AH FabricationsSky Insurance

Thread: Gearbox oil

Neutral

Status

Gearbox oil

Ive recently noticed a slight notchy feeling when selecting first and reverse gear in my 2002 A4 1.9 tdi which has 125k miles on it, my mechanic has advised me to replace the gearbox oil, is this wise to do as ive been told to leave alone as the oil audi put in shud still be ok.

Anyone any experiance with this and what is the best oil to use?

Thanks Stephen
    Last edited by stevey_boy; 23rd July 2010 at 11:56.

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear
    Breakout Champion

Status
    a change wont hurt, im the same and will do mine soon, i believe its the rear diff oil on a quattro thats in for life
    2.5tdi Avant Q S 180 - 19" RS6 reps - chrome mirrors - ambient light package - cruise and dis retrofit - chrome side repeaters - front sline lowr conversion with cupra r splitter - rear lower valance with twin cut outs and exhaust tips - rs4 rear antiroll bar - puddle and footwell lights - sline door blades - fully colour coded - b8 autodimming mirror on custom window adapter - geuine aero wiper upgrade - genuine heated mirror upgrade

The're Graphite not black!!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by swarcup View Post
    a change wont hurt, im the same and will do mine soon, i believe its the rear diff oil on a quattro thats in for life
    Really??? Was about to order all fluids for mine to replace

DOPE with added OCD

Status
    Just go straight to Audi for your oils - they do stock them. I had some on my old B5 V6 Quattro and it only cost 9 for the oil. It made a huge difference to the tranmission too, soooo much smoother and probably pro-longed the life off the box as well.

I would highly recommend.

CMD
    Pointing Forward's!!!!!!!!!

Status
    I went and phoned Audi and asked what gearbox oil and how many liter's I would need for my A4 190t (54) . The reply i got was 1. Is the car petrol or diesel ??? 2. The guy asked me for my chassis as there are two type's. After telling him i don't have the car in front of me to give him the chassis number he said he can't help.

Can anyone help me with this. What oil do i require and how many liter's does my A4 190T (54) need
    AUDI A4 190T S-LINE.

WWW.PR-DETAILING.CO.UK CERTIFIED DETAILERS

DOPE with added OCD

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by CMD View Post
    I went and phoned Audi and asked what gearbox oil and how many liter's I would need for my A4 190t (54) . The reply i got was 1. Is the car petrol or diesel ??? 2. The guy asked me for my chassis as there are two type's. After telling him i don't have the car in front of me to give him the chassis number he said he can't help.

Can anyone help me with this. What oil do i require and how many liter's does my A4 190T (54) need
    Colin, ring another dealership! They are idiots because they can do it from your reg number - I get asked for mine all the time and just give them the reg and within seconds they have everything they need to know - it sounds like you got some nine to fiver "can't be arsed idiot" on the phone - like we all know our chassis number of the top of our heads!!

6th Gear

Status
    Audi gearbox oil differs if 6 speed or 5 speed allthough all are 75w90 synthetic oils. The diff oil is also a 75w90 but its calles "axle oil" instead and it has a different part number indeed. I have filled my quattro's gearbox and rear diff with gearbox oil and no problems soo far, been like that for about 50k... However, the oil that drained wasnt deteriorated at all but the diff was a tad lower-no leaks either-but, on some cars the oil was pretty rough with bronze shavings in suspension(from syncros) and some were a different composition like 2 imischible liquids were mixed (like oil and water) ! The new rear diff oil is much thinner than the old oils...
    FOR SALE:
    -Golf mk 5/audi a3 1.6 FSI fuel pump, brand new genuine part boxed + seals
    -audi a3 (1998 to 2003) genuine clutch slave cylinder to fit 1.6 engines BRAND NEW
    -Rear bush press tool to fit new rear axle bushes on Golf Mk3/4, Audi a3/S3, Seat Leon/Toledo, Skoda Octavia mk 1/2 used once

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by adamss24 View Post
    imischible
    What a great word, every days a school day.

Is there a tutorial on where the drain and level bolts are or is it obvious when under there.
    Mines baulking a little when cold and just wondering if a change may improve it.

The're Graphite not black!!

Status
    Technically front gearbox needs a GL4 oil and the rear diff a GL5 although both have the same 75w90 weight. There are plenty of oils out there which are GL4&5 compliant. I used Fuchs

Neutral

Status
    Audi just quoted me 16.79 per litre for their geabox oil. He could not tell the grading ............. or is not allowed to.
    You need 2.4 litres too.
    Hope this helps.

CMD

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by whitty View Post
    Audi just quoted me 16.79 per litre for their geabox oil. He could not tell the grading ............. or is not allowed to.
    You need 2.4 litres too.
    Hope this helps.
    I have sorted out some gearbox oil from TPS. 30 for 3 ltr's.
    AUDI A4 190T S-LINE.

CMD

Status
    Just an update. Gearbox oil, Engine oil and all filter's and coolant all changed. My main man S4twiggy/Grant's double garage came in handy yet again. Big thank's to him and his old man for getting all OEM part's for me as well as getting there hand's dirty.
    AUDI A4 190T S-LINE.