DIY: Changing/Conversion HID D3S Bulbs on Audi A3 2010 w/ DRL Bi-Xenon Headlamps

xnox202

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Decided to do a little DIY on how to change the HID Bulbs with DRL Bi-Xenon Headlamps as it was nowhere to be found when I did this.

So what I found out is that you don't have to remove the front bumper in order to get access of the headlamp. It's a little hard though if you have big hands.

Disclaimer: I take no responsibility if in any case you cracked/damaged some parts while following the DIY. If you intend to watch a football or some hockey match in about an hour, then do not proceed with the installation. This DIY could vary from as short as 30 minutes up to 2 or even 3 hours if you don't know what you're doing.

This DIY only applies to Audi A3 Post-facelift with DRL Bi-Xenon Headlamps.

The bulb fitting for this type of headlamp is: D3S, with 4300k Color Temp (OEM Color).

------

So here goes:

1st) Jack up the car and remove the front wheel to get access of the fender liner.
DSC01441.jpg

2) Take note of the screws/clips that needs to be removed.
DSC01443.jpg

3) Get your handy toolbox bits to remove these.
DSC01444.jpg

DSC01445.jpg

By now, you should be able to pull the fender liner back and reveal the rear recess of the headlamp.

4) Rear recess of headlamp.
DSC01446.jpg

5) Remove rubber grommet. Just pull it off.
DSC01447.jpg

6) Remove the wire harness connected to it (Pinch).
DSC01448.jpg

DSC01450.jpg

7) After removing it, turn the unit clockwise and carefully remove it.
DSC01451.jpg

8) Comparing the bulbs.
DSC01452.jpg

9) Now, remove the Bulb Holder from the OEM bulb to the new bulb. Make sure the markings are aligned.
DSC01453.jpg

10) Take note of these. You will need to align in order to attach back to the headlamp and secure it.
DSC01454.jpg

DSC01455.jpg

Putting things back is the reversal of removing the whole thing. It takes quite awhile to get the bulb back into the headlamp. This was the hardest part, and it took me about 30 minutes trying to figure it out.

Another alternative/easier way to put the bulb back into the housing is get the bulb and the bulb holder installed first without the silver box attached to it.

Now test run the bulb and see if it fires up. You're halfway through the conversion now!

Test: Headlamp turned on with HID D3S 6000k Bulbs.
DSC01457.jpg

Test: Comparison with the OEM HID D3S 4300k Bulbs.
DSC01458.jpg

Side-by-side comparison.
DSC01459.jpg

As for the other side of the headlamp, it's pretty much similar to everything else you've done initially on the passenger side.

DSC01461.jpg

After the conversion, I had to realign my headlamps as it got aligned a little too high which glares oncoming traffic. The following picture was taken after I realigned my headlamps:

DSC01470.jpg

------

Here's my result of the whole conversion. I've also got a HID H11 6000k kit fitted in my fogs. It matches well in real life!

DSC01464.jpg

DSC01468.jpg

DSC01469.jpg

A must-do mod for those whose interested in doing this. Pretty much got my back sore after the whole ordeal but everything was worth it in the end. :rock:

Reactions: ch1z64, Mr_Dude, D3mon and 2 others
thanks for that mate, i have the 8P2 but this made it more clear on what i need to take off to remove the front bumper, most of the guides on here with pics are too close to see where the fender brackets and torx are.
I will be changing the bumper later this week for the sline one so this is a great help.

by the way mate your lights look spot on!:thumbsup: makes me want to do my headlights so much more now, pity funds won't allow yet as i've already spent too much this month.

Hi mate. How do you adjust these lights up and down? Is there something on the headligjt itself that does it? Ive changed my bulbs too and their facing downwards..so i cant see much!

Thanks

Decided to do a little DIY on how to change the HID Bulbs with DRL Bi-Xenon Headlamps as it was nowhere to be found when I did this.

So what I found out is that you don't have to remove the front bumper in order to get access of the headlamp. It's a little hard though if you have big hands.

Disclaimer: I take no responsibility if in any case you cracked/damaged some parts while following the DIY. If you intend to watch a football or some hockey match in about an hour, then do not proceed with the installation. This DIY could vary from as short as 30 minutes up to 2 or even 3 hours if you don't know what you're doing.

This DIY only applies to Audi A3 Post-facelift with DRL Bi-Xenon Headlamps.

The bulb fitting for this type of headlamp is: D3S, with 4300k Color Temp (OEM Color).

------

So here goes:

1st) Jack up the car and remove the front wheel to get access of the fender liner.
DSC01441.jpg

2) Take note of the screws/clips that needs to be removed.
DSC01443.jpg

3) Get your handy toolbox bits to remove these.
DSC01444.jpg

DSC01445.jpg

By now, you should be able to pull the fender liner back and reveal the rear recess of the headlamp.

4) Rear recess of headlamp.
DSC01446.jpg

5) Remove rubber grommet. Just pull it off.
DSC01447.jpg

6) Remove the wire harness connected to it (Pinch).
DSC01448.jpg

DSC01450.jpg

7) After removing it, turn the unit clockwise and carefully remove it.
DSC01451.jpg

8) Comparing the bulbs.
DSC01452.jpg

9) Now, remove the Bulb Holder from the OEM bulb to the new bulb. Make sure the markings are aligned.
DSC01453.jpg

10) Take note of these. You will need to align in order to attach back to the headlamp and secure it.
DSC01454.jpg

DSC01455.jpg

Putting things back is the reversal of removing the whole thing. It takes quite awhile to get the bulb back into the headlamp. This was the hardest part, and it took me about 30 minutes trying to figure it out.

Another alternative/easier way to put the bulb back into the housing is get the bulb and the bulb holder installed first without the silver box attached to it.

Now test run the bulb and see if it fires up. You're halfway through the conversion now!

Test: Headlamp turned on with HID D3S 6000k Bulbs.
DSC01457.jpg

Test: Comparison with the OEM HID D3S 4300k Bulbs.
DSC01458.jpg

Side-by-side comparison.
DSC01459.jpg

As for the other side of the headlamp, it's pretty much similar to everything else you've done initially on the passenger side.

DSC01461.jpg

After the conversion, I had to realign my headlamps as it got aligned a little too high which glares oncoming traffic. The following picture was taken after I realigned my headlamps:

DSC01470.jpg

------

Here's my result of the whole conversion. I've also got a HID H11 6000k kit fitted in my fogs. It matches well in real life!

DSC01464.jpg

DSC01468.jpg

DSC01469.jpg

A must-do mod for those whose interested in doing this. Pretty much got my back sore after the whole ordeal but everything was worth it in the end. :rock:

Spent about 4 hrs fitting 6k d3s bulbs (bought from eBay £40 for abpair) and would like to point out two things, 1. Both left and right bulbs need to be turned Anticlockwise in order to come out! Not clockwise as mentioned. You only turn clockwise to secure it back in! 2. I found the clips a nightmare to remove, these probably tool the longest time. 3. I regret fitting them in! The cheap 6k bulbs that are a fraction of the genuine osram bulbs are not bright at all, so much dimmer than the stock OEM 4.3k bulbs that it make driving in the rain DANGEROUS. I've read people online saying that they'll always stick with OEM bulbs, and now I know why. So I'll b reverting back yo the stock OEM favouring safety over looks. Just my thought

Reactions: Artimus, sliced and 210_MIH
View attachment 25266

Just to show everyone what 6000k bulbs look like in terms of brightness.

I've finally removed them so they're up for sale.

When I had them on, I felt reluctant to take them off because they do look aesthetically more pleasing; I did convince myself though that the brightness matches a typical H7 bulb., but they are rated at a lower lumen output so for that reason, I am selling them.

Reactions: sliced and Artimus
DSC01459.jpg

my oem look perfect white like the ones on the left with no hint of yellow. why do your OEM xenons look so yellow.

They only last a few years, so a 2009 car will probably at some point have had new\upgraded ones fitted. Mine are also crisp white, but I don't doubt they were the 4300k Osrams originally.

Reactions: sliced
They only last a few years, so a 2009 car will probably at some point have had new\upgraded ones fitted. Mine are also crisp white, but I don't doubt they were the 4300k Osrams originally.

The colour temp of Xenon bulbs increases (and lumen output decreases) over time.

I've had a good look for a decent quality D3S bulb that offers perhaps a 5000k option which is a good inbetween. The Kaibird ones posted above are also available in 5000k but I've been unable to find any reviews of them, they could very easily be a cheap bulb in fancy packaging.

There's also these Phillips 4800k's which are supposed to be awesome but £195 a pair! PHILIPS XENON PAIR D3S X-TREME VISION +50% 42302XV | eBay

theretrofitsource.com or the likes is our best bet for an affordable solution with variation of colour temps & good output but as yet they have not released a D3S option.

Reactions: Artimus and wxc
Yes! The philip 4800k seems like the next best option, theyll suit the white Led DLR better than 6000k, but I agree its super expensive. They're suppose to last a long time so if you can convince yourself it's a wise investment then please let me know how good they are. Actually there's a YouTube video of these 4800k Philip bulbs, they sure look very white and bright ! I think I will buy one when one of the stock OEM 4300k loses its life.

Reactions: S3 Rav
I was about to order, but can't decide on 5 or 6000k ...any recommendations for a match of the DRL's?

Definately go for 5000k or 4800k for two reasons:

1) 5000k is pure white with little to no hint of blue, which matches the DLR.
2) 5000k has better lumen output compared to 6000k. I think most of the newer Audi's house the 5000k bulbs, they match the DRL perfectly.

I would advise against 6000k anyday if you're hoping to match DRL to the headlights

Reactions: Artimus
I'd just like to add that people should either be disconnecting fuses for the lights or disconnecting the battery before proceeding with the removal of these bulbs. I've seen what happens in worst case scenarios and it aint no fun.

Reactions: wxc and Artimus
Definately go for 5000k or 4800k for two reasons:

1) 5000k is pure white with little to no hint of blue, which matches the DLR.
2) 5000k has better lumen output compared to 6000k. I think most of the newer Audi's house the 5000k bulbs, they match the DRL perfectly.

I would advise against 6000k anyday if you're hoping to match DRL to the headlights

+1 on 5000k, I have them in my MG ZT, perfect.

Reactions: Artimus and wxc
I'd just like to add that people should either be disconnecting fuses for the lights or disconnecting the battery before proceeding with the removal of these bulbs. I've seen what happens in worst case scenarios and it aint no fun.

I've removed my D3S bulbs twice and on both occasions didn't remove the fuse or disconnect the battery and they're still OK.

I guess during the removal procedure, it is essential NOT to switch the bulbs on until properly installed, that includes switching on the engine.

5000k it is! I'll order them now.

Edit: done, hopefully they'll be here next week and I'll get them fitted next weekend. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: wxc
5000k it is! I'll order them now.

Edit: done, hopefully they'll be here next week and I'll get them fitted next weekend. :)

If it's purely to match the DRL's then you would have been happier with 6000k at the expense of output.

The DRL LED's are "cool white" and have a very slight blue hue, same as most bright LED's and 5000k wont match them nearly as well as 6000k would, I know this from experience. You only have to look at the above pics to see how well 6000k matches the DRL's. 5000k will still look yellow ish in comparison (although that's not actually the case, they're actually perfectly white, it's the DRL's that have the blue hue)

That said, 6000k drastically reduces the output of your headlights so 5000k is a good in between and the best of both worlds.

If it's purely to match the DRL's then you would have been happier with 6000k at the expense of output.

The DRL LED's are "cool white" and have a very slight blue hue, same as most bright LED's and 5000k wont match them nearly as well as 6000k would, I know this from experience. You only have to look at the above pics to see how well 6000k matches the DRL's. 5000k will still look yellow ish in comparison (although that's not actually the case, they're actually perfectly white, it's the DRL's that have the blue hue)

That said, 6000k drastically reduces the output of your headlights so 5000k is a good in between and the best of both worlds.

Here's a photo of the 6000k on my car

View attachment 25355

I know here in the photo (taken with a camera phone), they look like they match nicely but in real life the headlights (6000k D3S) actually has a blue hue to it. the DLR leds are pure white with no hint of blue really. so my conclusion is 5000k being whiter will suit the DLR better than 6000k, but that's my opinion.

Here's a photo of the 6000k on my car

View attachment 25355

I know here in the photo (taken with a camera phone), they look like they match nicely but in real life the headlights (6000k D3S) actually has a blue hue to it. the DLR leds are pure white with no hint of blue really. so my conclusion is 5000k being whiter will suit the DLR better than 6000k, but that's my opinion.

To be honest in that pic I'd go as far as to say your DRL's look slightly yellow, very strange as my DRL's on my 2010 S3 have the same very slight blue hue to them as 6000k HID's do. The same as you get with cree white LED's, it's a very cool white in any LED I've fitted to any car I've owned.

Give me 10 I'll go take a pic.

But yes, based on yours being that colour I'd agree the 5000k would be a better match.

I really need to take one in daylight as this pic is pretty bad but you get the idea:

F847F1FA-4840-4366-99E6-8095DD938E5D_zpsyz1buglp.jpg~original

My DRL's have a colour far more like that of a 6000k HID bulb.

Reactions: minty86
Interesting, your LEDs certainly look different, its Lightning blue !

It's just the pic, the true colour is the same cool white as any other automotive LED I've purchased in the past. Typical of high power cree white LED's. Blue hue none the less, same as 6000k HID's.

Maybe it's an S3 thing?

I've removed my D3S bulbs twice and on both occasions didn't remove the fuse or disconnect the battery and they're still OK.

I guess during the removal procedure, it is essential NOT to switch the bulbs on until properly installed, that includes switching on the engine.

I'm not saying it can't be done without it, but its good practice to do this. Most systems run silly amounts of voltage, last thing you want to be doing is shocking yourself. Considering this is a guide on how to do it, it's worth advising people. From that point in its upto them if they choose not to disconnect anything.

Here's a Pic of mine showing there's a very slight yellow tinge to the DRL's, the Xenon's are a fairly good match, but I have no idea what colour temp they are.

DRL colour 2

I'm hoping the 5000k are as close a match, but brighter than the current ones.

It's just the pic, the true colour is the same cool white as any other automotive LED I've purchased in the past. Typical of high power cree white LED's. Blue hue none the less, same as 6000k HID's.

Maybe it's an S3 thing?

It's probably your camera :p the white balance shifted more towards the blue because of the colour of your car

I've just been reading that Audi do 5000k and 6000k DRL's depending on the car spec and the age which would explain the vast difference between them.

Please let me know what they're like of you're going for a pair :)
Just a small update really: I picked these up from the P.O today and managed to fit them before the weather arrived.

They seem like a decent bulb for the price, the box says they're Australian - not Chinese like I was expecting - so they should be as butch as f**k and able to take a battering - Bonus! :box:

Went for a drive to test their continuity before it gets dark (...wouldn't want to be down a dark lane tonight on my way to\from work and the fail on me) ..all is in order and I'll post an honest opinion on their effectiveness tomorrow after I've driven with them later.

In the meantime a few iPhone pics:

HID Box 1

New on the left, Old on the right...

HID Bulbs New V Old 1

turns out I was still running the original Osrams...

HID Bulbs New V Old 3

Old on the Left, New on the right! who'da thunk my old ones were yellow...

HID Compare Old V New 2

They look a good match for the DRL's & so far I'm happy, but the proof of the cake is in the eating & I'll withhold judgment until after a night time drive.

Last edited:
Cheers for the update.

They're maybe an Australian company but they will be made in in the east, no doubt about that.

They look a good match for your DRL's, very interested to see your thoughts after some use, remember that they will not be at optimum output until they get upwards of 50 hours use on them.

Look forward to your update as I fancy changing myself.

Reactions: wxc and Artimus
please let us know how you get on in terms of night driving, dunno if it's possible but if you can leave one side stock and the other with the new bulbs and take a few snaps?

please let us know how you get on in terms of night driving, dunno if it's possible but if you can leave one side stock and the other with the new bulbs and take a few snaps?
lol, the last of the four pictures in my previous post is all you're going to get, as I changed the other one before I went for a drive this afternoon. I'm not going to be someone that drives with odd bulbs! call it OCD if you like, but I need them to be identical.

:)

I've not seen any AUDI DRLs that look like 6000k, they always look pure white to me. 6000k is an obvious blue like many aftermarket HID kits or aged HID cars. 5000k is always going to be a safe bet as it is pretty much proper white.

Fingers crossed you'll be happy with the brightness in the dark ! Let us know

I've not seen any AUDI DRLs that look like 6000k, they always look pure white to me. 6000k is an obvious blue like many aftermarket HID kits or aged HID cars. 5000k is always going to be a safe bet as it is pretty much proper white.

I would say mine look closer to 6k than 5k

Last edited:
Reactions: Brooksbro
Right, no beating about the bush chaps! I'm both disappointed & surprised with these bulbs.

Firstly they're pure white & make the DRL's look slightly yellow, which I'm surprised about because during daylight hours they look a fairly good match colour wise.

I'm disappointed because they don't light up the road as well as the originals (in the rain at least), I think it's more to do with the colour rather than the output thought, as against a brick wall they look plenty bright enough, but when actually driving the surroundings seem to soak up most of the light... Wet roads, kerb stones, trees & shrubbery all take their toll & you're left with dim conditions.

It could be as Muzza said ...they need time to burn in.. I don't know, but on the current showing, I wouldn't buy this colour again.

If it stays dry tonight, I'll go out & take a few pictures, but judging by how they were in the wet, I'm not holding out much hope of them delivering anything special.

Ho hum, looks like the search for a good & cheaper alternative to the originals continues. :(

Right, no beating about the bush chaps! I'm both disappointed & surprised with these bulbs.

Firstly they're pure white & make the DRL's look slightly yellow, which I'm surprised about because during daylight hours they look a fairly good match colour wise.

I'm disappointed because they don't light up the road as well as the originals (in the rain at least), I think it's more to do with the colour rather than the output thought, as against a brick wall they look plenty bright enough, but when actually driving the surroundings seem to soak up most of the light... Wet roads, kerb stones, trees & shrubbery all take their toll & you're left with dim conditions.

It could be as Muzza said ...they need time to burn in.. I don't know, but on the current showing, I wouldn't buy this colour again.

If it stays dry tonight, I'll go out & take a few pictures, but judging by how they were in the wet, I'm not holding out much hope of them delivering anything special.

Ho hum, looks like the search for a good & cheaper alternative to the originals continues. :(

Glad you were the guinea pig, I was almost tempted too!!

Recon some light blue lamin-x over the headlamps should give a nicer blue look?

Audirs6.jpg

Recon some light blue lamin-x over the headlamps should give a nicer blue look?

Audirs6.jpg

That looks pretty horrific. Too much like the corsa line up at the local Maccy D's.