'09 A3 2.0 TDI Black Edition (Sold)
    '58 BMW 120M Sport (Sold)

On Wish List : Merc CL63 AMG Coupe

2. # ADS
    ADS

Pii
    4th Gear

Status
    Like most people here my opinion is that it is acceptable but not freezing.... Still, you can't cool down you back and butt which are planted onto the leather seats so you'll probably still feel hot to some degree!

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by maninthestreet View Post
    Nick,

Can you please explain what 'air con machine' you hooked your A3 up to?
    My 2010 A3 (6 months old) with climate control suffers from the same problem as everyone else's on this thread - cool, but not as cold as I believe it should be.
    Bosch ACS650.
    The units perform a wide range of functions fully automatically:
    • Refrigerant extraction and recycling
    • Used oil drainage
    • Evacuation and leak testing
    • Fresh oil and UV additive feeding
    • Precise refrigerant feeding.
    2010 Audi A3, Sportback 2.0 TDI 170 PS, S-line Black Edition,
    Exclusive Suzuka Gray, Exclusive Silver & Black Full Nappa Leather Heated Seats,
    Blue Tooth,Bose Symphony 6 CD - i Pod.
    Bi-Xenon Headlights / DRL Led, 18" Titanium alloy wheels.

MODERATOR V6 S3 Hybrid

Status
    odd as today its a hotter day and when on low its colder! Not frosty cold, bbrrrrr lol but cooler! Its ok, id prefer frosty lol but I can live with it!!!

Mauritus Blue 3.2 V6 S Line Quattro DSG Xenons Sunroof Leather Sat Nav/Changer/TV/Text W8 & Int Light Pack Dark H/Lining Tints PDC S3 Kit '11 Rears Sachs/Eibachs & more... Build Thread

Interior Next!!

Status
    anyone tried one of them can things, its like what they were using on planes for swine pooo? shall i do that or just get the a/c serviced... its prob come from my car sitting in a garage for 3 months...
    Gone but not forgotten......
    S
    3 - Phantom Black - Black Optics - Most Extras

Mods: Revo Stage 2+ - 18" BBS ch/Michelin PS2 - Recaro OEM Buckets - Milltek TBE NonRes/Sports Cat - Evoms Intake - APR hpfp - H&R Springs/ARBS F&R - Sachs Clutch/Luk DMF - AP Racing 6 Pot BBK - 10mm Spacers - Black Rings
    Mods To Do: Full Retrim - MY11 RNSe - Coilovers- Plenty Carbon

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah's A3 View Post
    You knew what i meant.
    Yep... -I'm just havin' fun!

I do more than those mphs as alot on here know!!! lol
    ...It's one of the main reasons I moved out from Cheshire!

Keef

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by DEC, though Keith the complete idiot screwed up the quoting!!! View Post
    Which of the two air circulation buttons is the one to use to stop hot air being taken from the outside? guessing the Auto one, but not sure as I havent really used those buttons
    Auto-recirculate and recirculate BOTH recirculate in the same way, but auto leaves recirculate OFF most of the time...

'Recirculate' is recirculate full-time, or until you stop the car and remove the key.

Auto recirculate means ONLY recirculate when the hydrocarbon sensor detects fumes being drawn in from outside (EG waiting in line behind a nasty, smelly Diesel schoolbus...)

Good times to use the recirculate button are AFTER the car interior has cooled down a bit, since at first the air in the car is HOTTER than air outside (the 'greenhouse' effect). Recirculating THAT air will make the car much slower to cool, and INCREASE the vent temperatures.

BAD times to use the recirculate button are when there's a lot of humidity in the car, such as having just climbed into the car wearing wet clothes after a summer rain shower... The cars windows fog up MUCH more readily when you use the recirculate.

Keep the fan speed low, and the vents get nice and chill. -If you like, I have a vent temperature probe, and I can easily SHOW how the air warms up significantly when you speed up the fan.

Keith
    Last edited by VWAddict; 30th June 2010 at 20:28.

3rd Gear

Status
    odd ... when on low its colder!
    BINGO!

As I said, it's counter-intuitive, but THIS is how we deal with it here. Running the fan too fast makes the interior noisier, makes the A/C run hotter, and wears things out faster...

...to say nothing about messing up my fabulously-coiffured 'do'!!!

As for "wet-dog" smelling A/C, this happens if the condensate drain gets blocked or obstructed, but ALSO if you turn off the A/C by switching off the fan, or similarly by stopping the car with the A/C running.

What happens is that the condensation on the chilling coil is never dried off, so it just sits there for a long time and pools up, allowing mould and bacteria to multiply... Just like leaving a wet towel in a plastic bag for any length of time. (Which I used to sometimes do when I had swimming class at school, and forgot to take my towel home!)

The way to prevent this is to ALWAYS switch off the A/C using the switch, but LEAVE THE VENTILATION FAN RUNNING. -In this way, the condensation is evaporated into the vehicle cabin. -If you have the A/C on just before you pull in to home for the evening, SWITCH OFF the A/C about a minute before you pull into the driveway, but LEAVE THE VENTILATION FAN RUNNING. That way the water never just sits in a foul, stinky puddle overnight.

It happens on every car with A/C, though some are more susceptible than others, depebding on factors like how high up the coil is, and how well 'aired' (ventilated) it is when the vehicle is parked.

Products abound to treat the mildewew smell, like airsept ( www.airsept.com ) but you don't NEED them if you follow the above guidelines.

Keith

Sharpest Tongue in the West

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by VWAddict View Post
    BINGO!

As I said, it's counter-intuitive, but THIS is how we deal with it here. Running the fan too fast makes the interior noisier, makes the A/C run hotter, and wears things out faster...

...to say nothing about messing up my fabulously-coiffured 'do'!!!

As for "wet-dog" smelling A/C, this happens if the condensate drain gets blocked or obstructed, but ALSO if you turn off the A/C by switching off the fan, or similarly by stopping the car with the A/C running.

What happens is that the condensation on the chilling coil is never dried off, so it just sits there for a long time and pools up, allowing mould and bacteria to multiply... Just like leaving a wet towel in a plastic bag for any length of time. (Which I used to sometimes do when I had swimming class at school, and forgot to take my towel home!)

The way to prevent this is to ALWAYS switch off the A/C using the switch, but LEAVE THE VENTILATION FAN RUNNING. -In this way, the condensation is evaporated into the vehicle cabin. -If you have the A/C on just before you pull in to home for the evening, SWITCH OFF the A/C about a minute before you pull into the driveway, but LEAVE THE VENTILATION FAN RUNNING. That way the water never just sits in a foul, stinky puddle overnight.

It happens on every car with A/C, though some are more susceptible than others, depebding on factors like how high up the coil is, and how well 'aired' (ventilated) it is when the vehicle is parked.

Products abound to treat the mildewew smell, like airsept ( www.airsept.com ) but you don't NEED them if you follow the above guidelines.

Keith
    Cheers Keith, your comments have proved to be a bonus for me, using re-circ and slower fan speed I've noticed an improvement in temps so that'll do me for now.

Porsche Cayman S |Jeep Grand Cherokee|1988 Ford Fiesta XR2

www.essexdriversclub.com

2nd Gear

Status
    just leave mine on auto and use climate control dials to change temp and as said before mines frosty.
    mine must have been re-gassed surely

MODERATOR V6 S3 Hybrid

Status
    Auto-recirculate and recirculate BOTH recirculate in the same way, but auto leaves recirculate OFF most of the time...

'Recirculate' is recirculate full-time, or until you stop the car and remove the key.

Auto recirculate means ONLY recirculate when the hydrocarbon sensor detects fumes being drawn in from outside (EG waiting in line behind a nasty, smelly Diesel schoolbus...)

Good times to use the recirculate button are AFTER the car interior has cooled down a bit, since at first the air in the car is HOTTER than air outside (the 'greenhouse' effect). Recirculating THAT air will make the car much slower to cool, and INCREASE the vent temperatures.

BAD times to use the recirculate button are when there's a lot of humidity in the car, such as having just climbed into the car wearing wet clothes after a summer rain shower... The cars windows fog up MUCH more readily when you use the recirculate.

Keep the fan speed low, and the vents get nice and chill. -If you like, I have a vent temperature probe, and I can easily SHOW how the air warms up significantly when you speed up the fan.

Keith

OI !!! I DIDNT ask the question !!!!! Dec did!!! See Thread #33!!!!!!

I know what all the buttons are!!!!!!

Mauritus Blue 3.2 V6 S Line Quattro DSG Xenons Sunroof Leather Sat Nav/Changer/TV/Text W8 & Int Light Pack Dark H/Lining Tints PDC S3 Kit '11 Rears Sachs/Eibachs & more... Build Thread

MODERATOR V6 S3 Hybrid

Status
    VW Addict will you stop mis quoting me!

You may know a few things which is good to share but Stop arsin with me!

3rd Gear

Status
    Apologies, but I was replying to two points in one post.

There's no mockery, no insult, no offence or anything of the sort intended.

Keith
    Last edited by VWAddict; 30th June 2010 at 20:25.

3rd Gear

Status
    OI !!! I DIDNT ask the question !!!!! Dec did!!! See Thread #33!!!!!!

I know what all the buttons are!!!!!!
    Ah!

Okay, I HAVE to apologise for that one, since it is the result of an IDIOT mistake on my part.

I multi-quoted a post (using the "add quote" buttons) and INTENDED to delete the inappropriate bits, but due to me being a complete DUMBASS, I ended up making it look like Sarah had written something which she didn't.

PUBLIC APOLOGY.

Grovel...

Simper...

Self-flagellate...

Beg...

Sorry.

-Stating for the record, I most CERTAINLY didn't wish to make her look in any way foolish, I have NO problem with her at all, and enjoy her contributions to this site very much.

...If necessary, I offer to take my own life in the most disgusting manner imaginable by way of pennance for my sins.

Sorry about that, Sarah... And thanks for bringing it to my attention.

I'll go back and edit the post now to correct for this clumsiness.

Keith

MODERATOR V6 S3 Hybrid

Status
    Lol, think that might just cover it!

I may be blonde but not daft! honest.

Cheers Keith and back to the original thread!

We're all friends on here so I forgive you lol

3rd Gear

Status

Keith

MODERATOR V6 S3 Hybrid

Status

Dec
    2nd Gear

Status
    Sorry for all the hoo-ha guys! Im the dumbass for asking such a silly question :P

I sometimes get that horrible smell (I would refer to it as cats piss rather than wet dog ) and that seems to be cleared up now. I sometimes leave the aircon button off for quite a long period (around a week, but thats 450-550 miles for me) or turn the whole unit off sometimes and it seems to occur after I do this.

I'm a dirty one (smoker) so have the windows open, and tend to turn off the aircon when the windows are down, not sure if this affects anything or not though.

Thanks VWAddict for the help, and sorry Sarah for you taking the blame for my stupidness :P

'04 A3 2.0 TDI.

Sharpest Tongue in the West

Status
    goofs all of ya!
    Porsche Cayman S |Jeep Grand Cherokee|1988 Ford Fiesta XR2

www.essexdriversclub.com

MODERATOR V6 S3 Hybrid

Status
    lol, its all cool! Oi ! Beanoir! we're good goofs though haa haa

Dec
    2nd Gear

Status
    lol, its all cool! Oi ! Beanoir! we're good goofs though haa haa
    Or not all that cool? (in line with this thread ) I'll get my coat..

'04 A3 2.0 TDI.

1st Gear

Status

Keith
    I tested this on Friday afternoon using an internal/external thermometer with an external probe that I stuck into one of the face-level vents just just above the radio/CD player. The coldest temperature I recorded was 7.1C. This was with climate control temperature setting on LO, a fan speed setting of 6 or 7 (of 12, set manually), and the button pressed to direct air out of the face level vents only. Using the max. fan speed and/or using the AUTO setting of the climate control gave a temperature of about about 9C. TBH, I'm not that impressed with the 7.1C degrees, aircon should be able to produce air cooled to below 5C, and do that regardless of the fan speed and vent selection.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12