Arm Rest Storage

GrayT

Reaction score
I know this is ever so slightly anal, but...

I do like a clutter free interior and found the arm rest storage has limited use by virtue of the fact they move up and down which isn't great for loose items. Here's how I've used mine:

It's handy having a road atlas inside the car but they either tend to sit on the floor or flop over the door pockets. I found the Collins fold-out page road atlas (available from amazon etc) to be a perfect fit for the rear arm rest. I can still reach it from the drivers seat too:

RearArmRest.jpg

For the front I've kept safety in mind and found the small halfords first aid kit (I supplemented it with a resusc guard) fits right in and a life hammer fits perfectly on the lid if you use short fixing screws. I think it's a great place for it because often they are fitted down in the footwell but what if you are the one pinned in by a stuck seatbelt? This way the seatbelt cutter can be reached from where you sit and it has the advantage of not being permenantly on show:

FrontArmRest.jpg

I did tell you it was a bit anal! :blink: But thought I would share the idea :)

But that would ruin my idea lol! Actually i used to use it now and again but it's rare. I like a proper map for route planning (and filling storage compartments!).

Neat job with the lifehammer!

I'm quite behind the times in that I don't own a sat nav - give me a proper map so I can see where I'm going anyday.

also, whilst sort of on subject, if any one one here uses the newer version of tomtom sat nav, i use the coin holder to stand the sat nav in with the holder sat in the tray, saves having wires coming across the dash, plus save having things stuck on the window aswell

The black Audi folder (the one with user manuals, service record book etc) also fits perfectly in the rear armrest. And one of those credit card led torches fits perfectly in the coin tray.

Although neater (more anal?) than the credit card torch I once saw a fag lighter that was actually a rechargeable torch. Think it was standard equipment in a Toureg.

I like the lifehammer btw...

is that the bit under the stearing wheel james also i have a garmin sat nav and for all of you with out one you can still look over your route like the old type papper maps but you have some thing much much smaller and some thing that will get you there with 90% less stress

Yes thats the one.

And I always seem to know where I'm going anyway! It's only ever in town that I feel they're of benefit personally.

this is true james on the main side of the trip im ok but like you say its when you get there is when we need help and thats why the sat nav is really good as you keep your eyes on the road and it takes the worry out of it when the town your in is really busy ie london or some where my father inlaw lives in czech and has made the trip to the uk before many times by car and when we got him a sat nav he was i dont need one i no where im going till he used it hahaha now loves it i use mine well this year not once so not a lot but would not be with out it and up dating the maps are cheeper than buying new papper ones oh plus you get the added fact of it telling you speed traps and cams not that i ever speed ;-)

Although neater (more anal?) than the credit card torch I once saw a fag lighter that was actually a rechargeable torch. Think it was standard equipment in a Toureg.

Just to prove just how anal I am... I had that touareg torch in my Toledo. It fitted perfectly behind the ashtray flap there (which is where the lighter was concealed). I still have it at home but in the A4 it sits just too tall for the lighter to pivot closed...and that just wouldn't be me would it? lol. Good little torches though as you never had to worry about batteries being flat.

At this rate we could have a whole thread on storage ideas, make it a sticky and have my dream come true... :blush:

I did wonder if the Toureg torch would stop the flip up thing closing. Maybe you could mod the torch so it's shorter or recess the lighter socket a bit. You know it'd be worth the effort!

BTW - There's a cubby hole behind a drop down door in the side of the boot in avants and a lifesytems mountain first aid kit looks proper pervy in it.

Yeah, it's one storage-related mod I need to return to. Can't mod the torch but there's probably only a couple of mil in it and I might see if the trim will file down without looking stupid.

Thank God I didn't buy an avant, I would be in storage city overdrive. You should have seen the way I carved out the polystyrene insert inside my Toledo spare wheel (hmm, there is a lot of space in the A4 too for that - it housed my spare oil, torque wrench, bulbs...)

Just need to find a good location for my flamebeater fire extinguisher.

Does it properly fit under there? Thought it seemed a bit tight and I didn't want to push it. Really wish I hadn't mentioned anal now.

Mine fits ok - I guess it depends how much bumpf you have in the folder!

I have the proper Audi A4 first aid kit in the rear seats arm rest and a load of crap in the front! i must clean it out, i do like the hammer, where you get it from ?
Available in Halfords and most motor stores as well as DIY stores I think. They also do a grey version (which I saw after I bought my one). You would just need to attach with shorter screws than those supplied and I also put a bit of blue-tack behind the hammer in its holder so it doesn't move or rattle.