AH FabricationsJMB Retrofits
    Rally Driver - road Audi S3-8P

Status

S3 Charlotte: Disaster Ongoing!

Hello to all,

you may know my car quite well by now, the 'BHZ' S3 8P in full 2+ spec, plus Turbo Dynamics Hybrid.

You will never believe this:
    the car started having fuelling problems, eventually turning off on its own each time I floored it.
    Took it ti my Audi dealer, driving it. They did not understand well what it is, and changed the following parts:
    - Fuel injectors
    - fuel sensors
    - low pressure fuel pump
    - high pressure fuel pump (just for test and trial)
    - hpfp cam lobe
    - hpfp cam checked, and they say it is ok.
    - motor cylinder head and valves taken apart and checked.
    - changed all camshaft valve followers.

The result is that now the car now will not even turn on, Audi does not have a hint of what to do, and I am left with the car not working at all.
    I have a window of 10 days before my tuning mechanic can take it on, and wanted to hear if any of you had similar experiences, any hints or help accepted!

Cheers,
    AJ
    2008 S3 8P: Forge DV, Twincooler, Short gear throw - CustomCAI - Full Milltek resonated - APR HPFP - PensoTech Custom Map - Sachs Racing clutch/cover assembly - NGK Iridium's - Bilstein B8's, tuned - Eibach ERS Springs- H&R antiroll bars - Bespoke Fixed WRC Camber Plates - Haldex Gen II & Switch - Tarox F2000 disks - Ferodo DS2500 pads - OZ Racing Gran Turismo LM 18" - Michelin PSport PS3's
    389bhp - 49kgm
    From Factory: everything but the sunroof.

2. # ADS
    ADS

KRL
    3rd Gear

Status
    Oh dear

When you say it won't turn on what happens?

- trys to turn over but will not catch?
    - Nothing, electrics working?
    Ice Silver S3 + every single option + REVO + BSH Street Can + Forge Twintake + Autotech

Status
    Hello KRL, thank you for the interest ;-)

The motor turns, but it just does not catch.
    It happened that the engine turned on, running clear and clean in neutral, but will turn off as soon as you give it some load by starting off driving (just moving the car).
    Electrics appear to be working fine. Audi diagnostics showed 129.9 bar of fuel right up to the massive cut that turned the car off... "Then an error saying that the minimum low pressure value has not been achieved came out.
    2008 S3 8P: Forge DV, Twincooler, Short gear throw - CustomCAI - Full Milltek resonated - APR HPFP - PensoTech Custom Map - Sachs Racing clutch/cover assembly - NGK Iridium's - Bilstein B8's, tuned - Eibach ERS Springs- H&R antiroll bars - Bespoke Fixed WRC Camber Plates - Haldex Gen II & Switch - Tarox F2000 disks - Ferodo DS2500 pads - OZ Racing Gran Turismo LM 18" - Michelin PSport PS3's
    389bhp - 49kgm

KRL
    3rd Gear

Status
    It sounds like you have a seized fuel pump to me. Do you have a spare HPFP you can swap in?
    Ice Silver S3 + every single option + REVO + BSH Street Can + Forge Twintake + Autotech

5th Gear

Status
    Are you trying to get this sorted under warrenty???

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by AJames View Post
    Hello KRL, thank you for the interest ;-)

The motor turns, but it just does not catch.
    It happened that the engine turned on, running clear and clean in neutral, but will turn off as soon as you give it some load by starting off driving (just moving the car).
    Electrics appear to be working fine. Audi diagnostics showed 129.9 bar of fuel right up to the massive cut that turned the car off... "Then an error saying that the minimum low pressure value has not been achieved came out.
    does that not point to either your HPFP or LPFP being the problem?
    A3 2.0TFSI quattro Sportback Lava Grey | | GIAC K03 Extreme Map | Autotech HPFP | RS4 Fuel Regulator | Neuspeed P-Flo | BSH PCV Fix | MV Sport DP | S3 Intake Cam | 285 BHP & 320 lb Ft Torque
    Votex Kit | TD Pro race 1.2 | Schwarze Audi Rings | Alu Rails | Sachs Clutch | H & R Now gone. Current- A5 Cab 2012

Status
    Hello all, thank you for the replies.

Warranty or money are not an issue, the car just expired its 2yr period in May.

We have changed both the LPFP and the HPFP, and no, the problem did not solve!
    With the stock HPFP, we acknowledged that the problem is even more evident. The APR pums helps, but still same problem.

At the end, Audi was going on about a possible over-pressure within the HP fuel rail.
    389bhp - 49kgm

Neutral

Status
    ....... errr have you tried giving it a little kick, may be on one of the wheels? Or headbutting the steering wheel? If that fails, burn it.

............ sorry, i'll get my coat.
    Current:
    Dec 09 S3 Sportback - Daytona Grey-S-tronic-Magnetic Ride-Sat Nav-Bose-Cruise-Luggage & Storage Pack-Privacy Glass-Rear Window Blinds-AMI-Light & Rain-Tyre Pressure-Rear Parking-Phone Prep
    Old
    2007 S3 - Phantom Black-Manual-Sat Nav-Bose-Interior Light-Storage-Cruise-Adaptive Xenon-Parking Sensors-Through Load-Light & Rain-Phone Prep
    Old:
    2004 R32 - Black

6th Gear

Status
    who remapped it? I take it its not a fault with the remap cutting the engine like an anti theft device that some of the manufacturers offer. Just trying to think somewhere else....
    2003-2008 1998 Red A3 8L 1.8 Sport
    2008 -> 2003 Akoya Silver A3 8P1 2.0 FSi Sport

Status
    Unfortunnately not mate,

the map is solid & custom, and has worked for months...
    I think that Audi dealer has gone wrong in evaluating the intake cam wear: the engine emits a tin/glass-like sound from the cam/hpfp area, so I think the problem is there...
    389bhp - 49kgm

Audi=No fault code, no idea

Status
    Check your fuel pump relay is not kicking out under load.
    Ibis white Revo S3 and now matching Vivaro LWB HR 2900 :-)

Many people are alive because its illegal to shoot them.

Status
    how do I do that please?
    389bhp - 49kgm

Status
    The relay is in the fuse box under the bonnet, easiest thing would be to find some one else with an A3 and swop it over and see.

Status
    There are four relays:
    R1- J329
    R2- J682
    R3 - J757
    R4 - J271
    Which one?
    389bhp - 49kgm

2nd Gear

Status
    hello, i have my own garage and sometimes in cases like this we have had many cases were we have turned cars away due to the massive amount of engine mods that have been done to cars... sounds like you have done a lot of modding to it and IMO a nice car like a s3 shoudlnt really have anythign done to it apart from maybe a simple remap or so. I like to keep cars standard and enjoy them rarther than play with them til they break example.................. sorry. i also think that your audi dealer maybe at their witts end with the car as some dealers have the issue of not being able to fix a car from time to time they just want rid of it and cut their losses .

4th Gear

Status
    marnie, theres a lot of hignly modded s3s on here, and elsewhere. l think there is more to it than what the OP has told us. Ajames, it would help if you can tell us exactly what youve had done. Your custom map is looking dodgy to me as its not well known around here.

2nd Gear

Status
    yes i understand that i like to modify myself but in reason but it sounds like there has been a massive amount of work and mods done to this s3 so the fault could be anything really ...

Status
    Will let you all know as soon as it gets fixed. All work has been done by the highest professionals, and all the best parts and suppliers have been used. The car has run flawlessly for 70k km.
    389bhp - 49kgm

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by marnie2k View Post
    I like to keep cars standard and enjoy them rarther than play with them til they break example.................. sorry.
    Quote Originally Posted by marnie2k View Post
    yes i understand that i like to modify myself but in reason but it sounds like there has been a massive amount of work and mods done to this s3 so the fault could be anything really ...
    Thats contradictory.

The guy is just askin for help.

Definately a fueling issue, the map wouldn't have just changed all of a sudden. I know this is quite a basic thing but maybe audi reflashed your ecu by mistake.....?
    2008 Audi S3
    REVO Stage 1

Status
    Fuel pump relay is R3.Worth a try.

1 Fuse -27- (located in fuse holder in dash panel, left-side)

l Fuse -33 (located in fuse holder in electronics box in engine compartment)

4th Gear

Status
    The only thing this guy has , that l see, different from mine is the map. Engine wise anyways, and the DV. As for his acclaimed output then l reckon the map is way to far turned up. And the RR he uses is out.

4th Gear

Status

5th Gear

Status
    389 is a bit high for a with stage 2+ with standard ko4
    A3 2.0TFSI quattro Sportback Lava Grey | | GIAC K03 Extreme Map | Autotech HPFP | RS4 Fuel Regulator | Neuspeed P-Flo | BSH PCV Fix | MV Sport DP | S3 Intake Cam | 285 BHP & 320 lb Ft Torque
    Votex Kit | TD Pro race 1.2 | Schwarze Audi Rings | Alu Rails | Sachs Clutch | H & R Now gone. Current- A5 Cab 2012