JMB RetrofitsChris Nott
    Reverse Gear

Status

whats your thoughts on this s line?

hi guys my names andrew and 21 from leeds.
    just sold my beloved s3 after fiancial difficulties and now after an a3 s line seen this on pistonheads and wondered what you guys thought on this, all help apprecited.
    http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/1808752.htm

2. # ADS
    ADS

Audi Retrofitter

Status
    North, East, South, West London & Dartford in Kent

My Social Networking

Visit Ash187's Instagram Channel
    CAT D?
    it would have had to had a fairly bad crash to get a CAT D for a 4yr old car at 60k milage as it was last year...

i would try and find out more info on how it became a CAT D first before going any further.
    Plus find out how much the insurance would be as a CAT D can push it up a bit

otherwise not a bad looking car.
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI
    Dark Headlining, Bose, Alcantara Leather, Interior Lights Pack

MODS:
    S3 facelift,
    RS3 Grill, 19" RS6, TTRS FBMFSW, A5 S-Line Heated Seats, Bi-Xenons, Auto Lights & Wipers, Eibach Sportlines, Auto Folding & Dimming Dumbo Mirrors, S3 brakes, US Centre Console, Cruise, Pioneer HU, Reverse Camera, OEM Parking Sensors, LED Tail Lights, S3 Pedals, Tints, Carbon Trims.

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Add N8 on Facebook Visit N8's Instagram Channel
    Previous owner from here?

Reverse Gear

Status
    thanks for the reply i dont think cat D does affect the insurance has a friend of mine has had a few of them in the past, i will message the seller and ask few questions what you think on price is it average or what? everyone i seem to find that year is like 12,000 so seems fair. all help appreciated thanks.

2nd Gear

Status
    well for a price comparison i have a 2006 - 06 plate with 44k, same spec but manual - i paid 11500 4 months ago from a VW dealer and its trade in value now is 10k

I think the red 1 looks nice but its not worth the money being cat D
    2.0 TDi 140 S-Line With - S3 Vents l S3 Alloy Pedals l S3 Gearknob I Aero Rear Wiper l X-Treme Bulbs l 09 Rear Lights l Custom Floormats l 18" TTS reps l LCR Splitter I Facelift Stereo

Reverse Gear

Status
    well what you recon is a decnt price and i know this isnt much but was dsg a 1,000 extra from factory maybe thats why its thatmuch? or something and this is not a trade in car its private sale so always pay more dont you. thanks for replies

2nd Gear

Status
    2.0 TDi 140 S-Line With - S3 Vents l S3 Alloy Pedals l S3 Gearknob I Aero Rear Wiper l X-Treme Bulbs l 09 Rear Lights l Custom Floormats l 18" TTS reps l LCR Splitter I Facelift Stereo

1st Gear

Status
    I'd try to avoid it. I made the mistake of buying a cat D & if your the sort of guy that little problems can annoy you then I'd avoid it. The problems kept racking up bills and in the end I was more or less spending the same amount but also wasting my time! As said, being a cat D at that age it must have been more than cosmetic.

2nd Gear

Status
    it could just have been vandalised and needed a full respray?
    you'll also have to think about when you come to sell/ trade it in, most garages wont touch anything on the hpi register as they wont sell them on their forecourt, a lot of private buyers (as seen on here) wont touch them either so you'll struggle to pass it on or take a huge loss

there is a section on the insurance forms asking if the car has been a loss or in an accident so i guess this would effect the premium?

2nd Gear

Status
    If it was me i would not touch it to be honest. Will just be a hassle to insure, hassle to sell on etc. Not worth the grief IMO.
    Porsche 996TT
    A3 Sportback, 2.0 TDI, 170bhp S-Tronic
    S3 SB BE, Suzuka Grey -Sold

S3 (8P)

Status
    Never understood why vendors think their Cat Ds/Cs are worth so much.
    Doesnt necessary make them bad cars (if properly repaired), the price just needs to be realistic.

A Cat D would have to be around 60% of the price of a straight car for it to be worth a punt IMO.
    Mainly because that all the Insurance compant will give you for it if its stolen and/or written off (again). Insurance companies simply dont like paying out twice on the same car.

Imagine this scenario:

A `proper` car is 11K
    A Cat D is 9k

You buy the Cat D to `save` 2K and because it looks tidy and hasa decent spec.

2 weeks later you are rear ended at the lights by a WAG in a Range Rover putting her lipstick on.

The insurance company offer you 6.5K.
    How would that make you feel?

Its hard enough getting these outfits to pay out on a proper car (thats from bitter experience) never mind a Cat D.

Food for thought.

Good luck

Paul
    Now:
    -MK2 Golf Gti 16V/VR6, Oak Green, Shrick, Intake, Decat, Kish Retrim, Lenso BSX..
    -BMW 335d Xdrive, Estoril Blue, fully loaded.

Before:
    S3 (8P), Ibis, DSG, Milltek, SHARK

BMW 320d M Sport
    S3 (8P), Sprint, REVO, H&R Springs, BBS CHs,

Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - REVO Stage1, Red.
    Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - Std, Shadow Blue
    Civic Type `R`
    Golf MK4 GTi 18T - 200bhp, MTM ECU, Forge DV
    Golf MK3 VR6 - Cat Back
    Corrado VR6 - JAMEX
    Corrado G60 - JAMEX, BRM Charger rebuild
    etc....

Reverse Gear

Status
    i dont see the problem with cat d's, if its been on the road for nearly a year then everything must be fine, also down to insurance my friend with the cat d write off got a full pay out on his car for what a straight car was worth so thats all good. would it be worth 8k if he would accept?

Audi Heaven

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by audi _s3_09 View Post
    i dont see the problem with cat d's, if its been on the road for nearly a year then everything must be fine, also down to insurance my friend with the cat d write off got a full pay out on his car for what a straight car was worth so thats all good. would it be worth 8k if he would accept?
    Sounds like you have already bought the car (in your head) regardless of the advice given on here...

I also wouldn't touch it. As the examples above show, you can get a better specced and HPI clear car for about 1.5k more, but the key thing is the car will be more sellable and worth more 2 or three years down the line.
    Scott

Audi A3 Sportback 2.0T Quattro S-Line 2007 8P2
    Lava Grey, Exclusive Line Black/Silver Leather, Heated Seats, Bose, RNS-e, iPod, Auto Lights & Wipers, Interior Light Pack

Gievf Buckets

Status
    alright my 2 cents

as people dont seem to understand catagories and values here we go
    Cat d is a light damaged vehicle to the point that it doesnt require an inspection prior to going back on the road
    cat c is a heavier damaged vehicle, which always requires inspection before being deemed fit for road use

keep in mind that cars can be catagoried if they have driven through "contaminated water" or if the engine has been driven without oil and has siezed it doesnt always mean the car has been in an accident. and in the case of accidents if a car is cat d or c it means that the main chassis has not yielded therefore can be worked back and it will still have the same strength.

Cat x is stolen recovered
    and cat b is breaker, damaged to the point of no return ie the chassis has yielded

for cat c d and x the market value in the trade sector is 2/3 of book price, in the private market its a little less, i personally have had 3/5 of my cars have been catagoried and i wouldnt think twice about hopping in them again.

to sum up, that car is priced far to high for it being catagoried and such high milage

2007 S3 PhantomSchwartz

Spec | Auto Lights | Black Headlining | RNS-E with 6 CD Changer | Phone Prep | Facelift Tails | MFSW | Cruise | Bluetooth | Adaptive Bi-xenon Headlights |

Mods
    | MY10 Facelift | 75% LED's | Sepang Bronze Facelift Alloys

Plans | LED 3dr tails | BBK Setup | Some BBS | Custom TBE |

Quote Originally Posted by N8
    Yes, but they are OEM Phaeton Helios alloy wheels, not cheap ****e aftermarket piles of poop.

S3 (8P)

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by audi _s3_09 View Post
    I looked at buying back my written off Corrado a few years back and the insurance Co. were quite clear that full market value would definately not be paid out a second time. Which is Ok if its the cars is cheap anyway at around 60% of straight car.

Good luck
    Paul
    Now:
    -MK2 Golf Gti 16V/VR6, Oak Green, Shrick, Intake, Decat, Kish Retrim, Lenso BSX..
    -BMW 335d Xdrive, Estoril Blue, fully loaded.

Before:
    S3 (8P), Ibis, DSG, Milltek, SHARK

BMW 320d M Sport
    S3 (8P), Sprint, REVO, H&R Springs, BBS CHs,

Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - REVO Stage1, Red.
    Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - Std, Shadow Blue
    Civic Type `R`
    Golf MK4 GTi 18T - 200bhp, MTM ECU, Forge DV
    Golf MK3 VR6 - Cat Back
    Corrado VR6 - JAMEX
    Corrado G60 - JAMEX, BRM Charger rebuild
    etc....

2nd Gear

Status
    Thats mostly correct P5 SND, but category 'X' is actually unrecorded.

Stolen/recovered are usually category D listed after an insurance payout.

Also, the chassis can (and usually does) have damage on category C. Just not to the extent that the car is not economical to repair at all.

Gievf Buckets

Status
    pretty sure youre wong on the cat x as it appears ona full hpi i think suppose it will depend on circomstances, as for the chassis damage in cat c on replacable panels yes but on the actual frame it should be a cat b

2007 S3 PhantomSchwartz

Spec | Auto Lights | Black Headlining | RNS-E with 6 CD Changer | Phone Prep | Facelift Tails | MFSW | Cruise | Bluetooth | Adaptive Bi-xenon Headlights |

Mods

Yes, but they are OEM Phaeton Helios alloy wheels, not cheap ****e aftermarket piles of poop.

2nd Gear

Status
    I agree people still think of write offs as cut and shuts etc rather than reading into it,a lot we have had wrote off at work are normally as above flood damage,cars where the customer has been paid out and car has been found,engine damage beyond econimical repair which isnt much if they car has had a light front end bump but knackered the sump so the insurance think,panel time,paint time,parts,labour,paint costs plus the worry of the car bouncing back because maybe engine damage not seen with in a space of time
    l

Gievf Buckets

Status
    they are worthwhile doing if the time is your own, ive fully documented the repair and the samage on my s3 people know me and my cars in the area too so i wont have the slightest bit of bother come sale time, last car sold in 2 days

2007 S3 PhantomSchwartz

Mods

6th Gear

Status
    9K is too much for a Cat D!

That should be 6500-7k max There are plenty of straight ones about for 9k thats for sure! Wanna buy mine? lol
    Last edited by Lee_R; 22nd June 2010 at 18:39.
    B6 1.8T Avant s line gmbh

2nd Gear

Status
    thats about right for a cat 'd' maybe 500 above price but depends what the car has got,as said cat 'D' nothing wrong with the car 1200 with in price of a straight one,but unless you buy new you dont know if yours is unregistered