AH FabricationsVolks Autos
    Neutral

Status

Upgrading symphony head unit

Hi, i have an 06 A3 and it has the symphony 6 disc changer head unit with tape deck but im looking to change it to the newer head units without the tape deck just til i can afford a RNS-E, can anyone help me with the wiring cos they are different size fittings on the back? cheers

2. # ADS
    ADS

2nd Gear

Status
    I did the same last month, a big improvement on looks
    you'll need a fakra adapter which converts the harness from ISO to the bigger multiplug, an aerial adapter and to get the proper reception you'll need to swap the 2 aerial amps inside the tailgate
    2.0 TDi 140 S-Line With - S3 Vents l S3 Alloy Pedals l S3 Gearknob I Aero Rear Wiper l X-Treme Bulbs l 09 Rear Lights l Custom Floormats l 18" TTS reps l LCR Splitter I Facelift Stereo

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by robby View Post
    you'll need a fakra adapter which converts the harness from ISO to the bigger multiplug,
    That's not a FAKRA adaptor, that's a QUADLOCK adaptor. -The FAKRA adaptor is what you'll need for the antenna.

As mentioned, you should indeed also replace the two antenna boosters in the rear hatch (one above the hatch window, one below) and extend one of the fakra connections in there. -The two use very different diversity detection (switched diversity versus phase diversity) and if you don't replace the antenna boosters it MAY be fine (likely if you live in a region with lots of signal strength), but you'll likely be using only one antenna instead of two.

But other than that, (and you can try it and see before you make the decision) the above info is correct.

Keith

3rd Gear

Status
    By the way... if you find someone who is moving from Concert 2+ to RNS-E, you can swap antenna boosters with them. -Then you'll BOTH get proper reception.

Keith

Neutral

Status
    Thanks, do you know where i can get the adaptors from and roughly how much they cost?

3rd Gear

Status
    Kufatec?

UK price unknown (I'm in dollar-land here)

Keith

Neutral

Status
    Does anyone know about these quadlock adatptors i need to upgrade my headunit? also i have the audi bt phone setup will i need adaptors for this or should it be ok? thanks