bluetooth phone module.

excellent thanks for that, very useful :)

is the VAG-COM a piece of software / cable that plugs in? I have a Beetle V5 Cali as aswell which I have a small cable with screen that tells me fault codes. I take it I need something different? Worth buying?

.....is the VAG-COM a piece of software / cable that plugs in? I have a Beetle V5 Cali as aswell which I have a small cable with screen that tells me fault codes. I take it I need something different? Worth buying?

Start here.... >>Link to Ross-Tech<<
Best purchase you can make for your Audi - pays for itself very quickly.

cheers :). Been looking on ebay and the cables are available, just not for our model? (S4)?

2010 dvd is the AN version & chances are if both have not worked then the laser has gone.

The ebay leads are crap, if you intend on buying genuine then give me a shout as I sell these, as Woorlord has advised best purchase you will ever make for your car.

As for phone prep, when you 1st start your car or ignition, do a search on your phone with BT for other devices, look for Audi & try pairing it with the code 1234 or 1111, if it pairs then enable connection authorised all the time & then it will connect auto everytime you use the car.

brilliant thanks for the advice, could oyu message me your prices please :)

Just been out to the car to check the bluetooth thing (anything to escape the missus watching big brother!!). I dont think I have the module? This is what comes up on the display, plus my iPhone pics up nothing...

Picture001-2.jpg

Picture002-1.jpg

Would I need this to get the phone working?: Audi rns-e bluetooth cable new A3 A4 A6 module interfac on eBay (end time 03-Sep-10 12:32:00 BST)

Chris

brilliant thanks for the advice, could oyu message me your prices please :)

Just been out to the car to check the bluetooth thing (anything to escape the missus watching big brother!!). I dont think I have the module? This is what comes up on the display, plus my iPhone pics up nothing...

Picture001-2.jpg

Picture002-1.jpg

Would I need this to get the phone working?: Audi rns-e bluetooth cable new A3 A4 A6 module interfac on eBay (end time 03-Sep-10 12:32:00 BST)

Chris

You have a PM mate.

Vagcom will show you if you have it anyway mate, but it can be retrofitted which I have mentioned in the PM also.

No that cable is a small part of the kit, you need a module, antenna & mic then installation, plus coding to the car, also in the PM.

Let me know if I can be of any further help for your requirements.

You have the latest firmware for that rns-e unit as the last version was 0650, 08/09/10 dvd's should work fine in that, sounds like laser then or the drive itself, which I can get sorted for you.

Last edited:
The version of the Audi Nav CD I Have is: Version 2009 - 8P0 919 884 AD, would this one be a newer version? Audi Navigation MMI(2G) High 2010 | NavigationDisk.eu
Help!!

"8P0 919 884 AD" is an RNS-E Version, Year 2009 - if it's an original disk it should work.
Try a cleaning CD, or actually clean the laser pick-up - I have read this has sorted some read problems.
Worst case it's anew DVD drive.

thanks :). I've just ordered a disc cleaner from fleabay so will see if that makes a difference first.