whats your thoughts on this s line?

CAT D?
it would have had to had a fairly bad crash to get a CAT D for a 4yr old car at 60k milage as it was last year...

i would try and find out more info on how it became a CAT D first before going any further.
Plus find out how much the insurance would be as a CAT D can push it up a bit

otherwise not a bad looking car.

thanks for the reply i dont think cat D does affect the insurance has a friend of mine has had a few of them in the past, i will message the seller and ask few questions what you think on price is it average or what? everyone i seem to find that year is like £12,000 so seems fair. all help appreciated thanks.

well for a price comparison i have a 2006 - 06 plate with 44k, same spec but manual - i paid £11500 4 months ago from a VW dealer and its trade in value now is £10k

I think the red 1 looks nice but its not worth the money being cat D

well what you recon is a decnt price and i know this isnt much but was dsg a £1,000 extra from factory maybe thats why its thatmuch? or something and this is not a trade in car its private sale so always pay more dont you. thanks for replies

I'd try to avoid it. I made the mistake of buying a cat D & if your the sort of guy that little problems can annoy you then I'd avoid it. The problems kept racking up bills and in the end I was more or less spending the same amount but also wasting my time! As said, being a cat D at that age it must have been more than cosmetic.

it could just have been vandalised and needed a full respray?
you'll also have to think about when you come to sell/ trade it in, most garages wont touch anything on the hpi register as they wont sell them on their forecourt, a lot of private buyers (as seen on here) wont touch them either so you'll struggle to pass it on or take a huge loss

there is a section on the insurance forms asking if the car has been a loss or in an accident so i guess this would effect the premium?

If it was me i would not touch it to be honest. Will just be a hassle to insure, hassle to sell on etc. Not worth the grief IMO.

Never understood why vendors think their Cat Ds/Cs are worth so much.
Doesnt necessary make them bad cars (if properly repaired), the price just needs to be realistic.

A Cat D would have to be around 60% of the price of a straight car for it to be worth a punt IMO.
Mainly because that all the Insurance compant will give you for it if its stolen and/or written off (again). Insurance companies simply dont like paying out twice on the same car.

Imagine this scenario:

A `proper` car is £11K
A Cat D is £9k

You buy the Cat D to `save` 2K and because it looks tidy and hasa decent spec.

2 weeks later you are rear ended at the lights by a WAG in a Range Rover putting her lipstick on.

The insurance company offer you £6.5K.:scared2:
How would that make you feel?

Its hard enough getting these outfits to pay out on a proper car (thats from bitter experience) never mind a Cat D.

Food for thought.

Good luck

Paul

i dont see the problem with cat d's, if its been on the road for nearly a year then everything must be fine, also down to insurance my friend with the cat d write off got a full pay out on his car for what a straight car was worth so thats all good. would it be worth 8k if he would accept?

i dont see the problem with cat d's, if its been on the road for nearly a year then everything must be fine, also down to insurance my friend with the cat d write off got a full pay out on his car for what a straight car was worth so thats all good. would it be worth 8k if he would accept?

Sounds like you have already bought the car (in your head) regardless of the advice given on here...

I also wouldn't touch it. As the examples above show, you can get a better specced and HPI clear car for about £1.5k more, but the key thing is the car will be more sellable and worth more 2 or three years down the line.

alright my 2 cents

as people dont seem to understand catagories and values here we go
Cat d is a light damaged vehicle to the point that it doesnt require an inspection prior to going back on the road
cat c is a heavier damaged vehicle, which always requires inspection before being deemed fit for road use

keep in mind that cars can be catagoried if they have driven through "contaminated water" or if the engine has been driven without oil and has siezed it doesnt always mean the car has been in an accident. and in the case of accidents if a car is cat d or c it means that the main chassis has not yielded therefore can be worked back and it will still have the same strength.

Cat x is stolen recovered
and cat b is breaker, damaged to the point of no return ie the chassis has yielded

for cat c d and x the market value in the trade sector is 2/3 of book price, in the private market its a little less, i personally have had 3/5 of my cars have been catagoried and i wouldnt think twice about hopping in them again.

to sum up, that car is priced far to high for it being catagoried and such high milage

I looked at buying back my written off Corrado a few years back and the insurance Co. were quite clear that full market value would definately not be paid out a second time. Which is Ok if its the cars is cheap anyway at around 60% of straight car.

Good luck
Paul

Thats mostly correct P5 SND, but category 'X' is actually unrecorded.

Stolen/recovered are usually category D listed after an insurance payout.

Also, the chassis can (and usually does) have damage on category C. Just not to the extent that the car is not economical to repair at all.

pretty sure youre wong on the cat x as it appears ona full hpi i think suppose it will depend on circomstances, as for the chassis damage in cat c on replacable panels yes but on the actual frame it should be a cat b

I agree people still think of write offs as cut and shuts etc rather than reading into it,a lot we have had wrote off at work are normally as above flood damage,cars where the customer has been paid out and car has been found,engine damage beyond econimical repair which isnt much if they car has had a light front end bump but knackered the sump so the insurance think,panel time,paint time,parts,labour,paint costs plus the worry of the car bouncing back because maybe engine damage not seen with in a space of time
l

they are worthwhile doing if the time is your own, ive fully documented the repair and the samage on my s3 people know me and my cars in the area too so i wont have the slightest bit of bother come sale time, last car sold in 2 days

9K is too much for a Cat D!

That should be 6500-7k max There are plenty of straight ones about for 9k thats for sure! Wanna buy mine? lol

Last edited:
thats about right for a cat 'd' maybe £500 above price but depends what the car has got,as said cat 'D' nothing wrong with the car £1200 with in price of a straight one,but unless you buy new you dont know if yours is unregistered