Monster MotorsportEM Tuning
    1st Gear

Status

Quick RNS-E install question

Where did you guys put the GPS aerial? And what did you stick it on with.

TIA

2. # ADS
    ADS

R8GGA

Status
    On my current car, I stuck it under the dash, on top of the unit itself. It works OK but gets a ****ty signal in built up areas or when the weather's bad. On my previous car, I stuck the aerial at the bottom of the windscreen on the dash, right in the corner of the passenger's side. Never had an issue with reception in that position; but it was visible so didn't look OEM.
    awesome cars; both gone now though
    2004 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro S-Line DSG inAvus Silver, RNS-E Sat Nav, GSM, 18" RS4's, Bose, Tints
    2008 S3 3Dr, GIAC HAMMER, Phantom Black, RNS-E Sat Nav, GSM, FBMFSW, Optics, Privacy, Ipod, Rear Sensors, Armrest
    Weekend / Summer:
    2002 Ferrari 360 Modena, Nurburgring Silver, Bordeaux leather
    2006 BMW M6

1st Gear

Status
    One place to stick it is on top of the glovebox which some people need to remove anyhow if they are going single DIN to doubke DIN.

I did this and it gets ok reception.

Mine came with a small adhesive pad on the bottom. Double sided tape should be ok. Make sure you secure the excess cable lengths that most aerials come with else it will rattle around like a proverbial female dog

Alternatively you could go OEM and run a cable up through the headliner and use a 'shark fin' aerial on the roof.

Gievf Buckets

Status
    i ran mine up the pillar its magetic and is stuck behind the headlining never have issues with reception least ive had was 3 satellites

2007 S3 PhantomSchwartz

Spec | Auto Lights | Black Headlining | RNS-E with 6 CD Changer | Phone Prep | Facelift Tails | MFSW | Cruise | Bluetooth | Adaptive Bi-xenon Headlights |

Mods
    | MY10 Facelift | 75% LED's | Sepang Bronze Facelift Alloys

Plans | LED 3dr tails | BBK Setup | Some BBS | Custom TBE |

Quote Originally Posted by N8
    Yes, but they are OEM Phaeton Helios alloy wheels, not cheap ****e aftermarket piles of poop.

3rd Gear

Status

Quick RNS-E install question

I placed mine behind the dash clocks, using self adhesive Velcro pads. Works a treat and never have less than 6-7 satelites
    Audi TT - 2.0TFSI - Ibis White

1st Gear

Status
    Thanks for the replies, just 1 more question..I've got the unit fitted it & luckily didn't need coding. I've got a multi-function steering wheel and the mode button doesn't seem to work? Is it meant to and if so will it need coding? Cheers

3rd Gear

Status
    Do the other buttons , like volume etc work? If so then you are ok.

Without Bluetooth the mode button does absolutely nothing
    FOR SALE:

RNS-e 2013 DVD, BK Version, NOT unit, DVD disc

Steering ECU : 1k0 953 549 AH, ideal for Cruise Control retrofit

6th Gear

Status
    It will need coding, as you won't be getting nav instructions to your DIS.
    MY15 8V S3 Sportback with options

1st Gear

Status
    All other buttons work and the info is on the DIS, street name and directions. So the mode button is for the bluetooth, might get that fitted next month. I've bought a SD HD card 4gb from Morrisons. I've put some tracks on but it just says that it's loading and after a while it says the slot is empty. What sort of cards do you guys use?

Boycie

Status
    I think BBSBOY on here wired his antenna up to the interior lighting and positioned it in there for optimum reception

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Just fit it just in front of the passenger airbag module above the glovebox, its very thin dash there & gets great reception, double sided tape & as long as you check the airbag path, it shouldnt interfere with airbag if ever is triggered.

Personally I fit sharkfins on the roofs of my cars & others if they want, strangely it does actually make the car look better IMHO, did my missus SB this weekend & looks great, just gotta run extension cable to rns now.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

MODERATOR V6 S3 Hybrid

Status
    What a busy weekend you had Nige!!!!!!

Mauritus Blue 3.2 V6 S Line Quattro DSG Xenons Sunroof Leather Sat Nav/Changer/TV/Text W8 & Int Light Pack Dark H/Lining Tints PDC S3 Kit '11 Rears Sachs/Eibachs & more... Build Thread

3rd Gear

Status
    As for the SD card question, Make SURE you didn't get SDHC (High capacity) as these don't work.

You need REGULAR SD, which USUALLY don't go above 2GB. There are a FEW out there which are 4GB regular SD, but if your card says SDHC on it, then it won't work.

I put my antenna behind the instrument cluster, and never have ANY reception issues whatsoever. I also have the sharkfin in case I feel like running an extension... Maybe one day I will...

Keith

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah's A3 View Post
    What a busy weekend you had Nige!!!!!!
    More like didnt, would help if I remembered the poxy locking nut socket so me & wheelie could upgrade the missus SB suspension & brakes, but alas, was fun, drunk loads & tanned to the hills, lol

PS. Havnt forgotten the thread dont worry lass @)

Gievf Buckets

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by NHN View Post
    Just fit it just in front of the passenger airbag module above the glovebox, its very thin dash there & gets great reception, double sided tape & as long as you check the airbag path, it shouldnt interfere with airbag if ever is triggered.

Personally I fit sharkfins on the roofs of my cars & others if they want, strangely it does actually make the car look better IMHO, did my missus SB this weekend & looks great, just gotta run extension cable to rns now.
    listen to the man sharkfins are where its at, id have done one had the parts on order etc from audi, cancelled em when i bought the s

2007 S3 PhantomSchwartz

Spec | Auto Lights | Black Headlining | RNS-E with 6 CD Changer | Phone Prep | Facelift Tails | MFSW | Cruise | Bluetooth | Adaptive Bi-xenon Headlights |

Mods

Yes, but they are OEM Phaeton Helios alloy wheels, not cheap ****e aftermarket piles of poop.

3rd Gear

Status
    I would love to have a sharkfin too but im kinda worried drilling holes on the top of my car :S
    FOR SALE:

RNS-e 2013 DVD, BK Version, NOT unit, DVD disc

Steering ECU : 1k0 953 549 AH, ideal for Cruise Control retrofit

Gievf Buckets

Status
    its not a big deal tbh just mark it all off with tape centre it etc, pilot drill

2007 S3 PhantomSchwartz

Mods

MODERATOR V6 S3 Hybrid

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by NHN View Post
    More like didnt, would help if I remembered the poxy locking nut socket so me & wheelie could upgrade the missus SB suspension & brakes, but alas, was fun, drunk loads & tanned to the hills, lol

PS. Havnt forgotten the thread dont worry lass @)
    yeh! but you had a laugh thats the main thing!!! And some fun with a seat or two and a neighbour lol!!!

lol, dont forget could be fun and put it to bed once and for all!!!!

Mauritus Blue 3.2 V6 S Line Quattro DSG Xenons Sunroof Leather Sat Nav/Changer/TV/Text W8 & Int Light Pack Dark H/Lining Tints PDC S3 Kit '11 Rears Sachs/Eibachs & more... Build Thread

1st Gear

Status
    Went & bought the SDHC card! Should have come to you guys first. Anyway thanks for the help

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah's A3 View Post
    yeh! but you had a laugh thats the main thing!!! And some fun with a seat or two and a neighbour lol!!!
    Yeah was ok, poxy seat , Jase & toolsets dont go, lol.