Volks AutosSky Insurance
    Reverse Gear

Status

Has anyone got one of these Sat Nav units fitted??

Come across this whilst looking for a sat nav upgrade, but cant find any reviews or any other retailers of this unit apart from this one website. Anyone know if its any good?

http://www.car-vision.co.uk/product_...nkhv15nnldfg35

2. # ADS
    ADS

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Add N8 on Facebook Visit N8's Instagram Channel
    Most of us run OEM RNS

Gievf Buckets

Status
    i have it and oem rns, go for the rnse the build quality of the unit is poor but functuallity is good, you get what you pay for, in hindsight id have 2 rns-e's check my a3 build over on vagoc.co.uk for installed pics

2007 S3 PhantomSchwartz

Spec | Auto Lights | Black Headlining | RNS-E with 6 CD Changer | Phone Prep | Facelift Tails | MFSW | Cruise | Bluetooth | Adaptive Bi-xenon Headlights |

Mods
    | MY10 Facelift | 75% LED's | Sepang Bronze Facelift Alloys

Plans | LED 3dr tails | BBK Setup | Some BBS | Custom TBE |

Quote Originally Posted by N8
    Yes, but they are OEM Phaeton Helios alloy wheels, not cheap ****e aftermarket piles of poop.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Thanks for the advice guys, I was worried about the quality of the unit, think I will just stick with the Audi one!!!

5th Gear

Status
    Slightly off topic but why the hell do Audi not offer any touch screen interface for sat nav when the Golf's had it for ages since the mk5 came out. That would be a good upgrade but don't think it would fit.
    A3 2.0TFSI quattro Sportback Lava Grey | | GIAC K03 Extreme Map | Autotech HPFP | RS4 Fuel Regulator | Neuspeed P-Flo | BSH PCV Fix | MV Sport DP | S3 Intake Cam | 285 BHP & 320 lb Ft Torque
    Votex Kit | TD Pro race 1.2 | Schwarze Audi Rings | Alu Rails | Sachs Clutch | H & R Now gone. Current- A5 Cab 2012

Reverse Gear

Status
    well yeah thats what i was trying to get, the Rns-e looks so out of date compared to the VW rns-510 now, are audi going to update their systems soon?? you would think they would do an audi version of that unit, it has a HDD aswell, much better system!

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by akash_sky1 View Post
    Slightly off topic but why the hell do Audi not offer any touch screen interface for sat nav when the Golf's had it for ages since the mk5 came out. That would be a good upgrade but don't think it would fit.
    but they do offer sds speech dialogue which is an easy hack.

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Add N8 on Facebook Visit N8's Instagram Channel
    I don't really like touchscreen prefer the RNS.

Sharpest Tongue in the West

Status
    Couldn't agree more, Audi technology when it comes to entertainment and satnav is so out of date it's untrue, I mean just look at their ipod offerings for instance. RNSe is ok, but it's not clever and aftermarket offerings (Pioneer, Alpine etc) are so far ahead for the same money as a 4 year old RNSe on ebay!? Go figure that one???
    Porsche Cayman S |Jeep Grand Cherokee|1988 Ford Fiesta XR2

www.essexdriversclub.com

1st Gear

Status
    Touchscreen might be easy to learn, but it is dangerous to use. With buttons that doesn't exist in reality and no feedback from it, you literally have to look at what you are pressing, as opposed to glancing at a button's location and being able to press it by feel. There are no touchscreens on fighter jets or commercial airliners because when the going gets rough, it would be suicidal to assume that you have pressed the flat virtual button on that giant flat panel when you could have pressed any other things.

3rd Gear

Status
    Totally agree.

Dec
    2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by LWNY View Post
    Touchscreen might be easy to learn, but it is dangerous to use. With buttons that doesn't exist in reality and no feedback from it, you literally have to look at what you are pressing, as opposed to glancing at a button's location and being able to press it by feel. There are no touchscreens on fighter jets or commercial airliners because when the going gets rough, it would be suicidal to assume that you have pressed the flat virtual button on that giant flat panel when you could have pressed any other things.
    Sorry to be a pain but I disagree with that.

If I were to go out and buy an RNS-E then I would have to look at the buttons for a while until I got used to the positions etc.. of them. This is the same with touchscreens. I have had my Pioneer touchscreen for around 17 months now, and can operate it easily enough without looking. I dont think anyone could easily scroll through an iPod's memory and choose an artist/album/song without looking, so that would be the same really, however changing to the next track, or changing to the radio from a cd etc.. is simple enough and the interface is so easy to use. They are even more advanced and user friendly now on the more updated ones too, so i would imagine it is even less hassle

'04 A3 2.0 TDI.

Sharpest Tongue in the West

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by LWNY View Post
    What utter nonsense, how is touching a button on a screen any different to touching a normal button??

And how often do you go dogfighting MIG-29s in your A3! hehe
    Porsche Cayman S |Jeep Grand Cherokee|1988 Ford Fiesta XR2

www.essexdriversclub.com

3rd Gear

Status
    I dont think Audi will be updating there MMI too soon to touch screen, they have just updated the RNS-E, and even the new A1 has just only got HDD, pretty sure that is not touch screen, I have to agree Audi are very backwards with there Sat Nav/Audio systems, but as others said, they work and of good build quality.

I spent ages looking at other systems but in the end I paid my money for the latest RNS-E.

Gievf Buckets

Status
    youve been able to get hard drives for the rns-e for ages, search phatnoise, dont think you can spec it anymroe though

2007 S3 PhantomSchwartz

Spec | Auto Lights | Black Headlining | RNS-E with 6 CD Changer | Phone Prep | Facelift Tails | MFSW | Cruise | Bluetooth | Adaptive Bi-xenon Headlights |

Mods

Yes, but they are OEM Phaeton Helios alloy wheels, not cheap ****e aftermarket piles of poop.

3rd Gear

Status
    I did not know there was an after market one, but I was referring to Audi offering it.
    Quote Originally Posted by P5SND View Post
    youve been able to get hard drives for the rns-e for ages, search phatnoise, dont think you can spec it anymroe though

Gievf Buckets

Status
    it was a specable option mate but i think it was pre 2006 so its fully oem

2007 S3 PhantomSchwartz

Mods

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Yeah phatnoise is old hat now with ami on the latest audi's, although was handy back then by all reports & could hack it to take larger drives aswell.

What pisses me of is, as someone else mentioned, the vw brand is supposedly the 2nd in line in VAG, but e.g. a mk5 golf has some better tech options, like touchscreen amongst others, why audi dont do anything like this on there flagship brand & same level car is beyond me.

As for the touchscreen comments, my sentiments exacly, pressing a touchscreen virtual button or an actual button isnt any different, however it does enable multitude of screens to be used, cuts down on weight, wiring, etc etc, all good for me, but then I'm a tech whore anyway lmfao

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

Gievf Buckets

Status
    aint we all nige, im opting for adaptive facelifts just gonna have to buy the housings form audi and sell the plain bixenons

that being said the rns-e is far sexier than the vw alternative imho

2007 S3 PhantomSchwartz

Mods

Dec
    2nd Gear

Status
    Just been looking at the new RNS-e with the ami, and I sooo want to do a double din conversion lol

'04 A3 2.0 TDI.

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Talk to me then as I can get the newer units from time to time, but arent cheap plus I'm not far from you.

Gievf Buckets

Status
    exactly and by the ounds of things youll need a hand on the install, it can be abugger first time round, take advantage of niges knowlage

2007 S3 PhantomSchwartz

Mods

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Actually done a few conversions of late, basically the MK2 rns units converted from a TT mk2 unit to an A4 version & 8P version, worked a treat & still leaves you with 2 working units aswell, sell the older one to recoup some costs.

I've actually got a DD cage & buttons for sale.

Gievf Buckets

Status
    haha if only you had them a few months ago when i did my install, relating to tt installs drop over to vagoc and youll soon find a gem of a thread

2007 S3 PhantomSchwartz

Mods

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Whats so special about that the thread?

Reverse Gear

Status
    You boys should go check out the last episode of fifth gear when they reviewed the new audi A8. Sat Nav that ran Google Maps and more ...

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Old hat, seen it already, its the whole package I look at when buying a car, the whole car not just that part, I sat in the new A8, didnt do much for me tbh.