Anti-Corrosion Warranty Claim

fgaffney

Reaction score
On investigating a piece of loose door trim I saw that rust on the inside of the door skin had caused the screw to fail. Further checks of my other door also revealed signs of rust along the lower edge. As the car is only 6 years old I tried to make a claim under warranty this afternoon at the Edinburgh Dealers.

After an hour long examination the Warranty Co-Ordinator basically told me that the paint on the N/S door wasn’t original and the signs of rust on the O/S door were perfectly acceptable. As a result he wouldn’t be submitting any claim to Audi UK on my behalf.

Now I know the full history of the car and that no repairs or resprays have ever been done to either door so I explained that I wasn’t happy with his findings and that I’d like to take the matter further.

Before I write and complain to Audi UK do I have grounds for my warranty claim based on the attached pictures and can anyone share any similar experiences?

The car was first registered in September 2003, has a full Audi Service History and has just done 72,000 miles.
Many thanks in advance for any help.

F/N/S Door 1

025.jpg

F/N/S Door 2

015.jpg

F/O/S Door 1

018.jpg

F/O/S Door 2

020.jpg

Last edited:
both my doors are the same, more the drivers out of the two. There are other members in the same boat. Dont know if anybody has tried to claim yet.

Well worth taking those strips off and giving it a good clean under there every so offen :)

back hand him and tell him it isnt his descision to make if the claim goes into audi or not, all he is there to do is take pictures and submit the claim i had the same told to me and i got the job done, i almost hit the boy at dundee, grade a ****** like, its a design flaw in the doors causeing the rust, they have since been redesigned and there is no getting around that for audi youll get your stuff done under warrenty

I telephoned Audi UK this morning and e-mailed photos of the corrosion as instructed. I'll wait and see what their take is on it and whether or not I have grounds for a claim?

Did you get a response ?

I've got the exact same happening on my driver's side door.

I thought the anti corrosion warranty was a perforation thing not surface rust....I may be wrong ?.

They basically told me to 'jog on' and used every excuse possible not to proceed with my claim. Unfortunately as I've not owned the car since new I couldn't say whether or not any previous spray work had been carried out on it prior to my ownership. Audi Edinburgh claimed there had been (although not to the affected areas) however they used this excuse to send me on my way. Clearly it's a design flaw however I reckon you'll be lucky to get anywhere with a claim... sorry!

How long is the Anti-Corrosion Warranty for on audi a3's ?

Had the drivers door replaced on my 2005 A3 for the same reason. Keep the pressure up with Audi UK, I would email the head guy in Audi UK Jeremy Hicks. I had a complete replacement passenger door on mine due to a lorry merging into it (LHD cab from Eastern Europe) so I knew that there is a change to the design. They were going to just respray my drivers door when it started to rust by that screw, I pushed the point and have a completely new drivers door under the corrosion warranty.

The new design has a different section on the corner, like a drain hole from behind that plastic trim to let the water out.

I'd do your research and take a look at that section on a new 3 door at the dealers.

Luckily though I did know the complete history of my car.

Last edited:
I think the criteria for Audi is if the rust color is browner than the manager's teeth (if he still has any non-wooden ones), then it should be replaced.