audi A3 concert single CD player to Sat nav unit?

gizm0

Reaction score
hi there, my girlfriend has a 2004 A3 which comes with the standard single din concert cd player like this....
2ufxbp1.jpg

but, she would like to upgrade it to the audi sat nav unit like this...

25ewoyu.jpg

basicly has anyone done this conversion before? if so whats involved, what model headunit will i need? and is there any sort of programming that will be needed to get it working?

thanks in advance

Dan :)

ive done a double di conversion, its just a few parts not bad at all, the major bits are the double din cage new climate unit (or trim the old one) you also need new switches a facia and a new support(if you intend of keeping the ashtray, most like me have opted for the ashtray delete, its cheaper and gives lots more room. you need your new headuint no coding isrequired unless you want to add features (such as 6cd) would you be looking for an installer?

Plenty of people have done the conversion. -There's an FAQ/DIY on it over on fourtitude, I think I recall.

Be advised that you have to replace the frame with a double-Din frame, which isn't particularly cheap.

Also, you'll need to replace the hazard switch/card-holder/option switch cluster panel, since it moves down and gets narrower/slimmer. The card holder also has to be replaced with a slimmer version (old one doesn't fit) and the same is true for the switch cluster. The ONLY thing which can carry over completely unmolested is the hazard switch.

Then you should also get a smaller climate control panel. The newer one sits lower (so is slimmer) and is a little shorter also... -look at the panel height above the LED readout in the two pictures. -If you're feeling adventurous and like to gamble, you can cut your existing one down a bit, dremel and file off the sides and shift it down lower.

It's quite a bit of work, but I'm SO GLAD that I did my retrofit.

Keith

cheers for that guys, did you guys replace the climate control or did you file it down?

anychance of a rough price of what it all cost to do please?

i think if its a case of removing the old kit and plugging in and fitting the new one then i should be ok with it.

thanks for your help guys :)

i replaced it theres a few on ebay at minute prices atm, oh and check out sharks guide on how to do it its far better and more comprihensive than the fortitude one

i replaced it theres a few on ebay at minute prices atm, oh and check out sharks guide on how to do it its far better and more comprihensive than the fortitude one

Yeah noticed the double din facias on eBay,what's the difference between the 2007 cage and the 2009 cage? Will all the climate control and headunits fit each cage or do they have to be the same year for all parts?
Anychance of a link to the guide as im still struggling to find my way round this forum, cheers

hi there, my girlfriend has a 2004 A3 which comes with the standard single din concert cd player like this....
2ufxbp1.jpg

but, she would like to upgrade it to the audi sat nav unit like this...

25ewoyu.jpg

basicly has anyone done this conversion before? if so whats involved, what model headunit will i need? and is there any sort of programming that will be needed to get it working?

thanks in advance

Dan :)
yes it's possible follow this link and you can do it step by step..
be happy and enjoy..
Nav RNS-E&Bluetooth Retrofit single DIN to double DIN conversion - by:WhyteA3 - AudiWorld.com Audi Wiki