Smallest wheel size on A3 3.2 S-line quattro?

SuperPuper2000

Reaction score
Guys,

I am trying to find out what is the smallest size of the wheel that can be fitted to an Audi A3 3.2 S-line quattro?

I know it sounds a bit silly and everyone wants to go the other way - to fit larger wheels - but I'm looking to buy a set of wheels for winter use on the snow so if I can fit something smaller that existing 18x8.5 - it will help the grip. However brake discs seems to be quite large and I wonder if anything smaller than 18 inch will fit at all.

I have tried to look in the manual and asked a dealer - without any success. Dealer told me to look in the manual and manual only list size of wheels that are fitted to the car which is 18s, not the other possible sizes.

I would appreciate if someone could point me in the right direction with this issue...

Have a look at your fuel tank flap. There's a chart with air pressure values for different wheel sizes on it.

If 16" wheels will fit I have a genuine OEM set for sale

isnt it big rims with thin tyres you want for snow though?

Idk for sure (could be speaking *****!) but it seems that way would be best, less likely to get stuck.

Yeah 17's are the smallest size that will clear your 345mm discs and calipers, as fitted to the Sport.

17 7.5s do just fine for winter weather (granted i have studded tyres for the fronts and flexiwall ice tyres for the rears

it doesnt even look like 17's will fit over the 345mm discs to me! do the sports not run smaller discs?

Yep, my old 3.2 sport came with 17's on. Brake discs are the same on both!

isnt it big rims with thin tyres you want for snow though?

Idk for sure (could be speaking *****!) but it seems that way would be best, less likely to get stuck.

I would think cost would be the overwhelming factor here also though. Smaller tyres cost less, and winter tyres are pretty damned expensive.
My guess is that I will be stuck with 18's for my S4 though...

Same calipers bar different paint job and an S3 clip....