RNS-E, MFSW and Bluetooth install

AFN1980

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

On June 6th 2010 a very helpful and hungry chap turned up on my doorstep. Armed with a Hammer and a large hacksaw to install my new toys. This was a scary sight until this old chap smiled and got some real tools out for his car. For those of you who don't know him he goes by the name of NHN!!!!!

I was having a RNS-E, MFSW, Bluetooth and SDS installed.

This was not a simple build and we encountered various issues. Well actually NHN encountered the issues I just sat and watched and every now and again cursed my luck and bank balance!:banghead:

The following was done to the car.

1. Multifunction wheel fitted - I bought a lovely brand new wheel for this and it turned out it didn't fit as I had a different air bag!!!! Good job I had plan B and had a bought an older s-line wheel as backup. (lol this was lucky as I didn't mean to buy the extra wheel!)

2. RNS-E install conversion from single to double din. I must say NHN is very Handy with a dremel, as me being me i bought the wrong double climate unit for my car! I needed one with heated seats and bought one without! :sos:. NHN worked his magic and trimmed down my original unit and it was a perfect fit and looked awesome.

3. Bluetooth install - This was the fun part well not for NHN but for me. As the front passenger seat came out of the car and all the trim was being taken apart. The wife pop's out to have a look and the look on her face was priceless. :jump:

We had various other small issues (remember the clip NHN):laugh:. All in all it was a job well done and a fantastic performance by NHN. The setup looks amazing. Here are the pics guys. enjoy!

PS I have a nice brand new S-Line MFSW for sale and various single and double din parts!

BIG THANKS TO NHN!!!!!

Before the install

P1010831.jpg

P1010832.jpg

Car in Bits

P1010834.jpg

P1010835.jpg

P1010836.jpg

Install completed

P1010840.jpg

P1010839.jpg

looking, good top work from nhn as always i mind my single to double din conversion twas a bitch but now i know where everything is im pretty efficient with it

Thanks mate, I really like the way it looks and it came out really well. Am really pleased with it.

It was an absolute pleasure to do this for you mate, really was, very good host & made great tea aswell, both you & your wife :)
Another friend made, aswell as fantastic curry aswell, to the point of taking home a doggy bag :beerchug: to your mum for great food.

The install went very well tbh, apart from a few hiccups, 1 being the infamous poxy climate clip pinged of & decided to hide itself somewhere in the center console, so had to take the whole center column out, then found the sneaky ****** hiding under the console chassis like a scared animal.

Once all in place & tested, I put everything back together & in place, then we got down to the nitty gritty, stuck the unit in fully, coded up, cleared any faults, hey presto tested fully 1st time & all worked perfectly.

A very successful day & a very happy owner, love doing these installs, seeing the cars in pieces then the end job, brings a smile to the face like a cheshire cat, secret is to take your time, be very patient, careful, always test everything before reassembling & again always remember its someone else's car, also dont lose climate clips. :haha: :icon_thumright:

If anyone else needs installs done, give me a shout.

how much for steering wheel?
do you know why the air bag is different? maybe different between dsg and manual due to paddles being there? or would it be a year thing do you know?

Wheel is different due to the airbag used for a very limited period of time in 08, its nothing to do with the gearbox type.

It was an absolute pleasure to do this for you mate, really was, very good host & made great tea aswell, both you & your wife :)
Another friend made, aswell as fantastic curry aswell, to the point of taking home a doggy bag :beerchug: to your mum for great food.

The install went very well tbh, apart from a few hiccups, 1 being the infamous poxy climate clip pinged of & decided to hide itself somewhere in the center console, so had to take the whole center column out, then found the sneaky ****** hiding under the console chassis like a scared animal.

Once all in place & tested, I put everything back together & in place, then we got down to the nitty gritty, stuck the unit in fully, coded up, cleared any faults, hey presto tested fully 1st time & all worked perfectly.

A very successful day & a very happy owner, love doing these installs, seeing the cars in pieces then the end job, brings a smile to the face like a cheshire cat, secret is to take your time, be very patient, careful, always test everything before reassembling & again always remember its someone else's car, also dont lose climate clips. :haha: :icon_thumright:

hahahaha the clip bit was funny. I tried not to laugh at the time but after wards it was very funny. The way you shouted "I GOT IT LITTLE *******" made me laugh.

Glad you enjoyed the food mate. You're welcome back anytime. Oh just let me know when so i can get a 140 box of tea bags for you.

The wheel was a real disappointment as it was such a nice bit of kit. Oh well you win some and you lose some. If anyone is interested in it then drop me a pm. Will need to check your airbag against the wheel to make sure it fits ok.

Cheers

Hey the Tea is the key for a successful install, cant work without tea, if there was no tea it would of been cancelled :haha:

Again I say a pleasure working for you & meeting you mate, top bloke.

Hi Nigel

Just seen this post along with others who all say the same thing - you are the 'go to man' for all installs!! I was wondering if you could help me out with a possible install for a bluetooth kit. I have RNS-E installed to the car but want to get the OEM bluetooth unit aswell. Would really appreciate if you could help me out with this one mate!

Cheers

Del