car shaking

mooey

Reaction score
I have got a 2006 A3, 170bhp 2.0 tdi. When it reaches around 50 it starts to shake, not a steering wheel shake more through the hole body. It carry's on till around 65-70 then disappears. If you drive straight through it it's not too bad, but if your'e sat doing say 55-60 mph its very bad. It's there no matter what gear the car is in.k Any help much appreciated. Mooey

I Had that done its a lot worse than a wheel ballance issue mooey

does it do it when coasting at this speed or only under acceleration?

No when accelerating in ok its just when you are driving at a set speed ie in a line of trafic

Mooey, could be several things wrong.
1 - Did you balance all 4? as hi speed wobble always comes from rear wheels.
2 - It could also be a tyre has bulged or gone out of shape, (common problem at my tyre centre with all the potholes about)
3 - have you had them (dynamic balanced? weights mounted on 2 planes from rear of wheel and behind spokes and back edge_ this is the most accurate method), or (static balance - one set of weights mounted just on inside back edge only - no were near as accurate, but used my many tyre centres as it easer, quicker and uses less weight)

hope this helps, let me know.

philip

Ive just had thought from you said about tyers the car done 102,000 and is making a humming nose wich i thought was a wheel bearing jacked it up no play enywhere maybe its linked mooey

yes it sound like its defiantly a rear tyre problem, its ether worn on the inside edge down to canvas and has delaminated. or its worn "steppy of corrugated " on the rear inside edges, the noise sounds like wheel bearing has gone when it hasn't. you find this a lot with front wheel drive cars also most common if drecional tyres fitted.

Philip

No its not a quattro ,and can i spot if its got a tye problem by looking mooey

best thing to do is remove the rear wheels and see if there's any visable damage, if nothing is visable then try swapping tyres front - back

it deffinately sounds like misbalancing of the wheels, bad tyres or a warped alloy, possibly i steering rack though i doubt that one

Had exactly the same problem ! I needed four new tyres anyway , and when i changed them the problem went away .

Hate to say this but mate had this on his golf. it was the drive shaft.

Have a look at all your tyres, as I had a similar issue on my Caddy van, it turned out to be one of the rears tyres was worn bare in one part.

Well thanx lads i will try the tyers and let you mooey ps breaking a mk1 golf soon if anyone needs bits

I had someting similar in a van i had once. Took months to resolve. It was a slight bulge on the inside of a rear tyre. Was only spotted with tyre off the van.

I couldn't see it when looking as the bulge was probably at the top. When it was at the bottom it looked normal as all tyres bulge at the bottom!

You can only spot it with the tyres off. Probably a good thing to do in your case and then swap them round too.