Problems on your Audi A4 1.9 tdi

sun3y

Reaction score
Hello all, I've recently signed up to the site, & I'm looking to buy a Audi A4 1.9 Tdi SE 02-04.

I'm just trying to find out what are the common problems to look out for, if anyone can give me a bit of head's up I'd really appreciate it!

cheers

sunny

i think they are realy strong mate iv got a 1.9 tdi sports with 140k on the clocks still drives really really good and you would not no it i think just look for the same as you would on any car id make sure the turbo is good and not making any wierd sounds and no black smoke.
aircon seems comen problems with them too so make sure its good there or that will cost you as im finding out.
but like most will say on here just have a good look around it and a good drive you should be fine but thats not to say some thing will not go wrong with it as its a car :yes:also if you can strech it have a look at a sports and a drive before you buy an se seem to be nicer.

I have read recently that the aircon can be a problem, just an issue inside the car with the cold air or just something to do with the mode etc. but thanks for replying mate. will keep searching, should seeing some this weekend!

yep strong audi diesel units go on and on, common probs as mentioned appear to be aircon issues, (as ive had) and also the abs/traction light illuminating on dashboard which is an easy fix as its mostly down to the brake pedal switch (about a tenner for the part and a 10 min job) thermostat probs also crop up from time to time, mines done 127k and drives very well , ive heard of some of these engines doing 250-295k and more if well looked after.

Last edited:
Engines and drivetrains are relatively bulletproof, but off the top of my head:

Wiper mechanism seizes
Drain holes under battery block and flood footwell
Rear wiper (avant) fails when washer pipe splits
Rear number plate lights bulb holders rust
Thermostat/temp sensor can fail
Glovebox hinges/catch's weak
Peeling lacquer
Interior door trim easily damaged/chipped
Speaker/elec window wires in doors can break
Aircon general efficiency

I'm sure there's more, but none of those should put you off the right car as they're all minor issues.

mines got 250k on and still going strong!!!

problems have already been mentioned!

I have also an 2003 Audi A4 1.9 TDI is very nice car , it drives very good and the crazy thing is that have almost 450.000km but nothing can stop it , is still going , is very strong and fast car , i had only 3 problems with the car the intercooler was licking, 1 cylinder cabel had been changed , and EGR changed too , that was the only problems in this car , it is old but gold

Listen for suspension noises as these cars have lots of control arms/rubbers that can add up if you need to replace.

Myself and a mate both had the rear boot lock & catch issues, normally failing to release the boot in hot weather and also the boot not shutting on the catch.Both easy and relatively cheap fixes.

As said, check glove box hinge and pull handle, hinge is an easy fix, I've now got the handle to fix on mine.

An obvious one, but check windows work fine no noises as I've had to replace the window regulators on the front.