A3 airbag wiring schematic

c0kecan

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Need to investigate intermittent fault with lateral crash sensor.
Has anyone got the wiring layout for this and location of airbag control module. So I can find both ends of the cable

Thanks in advance

Feb 2004 A3 (8P)

need to find far end connector and how to get to it thats all, can get to the one in the pillar beneath the seatbelt

Does anyone know how to remove the centre console to acces the airbag control unit infornt of the gearstick

Its well fwd of the gearstick right up to the bulkhead on the floor held in place by 3x 10 mm bolts. if you remove the screws that hold the trim covers in place footwell area you can bend the cover back and access the nuts 2 on one side 1 on the other,but you have to first be careful not to bend a crease in the trim cover, have lots of patience as you only get limited spanner turns and be careful with the multiplug it has a saftey lock to keep it securley in place.or you could take out the console completley but its still fiddely.

I bought a can-bus lead from bestofferbuy.com (£22) and it arrived today. ran vag.com and got

Address 15: Airbags Labels: 8P0-959-655-84.lbl
Part No SW: 8P0 959 655 F HW: 8P0 959 655 F
Component: Airbag 8.4ED H01 0130
Coding: 0011602
Shop #: WSC 06435 000 00000

1 Fault Found:
01739 - Crash Sensor for Front Airbag; Pass. Side (G284)
011 - Open Circuit - MIL ON

the part number it shows is different to the one i took out and replaced ( 4BO 959 643 E) EDIT ** its the ecu module not the sensor.

an open circuit is no circuit itake it so the connector is eiher ****** or needs cleaning. it suggests trying to swap the passenger side with the drivers side to see it the fault changes so will try that and see where it goes.

Had the centre console out at the weekend, boy was it fiddly. did not take out the control module.

will wait til weekend now as working so i can get the module out and test the cable. BTW whats the best way to test the cable?

Last edited:
@c0kecan

Didn't want to necro an old thread but did you get this sorted?

Thread resurrection:

Iv got the same problem crash sensor pass side It must be a break in the wire somewhere. Iv swapped it with the drivers side and bypassed the connector plug so it can only be a break in the wire somewhere can anyone tell me where the wires go please..

Attachments

• 3E7EC4F5-6220-45F2-A9D4-9854A9F45532.jpeg
    3E7EC4F5-6220-45F2-A9D4-9854A9F45532.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 441