heres one for ya!!!

stu_m

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
i have a 2002 1.9 tdi since i got it its always taken quite a few turns befor the car fires up even when it had been running for a while!! i also noticed the coolant temp sensor had gone belly up as it was only reading 70 degrees! so thought it could be this!

changed the sensor and the temp starting reading right now the car will sometimes fire up straight away and sometimes take a few seconds on the key!!

now i went to show one of my mates this and at the time it was a bit dark so i had my lights switched on and it started first turn every time!!! but as soon as i turn the lights off it was back to starting after a few seconds on the key!!

i can get in the car turn the key and it will take a few seconds before it fires yet if i get in put the side/head lights on it will fire straight away!

any ideas?

nope cant afford the £60 +vat to get it scanned just yet!!

just seeing if anyone has come across anything like this before

Where are you based - perhaps someone nearby can VAG-COM/VCDS and save you the £60+VAT?
Any sensor problems will show up on the scan. - so much simpler than guessing.

youve got me on that one. it shouldnt make any difference. if it helps any.... you have an odd fault there!

Where are you based - perhaps someone nearby can VAG-COM/VCDS and save you the £60+VAT?
Any sensor problems will show up on the scan. - so much simpler than guessing.

im in Hull yorkshire

i think its time to get some overtime in and buy a VAG-COM for myself!!

My 1.9 TDi has the same starting issue, sometimes it starts straight away, other times it takes a few cranks before it goes. Doesnt make any difference if the engine is hot or cold either. I havent got to the bottom of it yet.

Never noticed if it makes any difference if the lights are on or not as I generally start it with the lights off.

My 1.9 TDi has the same starting issue, sometimes it starts straight away, other times it takes a few cranks before it goes. Doesnt make any difference if the engine is hot or cold either. I havent got to the bottom of it yet.

Never noticed if it makes any difference if the lights are on or not as I generally start it with the lights off.

i usually start with the lights off i figured it out when dropping a mate off and it was a bit dark i turned the car off to show him but left the lights on!! it started everytime first turn!!

so you going to flick your lights on now to see if it fires first go ? lol