traction control / esp light

clough103

Reaction score
was driving along today and the esp light came on. tried pressing the button on the dash but it wouldnt go off. 30 secs later the light disappeared. On way home from work did it again, came on randomly and then went off about 30 secs later

any ideas folks, have i got a problem?

cheers

It could be a few different things, its probably best to try and arrange a scan with VAGcom to diagnose rather than offering you random guesses.

As said above, best arranging a scan.

My A3 had a similar problem, that may or may not have been the steering angle sensor. Can't say if thats what yours is, but who knows? Dunno if this forum has one, but most vag forums I'm on have a list of guys with vagcom, and its just a case of finding whoever is closest to you rather than paying the dealers.

Yeah I think there's a sticky with VAGcom owners listed in the VCDS section.

I don't know where the OP is?

My ESP light is on permanently @ the mo. My VAGcom scan identified my brake light switch (under steering wheel) is faulty.

Only £10 from the stealers, if your lucky! Could be lots I things though m8. Good luck.

Vagcom is easy to use and is a free download for the "lite" version.
Only about £15 for the USB KKL lead from flea-bay. Just search google or VCDS forums etc.

Getting my switch done when I get my new Brembo Discs & Ferodo DS2500 brakes fitted.

Hi all, I also have an ESP problem. When i start the car, all is fine then a few miles in to a journey my ESP comes on and i cant accelerate. This is where it gets interesting - when i try and accelerate with this problem, the car judders when revs as if something is blocked and light smoke comes from the exhaust. The smoke doesn't smell like brakes or clutch and the fault is intermittent. After checking the MAF / EGR / front ABS sensors, I took it for a spin and although it did it again, it took longer to do so (coincidence?) and when it did do it again, I seemed to be able to rev through it whilst stationary. At my wits end, i sat on my driveway with it idling and the ESP light would come on without me doing anything... Hopefully getting it scanned today - does this sound familiar or does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks