Radio Controlled Clock A3 (8P)

DavidM

Reaction score
Hi all,

Trying to set-up the radio controlled clock but in the manual doesn't tell you how to do so which I find very strange.

It works in the UK I know that for sure, but have no idea how to get it to work and sync.

Dave

Dave M,

If you find out, but not via this forum, can you let us know as well, I spent about half-an-hour playing with it as well, then came to the conclusion that you probably don't get it with DIS (as it mentions nothing to do with DIS in the manual, an yet you can set the clock from there)... you probably have to pull the toggle and twist it 2 degrees to the left, or something strange like that???

Would be good to know if you find out though, and likewise if I find out, I'll post it here!

Cheers,

BravePilot

Dave M,

Further to my previous post, I got in contact with my dealer (Hitchin Audi) regarding it, and this is the answer:

"With regards the clock query, having spoken to a couple of our master technicians they have informed me that the remote control function is only available in select countries on the continent. For example, Germany are linked up to an advanced type of ‘Traffic Master’ system by Satellite Navigation that provides time, date and weather reports and also traffic info. Unfortunately this type of technology has not advanced enough in this country to allow its use"

Oh well... would have been nice.

Kind regards,

Pilot

[ QUOTE ]
BravePilot said:
Dave M,

Further to my previous post, I got in contact with my dealer (Hitchin Audi) regarding it, and this is the answer:

"With regards the clock query, having spoken to a couple of our master technicians they have informed me that the remote control function is only available in select countries on the continent. For example, Germany are linked up to an advanced type of ‘Traffic Master’ system by Satellite Navigation that provides time, date and weather reports and also traffic info. Unfortunately this type of technology has not advanced enough in this country to allow its use"

Oh well... would have been nice.

Kind regards,

Pilot

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess that's because we have RDS here?

Why is the UK so far behind in technology compared to the rest of Europe.

For instance Broadband for one.

Roads are pretty lame also compared to Germany.

Dave

I wish the clock worked damn it!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/froggie_red.gif

I have come across this before on my previous A3. It seems that Audi only fit the radio-controlled version of the clock to continental versions.

But I have a Junghans radio-controlled alarm clock that is also tuned to the German transmitter and that works OK at home and where ever I take it in the UK. It has a facility to let you know when it was last updated by the atomic clock transmission and it updates every hour.

Shame the A3 clock cannot do the same. I'm sure it would work fine in the UK.

[ QUOTE ]
foolish3uk said:
if you go to the south coast near dover i believe you can pick up the german clock settings.

[/ QUOTE ]

..but 2 of my cars (both audis, both post 2000 model year) didn't show a flicker of interest in France, Belgium, NL, Italy, Monaco, Austria, Switzerland and Germany (ingolstadt to be particular) - and I did stop and try to activate this feature on more than one occasion.

Models destine for the UK market are not fitted with radio-controlled clocks so there is no way they will respond to the signal in Europe. The are fitted with a normal Quartz clock. Only models for mainland Europe have the radio-controlled version fitted. I have a Junghans alarm-clock and that receives it signal OK here in Cambridgeshire and it's tuned to the German atomic clock transmission frequency.

Hate it when the UK gets blown away, considering we pay alot more for the same car in Europe. Is it me or what, or do they continiously pull you panths down. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Dave

I think Audi are just playing safe. It requires a much stronger signal to enter the metal box of a car than a normal building. I don't know if my alarm clock would keep acurate if if was kept in the car. Perhaps I'll try it for a few days and see if it stills receives it's update signals every hour.

Here in Holland we definately do not pay less for our cars than you do in the UK! The thing is that taxes are rediculous here(The same goes for the scandinavian countries). Because of the tax levels, importers kept the cost price before taxes as low as possible and after tax we would pay approximately the same as you guys. This made it cheaper for someone from the UK to buy a car in Holland (for the low nett price) and after the costs of importing and the (much lower!) UK taxes you could have saved yourself a few thousand pounds. I can remember they showed how to do this in a Top Gear episode a few years ago.

Then, a few years ago, some sh*tty politicians in Brussels decided that this was unfair and the before tax prices had to be leveled in all European countries, so our nett prices went up last year. Of course the taxes do not have to be the same as in other countries and they didn't go down by the same amount. (That doesn't seem fair to me, but what can you do...) To make things even better, next january they are raising the taxes even more on a new car (about 1000 to 1500 Euros for an average car) and later in 2005 the before tax price will also be raised again beacuse of some silly Brussels law. These two facts made me decide to order my new car now rather than in a year or so (which was the original plan).

Anyway, to cut a long story short, don't you think that us mainlanders get our cars cheap. We pay though the nose!

David M, cars are bargain there. A 3,2 DSG costs £25,525. That's just a ~36500e. It's 47650e here, so.. who pays more?-)

- Yak

Hi I was talking to a friend on here in another country and noticed that his A3 is fitted with a radio controlled clock. I thought this might a cool little add on for mine but after reading this post I found that it isn’t a UK option.

That said I thought I’d give it ago at fitting it and see how I got on. The wiring is nice and simple and it’s located behind the rear bumper so apart from running the wires it shouldn’t take much. If anyone is interested in this I’ll post if it works or not but the part number of the receiver is:

4B0919145B

Or

8K0919145A

Here’s the wiring:

70c8812b7e61c76340e5857f4d568b61.jpg

1af4db54b331f316dabd6ec2ca2fc707.jpg

Fitting location of aerial:

544c873670991f75f5f8dd98f3026f61.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk