Detailing your car.

steeleez

Reaction score
Lads, I've noticed a few threads asking about cleaning products for your car, the secret to getting your car as shiney as it should be is the prep work, if you remove the swirls and contaminents from your paint first virtually any wax or sealant will look good on your car. Over the years I have spent a lot of money on machine polishers, polishes, pads, waxes, sealants etc. In hindsight I wish I had paid a professional detailer to prep my car properly and then all I would have to do is maintain the finish properly ie. wash using the 2 bucket method and keep the car topped up with a wax/sealant of your choice.

If your intent on doing it yourself, then I would recommend the following, in brackets is what I use:
Wash the car with fairy washing up liquid(this will strip off any wax on the car)
Wash with shampoo (zymol shampoo)
Clay the car (Bilthammer clay)
Wash again with shampoo.
Polish (Autoglym super resin polish)
Seal, optional, put sealant only, wax only or sealant topped with wax(Autoglym extra gloss protection)
Wax (Collinite 915)
Windows (Autoglym fast glass)
Wheels (Diluted all purpose cleaner)
Tyres (Meguiars endurance tyre dressing)
Microfibre wash mitt
Microfibre polishing cloths (good quality)
Drying towels (good quality)

Those are what I've found to be the best value for money over the years, I've used top notch sealants and waxes, including zymol vintage and zaino and while they are brilliant, if the paint is not prepped properly you are wasting your time and money, for me the best value wax on the market is collinite 915, it leaves a very good finish, it's easy to use and lasts for months.

Hope this helps a few of you and these are only my opinion.

By the way I am not a pro detailer or affiliated with any detailer.