Is the A4 to small?

reggieroo

Reaction score
Website
www.theirishshop.co.uk
I know this might sound silly but I'm finding the A4 a little uncomfortable, my left leg seems to rub on the side of the centre console. Does anyone else have this issue? I don't drive it that often but notice it every time I do.

Been wondering if the A6 would be a bit bigger & maybe I wouldn't have this issue.
The A4 is a nice looking car with good economy & I did have plans to make it look real nice but not so sure if this is the right car for me now, apart from that I can't complain but comfort is a big thing for me.

how tall are you im 5ft8 and dont have any problems at all and find it roomie enough but the a6 sounds like a better fit for you if you feel the a4 is to small all though my misses dad is 6ft3 and when he is in the car there is still loads of room

how tall are you im 5ft8 and dont have any problems at all and find it roomie enough but the a6 sounds like a better fit for you if you feel the a4 is to small all though my misses dad is 6ft3 and when he is in the car there is still loads of room

Well I'm 5ft10 but quite wide, been bodybuilding for 19 years & I do find I need quite a big car to be comfortable. Misses had an Astra Coupe before the Audi & I found the seats too small. The A4 is ok apart from the leg rub thing going on. The only car I find truly comfortable is my BMW 740i but just to dam expensive to run so it sits on the drive gathering dust.

Last edited:
well a6 is the car for you or maybe some thing bigger like the q7

yep i have the same prob too, legs too long lol, (6 2" ) and i found my previous car the astra sri exactly the same, i can live with it, but then i havnt been bodybuilding for any length of time so av weedy cycling legs.

im 6,2 and mine does the same but i only really notice it now and again..
when im on the motorway i sit with my leg up ( not on the footrest )

I don't know how much wider the A6 is than the A4, but they are worlds apart in terms of space, inside the A6 feels considerably wider, and generally much more spacious - correspondingly they're much bigger cars externally in day to day use.

Maybe I should hop over to the A6 section to ask some questions. I've pretty much decided to sell our A4 & BMW 740i & buy an estate car. I'm just trying to decide an Audi A6 Avant or BMW 5 series tourer.

I've not been in a recent A6, but I've been in a new 530d tourer, went well, but very disappointing interior quality I though. No where near as big as the A6 either.

I've got both BMW & Audi so it's difficult, 740i drives so much better than the A4 but it is a 7 series V8 whch is expected. I then wonder would a 5 series drive better than an A6 as they are both in the same class?

Would be looking at around 2002/2003 model of either BMW or Audi.

Sounds like a job for an S6 (B6) !!
4.2 v8. Lovely !

I had a brand new A6 2.0 TDI with 50 miles on the clock a couple of weeks ago while my A4 was being serviced.

Was only £11 a day not too bad !!

It was lovely had everything on it Sav nav CD changer funny round mouse type thing for screen control ! to much to mention and was huuuge compared with my a4.

I sat behind the drivers seat with it most of the way back and I still had plenty of room and I'm 6,2.
And the boot is also very big, I might have to get one eventually.

Our ****** buggy takes up 2/3rds of our boot.
My dog is well ****** off she has to share the boot with it !!

Well we have a buggy too & a big German shepherd who at the moment doesn't get to come out with us so we need an estate. It has to be something I'm comfortable in & also good economy as the misses does around 350 miles a week to work.

quattrojames said:
I second that, have exactly the same problem, the A4 boot isn't that big really is it.

Love the car to bits James it's just that the boot is quite tight, especially if your going away for a weekend somewhere with a baby & big dog ??

Think I need a roof box !

Buggy is quite big though as it's a 3 wheeler Phil & Teds jobby.
It's quite big, but good for a spot of "Off Roading" while dog walking!

Oh dear I think I'm getting old ! :-(

I do have a company car thar we generally use for long trips because of my company fuel card, but it hurts me to leave the A4 behind for a 1.6 **** diesel focus estate.

Roof bars & boxes can get ****** expensive though?

Will just make do for now I think.

Buggy is quite big though as it's a 3 wheeler Phil & Teds jobby.
It's quite big, but good for a spot of "Off Roading" while dog walking!

Oh dear I think I'm getting old ! :-(

Me too, I must be getting old also. A few years ago I wouldn't have thought I'd be having a dilmema involving space for a buggy, a dog, shopping & worrying what economy I get :unsure:

I'm still thinking about V8s & BHP though :wacko:

The typical man conundrum ?

Want the biggest engine/BHP they can afford to buy, but then don't want to go bankrupt paying for Fuel ?

Can't believe how many different models Audi have for the "A" series class though....

Still think the A6 is the model probably need though, so much more space!

Or an A4 with a roof box?

See link for all the A6 (B6) models. So much to choose from ?

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/reviews/audi/a6-avant-1998.aspx?page=7

Sorry in advance if that link doesn't work, I'm using my iPhone and it's a bit limited?

Thanks for the link, I just copy & pasted it.

I think it will be an A6 Avant, either a 2.5TDI Quattro 180 or I have also been tempted by the 4.2 V8 Quattro & fitting LPG, giving the equivalent to around 35mpg & 300bhp :w00t:

Still haven't ruled out a BMW 540i Tourer on LPG though. BMW is a little faster but not 4 wheel drive.

What is your budget??

A5 Sportback? Same size boot as the A6 estate.... probably not enough headroom for the dog though!

Or when I was looking for a an A6 for my dad last Dec, I found a cracking fully kitted A6 2.7TDI Quattro S-line estate: fully heated leather, DVD satnav, etc... all the toys.... £15k for a 2007 with 48k miles! Decent space, easilly remapped to 330lb/ft and 220bhp... and better fuel economy than our 2.5TDI QS's!

I wouldn't bother with the BMW's apparently they don't even fit indicators to any of the models ;-)

Only kiddin!

As lostbok says what's the rough budget ?

The budget is no more than £5000 I would say, all depends on what we get when we sell both our cars to be honest but can't see getting more than £5000 for both of them. We have the 1996 740i Auto, 160k FSH Fully loaded with 20" rims & the 02/52Audi A4 1.9TDI, 155k FSH.

A5 Sportback's out then lol

understatement.... I was looking at cars at Walton Audi: had a few Sportbacks, but the one that caught my eye: a FULLY loaded A4 Avant... 3.0TDI Q S-Line, DSG, Xenons, B&O Audio, HDD nav, full front and rear heated leather, DAB, Freeview, you name it! I think it was an early 2009, but with about 25k on the clock.... was still £30k!!!!!!

and similar spec'd 3.0 TDI Sportbacks were averaging about £10k more than that :bye:

Last edited:
I was looking at cars at Walton Audi QUOTE]

Ahhhhhh Walton Audi eh lostbok. I walk past it every morning !!
Howdy neighbour !!

Cars in there are naughty... I see them all lined up every day... Tempting but Way-Way out of my league (20-30k !! I wish)

There are so many top class Audi's in there even the ones getting serviced sometimes.... I just walk past upset as I go towards my kakky 1.6 **** Diesel Focus company car... Not good!

They had an R8 outside there the other morning Very Sexy - V10 5.2 FSI Quattro, DROOL

Looked like it had been towed there though.... Oh Dear....

They had an R8 outside there the other morning Very Sexy - V10 5.2 FSI Quattro, DROOL

My friend bought one nearly 2 months ago (2wks before it was first on Top Gear).... and Admiral messed up his insurance details and he got pulled by the cops in London: fortunately (a) he'd jsut got back from 2 weeks driving around South of France and hadn't got pulled/pranged there.... and (b) he'd already updated the details with Admiral as soon he got back into the country (but the police computers hadn't been updated yet).

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v148/LostBok/jokes/?action=view&current=Image077.jpg

And that was his first trip across London! Good to see them catching up with illegal drivers... I'd say it was a shame they occaisionally pulled up people who had valid insurance, but in this case it was NOT a wasted stop as it has caused months worth of entertainment for everybody at our office, as this was directly under our office window :D

If we'd know he'd be stopped there for 20-odd minutes we would have printed out on A4 pages "c-o-n-c-e-a-l-e-d w-e-a-p-o-n s-t-r-i-p-s-e-a-r-c-h!"

He traded in an F430 Spider for the R8 V10 Spider... and already has a B8 S4 Avant "run-about" and a Gallardo (tin-top).

Just a quick update to the guys following this post.

I ended up buying a 2002 Audi Allroad tiptronic in the end, picked it up yesterday eve.

Now I just need to sell our A4 & BMW 740i.