New A3 - about to order, last minute advice.

palexr

Reaction score
Hi,

Newb here, I am about to put an order on for a A3.

Right now I'm looking at 1.8TFSI, Sportback, Sport. I figured Sport would be a bit more comfortable and offer all the road holding an S Line? I thought about a 2.0TDI but I fancy a return to petrol and it's more linear power delivery. I'm thinking about remapping (70% sure I will).

With:
Illuminated vanity mirrors
Black styling pack
Comfort pack
Non smoking pack
Solid - Ibis white
Dynamic cloth upholstery - Black/Silver
Open Sky panoramic sunroof

What do you chaps think? Is there anyting that in your experience should definitely be on/replace something on the list? Anything I should know?

Cheers

At the end of the day, it depends how far are you willing to go with the car. If you're planning to DD with alot of mods in mind, then I think the 2.0TFSI is a better route since there's alot of options being offered out there right now.

Yeah, the 2.0TFSI would be nice no doubt but budgets must....

I did. But then I got wind of the lead times being out to December and January. Also, we've just enlarged the familly, hence the Sportback, and I've read quite a bit about the S Line suspension on 18" being a bit stiff/crashy? The last thing I need is my wife pulling a face every time we go over a slight bump. Like I said, I figured the Sport suspension would be a bit more comfortable and just as good (bar the aesthetics - which are subjective anyway). I was looking at the magnetic ride on the Sport to be able to switch between the two. But the A3 will be our second car so I don't have squillions to spend on it and the little one will travel 80% of the time in the proper "familly" car (VW Touareg), so Sport was a compromise.

if it were me i'd get the S-Line and 2.0T, especially if you want to mod... tho if it's a 2nd car wouldn't the 1.4T or 1.6TDI suffice? surely you've no need for your baby wagon to do a million miles an hour :p.

make no mistake, they're both very hard and borderline uncomfortable at low speeds. i've got a prefacelift Sport at the moment with 17s, and am about to get hold of a 2nd hand S-Line (1st facelift) with 18s and i didn't notice a massive amount of difference between the ride comfort. as far as i was aware the suspension was the same anyways. just get some decent tyres and you'll be fine - i recommend Cooper Zeon CS6s. alternatively spend the money you were gonna spend on a remap on getting aftermarket suspension.

also personal choice but i wouldn't get it in white. it'll go out of style in a year or two and it's really REALLY overdone currently i feel. Condor grey would look the business with your black styling pack and the black roof you get with the Open Sky system.

I would scrap the panaramic roof and have leather with heated seats. That will make your car worth more when you sell it rather than the sunroof....

if it were me i'd get the S-Line and 2.0T, especially if you want to mod... tho if it's a 2nd car wouldn't the 1.4T or 1.6TDI suffice? surely you've no need for your baby wagon to do a million miles an hour :p.

make no mistake, they're both very hard and borderline uncomfortable at low speeds. i've got a prefacelift Sport at the moment with 17s, and am about to get hold of a 2nd hand S-Line (1st facelift) with 18s and i didn't notice a massive amount of difference between the ride comfort. as far as i was aware the suspension was the same anyways. just get some decent tyres and you'll be fine - i recommend Cooper Zeon CS6s. alternatively spend the money you were gonna spend on a remap on getting aftermarket suspension.

also personal choice but i wouldn't get it in white. it'll go out of style in a year or two and it's really REALLY overdone currently i feel. Condor grey would look the business with your black styling pack and the black roof you get with the Open Sky system.

Cheers guys.

Yes, Babywagon, but only 20% of the time. The rest of the time I will be using it to drive to work and I'm really crap with time and whatnot... Often myself having to get to work in a hurry :) I thought the 1.8 struck a good balance.

Since the S Line and Sport are nearly the same and the SE doesn't appeal, I guess I might as well go with the Sport for a bit less with a bit more in it.

Yep, I also thought of leather, but then I look the look of the panoramic roof, the black on the white, and it brightens up the otherwise sslightly somber Audi interior. But heated leather seats are nice and they would keep clean easier.

Arghh, should never have asked.

id say xenons are a must, why arent you going fro a nearly new car and saving considerable dosh

My wife loves the BE. I'd say go for it. Also, ours is a 1.8 - the acceration is more than adequate. Yes, it is a hard ride at times, but its handling on tight bends is superb. When I look at other cars, I see nothing I'd rather have.

A nearly new car would be OK, but I am getting the car on a company allowance so. The only stipulation the company have is that the car has to have 4 seats and be up to 4 years old. The deadline is coming up in August, so with one thing and another I haven't left myself too much time. They'll be ok with an Sept/October delivery so long as the order has been placed, but dec/Jan for the BE is pushing it. Plus, with a new car you get what you want.

aythree, I think the rear parking sensors come with the comfort pack.

Find a car that is in stock or has been pre ordered by a dealer and has a build date/Close. look for one you really like with as close as spec you can get, many options can be added after at a later date, you will save money, and get a better car. Fight for a Discount, should be looking to around 10%
The only down side to a dealer pre ordered car is you cannot take an extended warranty when you buy it new, (So Stupid)
If I bought mine again.

I have a BE, look for that sports suspension package, makes it softer slower speeds, Comfort package is a must. DSG was a must as well for me, BE gives a better stereo, and cheaper to upgrade. Blue Tooth, AMI, Sat Nav, if poss but can be added easy later, Buckets seats though a hard one.

There are cars out there, every dealer has some tucked away, but it is time consuming.

Well, ordered!

Just need to wait now.....

Deposit paid! Now how to wait patiently till October....?

Congratulations! You will love it!

Aye, I'm worried I might get A3 fatigue if I hang around here too much. Then again there is a whole load of useful info.