Would a remap affect my car starting?

steeleez

Reaction score
Hi

I bought a 52 plate audi a4 1.9tdi in June of this year and had it remapped in July, the car used to fire straight away but lately it's taking approx 5 or 6 turns (of the engine, not the key) before it fires, this didn't happen straight after the remap though, is it likely to be the remap that's caused this and is this a cause for concern?

Cheers

Gary

Hi

I bought a 52 plate audi a4 1.9tdi in June of this year and had it remapped in July, the car used to fire straight away but lately it's taking approx 5 or 6 turns (of the engine, not the key) before it fires, this didn't happen straight after the remap though, is it likely to be the remap that's caused this and is this a cause for concern?

Cheers

Gary

Hi there, have you thought about trying new glow plugs

jay

Hi there, have you thought about trying new glow plugs

jay

No not yet, the cars got a 1 year audi warranty with it, so I'm trying to make sure it's not the map before I take it to the dealer.

Gary

I see no reason for it to be the map tbh - glowplugs or coolant temp sensor are the most likely possibles.

try replacing the battery. i had similar problems with mine when starting and when i replaced the battery it started first time.

Mines mapped and starts first time. Its not the map

i dought the map is the fault but beware if you take it to audi they may well delete it and return it to standard

surly if audi did that they woukld have to pay for it to be done again as they cant change any thing with out asking first

I spoke to the lad who remapped the car today and he said it wont be the remap that's causing the problem and assured me the dealer wont check or notice that the car's been remapped, so it's booked in to get checked out early September.

Cheers for the replies

Gary

WTF, mine starts straight away with the side lights on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

well let me know what audi say if they fix it tell me what the problem is lol :)

I had the car into Audi today who said the starting issue is down to a faulty headlight switch, a new one has been ordered so I'll update as soon as it's fitted.

A faulty headlight switch causing starting problems, now i really have heard it all!!

seems odd!! hope it does the trick

i must admit i'm a bit sceptical, but it's back in tomorrow for the repair, so watch this space!

well i got up this morning and pulled my light switch out and disconected it!!

stuck key in and first turn it fired!! turned it off reconected and took a few turns again!

now its light and i have a lot of running about to do today im going to leave it disconected to see if it starts first time with it off!

how much was your light switch if you dont mind me asking?

im thinking audi are on a fiddle if the light switch can make starting problems ;-)

well i got up this morning and pulled my light switch out and disconected it!!

stuck key in and first turn it fired!! turned it off reconected and took a few turns again!

now its light and i have a lot of running about to do today im going to leave it disconected to see if it starts first time with it off!

how much was your light switch if you dont mind me asking?

Well went in today and the switch never turned up so it's back in on Friday, as for the cost I don't know mate it's a warranty item.

ah right looks like i will be ringing audi for a price then! not looking forward to that lol

i removed my light switch yesterday and throughout the day it started first time everytime as soon as i put the light switch back it was back to turning over for a few seconds!!

steeleez when they have done yours can you ask how the light switch is making this problem im sure there are a few on here that would like to know

steeleez when they have done yours can you ask how the light switch is making this problem im sure there are a few on here that would like to know

Yeah no problem, I'll also ask for the cost of the switch for stu.

wtf light switch affecting starting, thats completely new to me too, have to consult the oracle wiring, did you try starting with switch in various positions?

it is mad isnt it NHN audi are stiffing us if they are linking the lights with the starting lol

Stiffing is one word, I'd use another tbh.

wtf light switch affecting starting, thats completely new to me too, have to consult the oracle wiring, did you try starting with switch in various positions?

i have tried with the switch in every position possible and it starts first time in any position except off!! also starts first time with switch removed too!!

WTFFFFFF lol, thats certainly a new one to me, very strange.

Well new switch fitted and all is well, the technician said he's come across the problem before and the switch causes a short circuit in the off position. The switch from the dealer is £117.78 or free if you have a warranty :sm4:

Aha, or fiver on ebay, job done. lol

i have been looking but no joy!! missed one the other day at £25!