S3 clutch slip . . . . at 30k miles !!??

ColinS

Reaction score
Hi all,

after having a look through the site I have noticed quite a few posts on clutchs slipping, although most of the posts are from owners of re-mapped and or tuned cars.

I have a standard 07 plate S3 with 30k on the clock.

The car has developed intermittent clutch slip. Usually low revs in a high gear when you floor it. Just as the boost comes in the clutch will slip.

Anybody else had an issue with the clutch on their standard S3 ?

I can understand clutch problems with cars running higher power/torque . . . but surely not on a standard car with only 30k on the clock ?

the manaufacturers warranty has ran out but it is still covered by the 2nd hand car years warranty I received from the audi main dealer.

cheers

colin

Low revs, high gear and you're booting it ?.

Seriuosly though 30k is early but doubt you'll get it sorted under warranty as it's awear and tear item. You don't know how the first owner reated it either.

Hope you get it sorted out.

When I say "floor it" I mean relatively low revs for relatively high gear. Clutch should not slip at all. doesnt matter what gear you are in and what revs you are at.

eg. I was cruising in fourth gear at 40mph this morning stuck behind somebody on a very long straight. When it was safe to do so, I passed them. Instead of dropping to 3rd gear I just put my foot down with the car still in 4th. Car is deffo torquey enough to deal with that.

Thanks for your reply.

Didn't mean to come across arsey, just it's widely known that the clutch is pretty dire and the weak spot on the S3. It seems that those that drop a gear and use higher revs ( less torque ) give their clutch an easier time.

See what your dealer / warranty company says about it, and all the best.

If its the DMF then its warranty.
Unfortunately you wont know that until its stripped down.

The clutches and DMf are a hugely under engineered part of the VAG range.
Unforgiveable in a car if this type and price.

Good luck.
Paul

Thanks for your help guys.

I am struggling to get my head round this ! I have never known a clutch to slip intermittently. if it is worn it should get progressively worse not come and go.

I am thinking about leaving it for a while to see if it develops.

I will let you know how I get on.

Thanks for your help guys.

I am struggling to get my head round this ! I have never known a clutch to slip intermittently. if it is worn it should get progressively worse not come and go.

I am thinking about leaving it for a while to see if it develops.

I will let you know how I get on.

Same here, always struggled with this.

I wouldnt bet against it being your DMF.

Paul

On a stock car this shouldn't happen , I agree and think it could possibly be your DMF.

But does it happen every time you boot it form low revs in high gear or just sometimes?
If you do this often it puts a lot of strain on your clutch, as does holding on a hill / at the lights with the clutch, i always avoid doing this.

Just a quick note to the people that replied previously.

Just got the car back from audi. Clutch flywheel and slave cylinder all replaced under warranty !

Their diagnosis was the slave cylinder was sticking, which in turn damaged the clutch and flywheel.

Something to look out for if your S3 clutch is slipping.

Good stuff Colin!! It's pleasing to hear Audi diagnosing and replacing a collection of items without any nonsense.

Can you explain what you booked the car in for and if they needed to prove it before replacing all the parts?

Common fault with the S3's - mention that you have done your research and you think the DMF is knackered. Then it will be a warrenty job

Unfortunately, if they take the DMF out and see that it is ok, they might charge :S

It's a bit of a gamble then :faint:.

Problem with my local is that I'm not entirely convinced they are that bothered with customers. Service is touch and go sometimes...

The clutch has started slipping on the car a while back but it was intermittent which i couldnt get my head around. Done my research on here and found out alot of people were stating that if the DMF was faulty it could give these symptoms.

Booked it in to stirling audi and credit to them, everybody I spoke to there was extremely helpful. I made it pretty clear that I was not happy with the fact that my s3 with 30 000 miles on the clocks clutch was on the way out and that I was looking for them to replace it under warranty.

I drove the car with one of the mechanics beside me, clutch didnt slip but I gave him a shot and he agreed it didnt feel quite right.

Problem got progressively worse until car went in to get the work done. When they stripped it they discovered the slave cylinder was at fault which had ruined the clutch and flywheel.

I’ve been doing a lot of research regarding clutch slippage on the 8L Chassis as I own an Audi S3 225bhp not modified, and it seems like the simple solution is to replace the clutch system. I’ve done 70K miles, I do drive fast but I don’t always do "launch control". I’ve also found that my clutch slips in 5th & 6th gear when boost is engaged, and it is intermittent. I’m guessing after reading this it could be just down to design fault!? – you sure they changed the clutch flywheel and not just the slave cylinder? I ask this because I saw on another forum, Mini Copper, which they replaced the sticky slave cylinder and it stopped the clutch slippage.

Just a quick note to the people that replied previously.

Just got the car back from audi. Clutch flywheel and slave cylinder all replaced under warranty !

Their diagnosis was the slave cylinder was sticking, which in turn damaged the clutch and flywheel.

Something to look out for if your S3 clutch is slipping.

Hi there, great info . I have a 64plate S3 with 26k on the clock with the exact same symptoms and just been told by Audi this morning that there could be a clutch issue. Warranty only covers manufacturing faults so to see the DMF mentioned I will be on the phone shortly to speak to them about it as the quote for a new clutch is £1200.... funny thing is a guy in my work with the same car with 20k is having the same issues and been told not covered and will be charged if they take it out the car. The interesting thing for him is that Stirling are mentioned about being helpful when their sister dealership in Edinburgh as much less so.
Was considering the purchase of a new one ..maybe not now.

You have to agree to the labour charge before they will start to dismantle the car. If they find the parts are mechanically faulty when it is stripped down you will pay nothing due to the warranty. However, if the fault is thought to be wear and tear you have to pay the whole lot. We had exactly the same with a 7 month old 8,000 mile Golf7R last year.