Chris NottMonster Motorsport
    TAC
    3.2 V6 Burble... hmmmmmmm

Status

Tyre Choices for my 3.2 A3 advice needed

Right, I need 4 new tyre as mine are all on the limit, I am currently running Conti Sports 3 225/40/r18 92v.

I've been looking around and looking at peoples advice on here the Contis seem of but have seen some talk about the Goodyear asymmetric f1s as a preferred choice. Looking at prices I have found the following:

4xConti sport 3 for 469.52
    4x Good year asymmetric for 507.60

Now my dilemma is it worth paying the premium for these or is a slightly more budget tyre like a KUMHO KU31 for 373.64 or Falken FK452 for 316.06 worth the saving, will I notice much of a performance dip or quality.
    Ideally want a tyre that is good in wet and dry Know the Bridgestone RE050A is useless in the wet so not even considering that one!

Your thoughts and advice would be great and if you know of any good suppliers in and around the Berkshire area that would be great?

Thanks
    Tom
    Current - A3 3.2 DSG S-Line
    Gone but not forgotten Honda S2000 GT K&N FPIK (F***ing lairy in the wet but so so much fun...)- Golf MK3 GTI 16v -Mondeo V6 24v

FOR SALE - Indicator stalk and lower steering wheel cowling
    A3 3DR pair of rear lights in A1 condition from my 06 A3

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    Hi,

I have always used Falken FK452s, will be getting these again when my tyres need changing (currently running some budget crap as they were newish when i purchased the car).

FK452s have always performed well in both the wet and dry on the road, some say that they are noisy but I am yet to experience this.

I suppose it all depends on if the car is soley for road use or you are planning some track days but for road use only Falken FK452s get my vote!

5th Gear

Status
    Mines had 2 sets of Goodyears now after I finished off the Contis.

Goodyear Assys get the vote for me

S3 (8P)

Status
    My GY assy F1s lasted a very respectable 15K miles and performed pretty much consistently throughout their lifespan with no obvious deterioration in performance.
    507 for 4 is a good price too.
    I fitted 2 at the weekend which cost me 125 ea.

On a performance car I wouldnt cut corners on rubber. Cant help but think that budget tyres are budget tyres for a reason.
    That doesnt make them bad tyres, just not as good as premium tyres.
    The difference in price between GY and the cheapest option, Falken, works out about the price of pint of beer each month over the life of the tyres. So nowt really.
    With 250+bhp & 4wd i would want the best tyres available between me and the road

my 2p
    Good luck

Paul
    Now:
    -MK2 Golf Gti 16V/VR6, Oak Green, Shrick, Intake, Decat, Kish Retrim, Lenso BSX..
    -BMW 335d Xdrive, Estoril Blue, fully loaded.

Before:
    S3 (8P), Ibis, DSG, Milltek, SHARK

BMW 320d M Sport
    S3 (8P), Sprint, REVO, H&R Springs, BBS CHs,

Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - REVO Stage1, Red.
    Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - Std, Shadow Blue
    Civic Type `R`
    Golf MK4 GTi 18T - 200bhp, MTM ECU, Forge DV
    Golf MK3 VR6 - Cat Back
    Corrado VR6 - JAMEX
    Corrado G60 - JAMEX, BRM Charger rebuild
    etc....

TAC

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by clem2192 View Post
    Hi,

I have always used Falken FK452s, will be getting these again when my tyres need changing (currently running some budget crap as they were newish when i purchased the car).

FK452s have always performed well in both the wet and dry on the road, some say that they are noisy but I am yet to experience this.

I suppose it all depends on if the car is soley for road use or you are planning some track days but for road use only Falken FK452s get my vote!
    Just out of interest, what millage did you get out of the falkens and What car have you got do you have the 3.2Q? As wondered how these perform with the 4wd and heavier lump up front?
    Gone but not forgotten Honda S2000 GT K&N FPIK (F***ing lairy in the wet but so so much fun...)- Golf MK3 GTI 16v -Mondeo V6 24v

1st Gear

Status
    The Falkens were one my old Golf MK4 1.8T, and MK1 GTI but couldn't tell you the mileage I got out of them I am afraid.

I have always been happy with performance and tyre life so thought these would be a good choice for the 3.2 when I swap.

3rd Gear

Status
    Not arguing with Clem everyone has there own opinion but i found falkens to be poor,i havnt had them on the quattro but had them on two other cars and i thought they ruined the handling then replaced them with verdesteins which i also thought were poor and wore well too quick for my cars use at the time,like i said not trying to wind anyone up but i am also after some for mine around now and have also asked opinions but as i say everyone is each to there own and most are happy with there purchase apart from the odd couple,i have always tried to go the conti sc2 or goodyear sp sport route but there mega expensive at the min but i find conti sc3's are not as good as the 2's

Phantom Black S3,Giac stg 1,Evoms intake,Lamin-x
    (to do list,update signature pic)

TAC

Status
    Just found a site where you can get 4 Goodyear asymmetric for 437.50!!!! Or the budget Faulkens for 271.96!!!

www.camskill.co.uk

Worth a butchers
    Tom

S3 (8P)

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by TAC View Post
    Just found a site where you can get 4 Goodyear asymmetric for 437.50!!!! Or the budget Faulkens for 271.96!!!

www.camskill.co.uk

Worth a butchers
    Tom
    Very cheap, I looked at these guys too.
    However fitting/balance/valve will be 15-20 per corner.

Even at 15 (cheapest I was quoted) means you only really save a tenner for the hassle.

Good luck.
    Paul
    Now:
    -MK2 Golf Gti 16V/VR6, Oak Green, Shrick, Intake, Decat, Kish Retrim, Lenso BSX..
    -BMW 335d Xdrive, Estoril Blue, fully loaded.

Before:
    S3 (8P), Ibis, DSG, Milltek, SHARK

BMW 320d M Sport
    S3 (8P), Sprint, REVO, H&R Springs, BBS CHs,

Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - REVO Stage1, Red.
    Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - Std, Shadow Blue
    Civic Type `R`
    Golf MK4 GTi 18T - 200bhp, MTM ECU, Forge DV
    Golf MK3 VR6 - Cat Back
    Corrado VR6 - JAMEX
    Corrado G60 - JAMEX, BRM Charger rebuild
    etc....

5th Gear

Status
    I always get mine from Camskills. You can get tyres changed for less that 15 a tyre!

2nd Gear

Status
    i will be fitting pilot sport 3's they have been getting great reviews

1st Gear

Status
    Goodyears will wear quickly mate, they are super soft but super grippy! I've got the vredestein ultrac sessanta's and they're down to 5mm in 5 month's, the 3.2 is a heavy lump and the tyres suffer. Those conti's are a reasonable price mate and should last longer than the goodyears. Don't think that there is a wrong decision mate between the 2.
    3.2 V6 - Bring on the Burble!

6th Gear

Status
    I think Contisports are great but I also like Toyo T1-R. I heard Vredersteins are good too.

What I do know is dont buy anything from the Brand "Clear" A 225/40/18 at 28 each is really too good to be true!
    B6 1.8T Avant s line gmbh

Audi=No fault code, no idea

Status
    Right...cut the crap

get a set of F1 asymmetric. they work on a 3.2....sorted + plus they have a rim protector band so when you nearly curb your alloys....you dont :-)
    Expect 15k and excellent wear.
    Ibis white Revo S3 and now matching Vivaro LWB HR 2900 :-)

Many people are alive because its illegal to shoot them.

5th Gear

Status
    Correct Paddy

1st Gear

Status
    I've just had 4 Khumo KU31's (Ecsta Sport) fitted to my 2.0TDi and I'm a huge fan of them. I've been using Khumo for about 3 years solid now and I have KU31 runflats fitted to the 1 Series too.

The Audi had Pirelli's fitted before and they were horrible and really noisy. I've always found the Khumo's to be pretty quiet whilst giving excellent grip in the wet as well as the dry and I've always had good mileage out of them. For 76.00 fitted and balanced a corner (17") they're also hard to beat for value.
    '53 A3 2.0 TDi Sport in ebony black with
    Symphony II+, BOSE & rear park assist

Neutral

Status
    Ive got Falken ze912s on mine they replaced my conti 2s and found them far better and the road noise is better aswell, there about 260 for 4 in 225/40/18.
    Unforgivable wheel gap

TAC

Status
    Right, have decided as funds are a little tight to be frugle and have gone for the cheaper Falken 452s. Thought i'd give them a go if they turn out to be not good will change at a later date but have rad some good reviews on r32 forums as well.

Will wear them for a couple of weeks then update my thoughts here let you know what they are like.

Cheers to all for advice

1st Gear

Status
    Hope you get on well with them mate, at least you'll have a few extra beer tokens
    3.2 V6 - Bring on the Burble!

6th Gear

Status
    michellin ps3's here. great tyre. expensive though.
    2000 AMK S3, Revo'd, forge 007p, B8's, H&R's, tarox g88's, ferrodo ds2500's, and in the fastest colour

5th Gear

Status
    I am looking at getting the 452's fitted in the next week or so as my fronts are f00ked.

I had 452's on by S4 cabriolet and was very impressed with them. Had P Zero Rosso on the Boxster and got 6k miles out of the rear tryes.............
    "Dont get me wrong. Ugly girls need loving. Just not by me."

3rd Gear

Status
    I have just gone for the PS3's which have cost me 256inc vat for a pair through work then going to have to get other two next pay packet cos skint at the minute,but also good excuse to have wheels painted and paint the calipers at the same time

Phantom Black S3,Giac stg 1,Evoms intake,Lamin-x
    (to do list,update signature pic)

Neutral

Status
    I got 4 F1 Assymetrics for my 3.2 last year fitted for under 400 from black circles, and I'm very happy with them
    06' 2.0 S-line Quattro A3
    03' E46 M3

Neutral

Status
    I moved from Michelin to Vredestien Ultrac Sessanta and although they did not last well (even wear but never bought a 3.2 to drive slowly) they never let me down EVER! from hot to snow the grip was awesome and i had 100% faith in them to do absolutly anything.

At 95 a corner fitted i was more than happy with them

TAC

Status
    Right a little update as have finally got the car back!!!! The company I used to fit the tyres decided to scratch all the alloys whilst fitting them so they have had to refurb all the wheels......... Muppets!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tyre grip in the dry is great and they drive well, I notice slightly more road noise, however, it’s only slight compared to the contis I had before. Would have to recommend them at present but haven't experienced what they are like in the wet yet as for some reason here in Briton we have a summer!!!!!!! I have probably jinxed us now but hey ho.....

Ads
    License to drive

Status
    Managed to drive the F452's in the wet yet mate?

..... (_!_) Sarah's A3s #1 Fan
    Railway Line Champion

Status
    Aythree, have you got a CD or something crazy goin on with rubber, lol?

Everywhere I look and it's you and rubber...lmfao
    Audi A6 Avant (2002) 2.5 V6 Quattro. Sunroof, Bluetooth mp3 Xcarlink, 6cd, xenons, tints, ST3, 18" RS6s
    I have VCDS and I'm not afraid to use it, well, a little bit?

Ads
    License to drive

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Watty View Post
    Aythree, have you got a CD or something crazy goin on with rubber, lol?

Everywhere I look and it's you and rubber...lmfao
    Hahahahhahaaa!! Honestly mate, I've been googling tyres ALL day. I've turned into a bloody expert in 24 hours! I think I'm obsessed!!

PS: And can you stop stalking me please.

Audi=No fault code, no idea

Status
    F1 Assymetrics work well on the 3.2 and have a rim protector which could save you a lot of 's. I use Conti contact 3's and they are near silent on most roads...not cheap but then you dont skimp on rubber.
    Ibis white Revo S3 and now matching Vivaro LWB HR 2900 :-)

Many people are alive because its illegal to shoot them.

TAC

Status
    Good in the wet had a fast run down the M4 in them and then onto some muddy wet windy B roads was actually impressed by them , not as good as the contis but for the money I paid for them bloody impressive!!!