WILL A GOLF ED30 ENGINE AND ECU GO IN AN A3 QUATTRO?

jon-tfsi

Reaction score
I would love an S3 8P but the budget is a bit tight at the moment.

I have an 06 S-line TFSI Quattro donor car and an ED30 Engine available
The build would cost approx £10K for a stage 2+ car.

The engine, engine ECU and wiring loom from the ED30 are all available.

Q. Will the Engine and Ecu be compatible?
Q. Is the clutch compatible? I know the standard cluth on an S3 will only just cope with stage 2+

Anyone know?

Cheers
Jon

10k!? sounds a bit mental! surely your car + 10k would equal to a nice S3???

I would love an s3 but the budget will only squeeze to an early one.

There is an A3 TFSI Quattro s-line fully loaded but needs an engine available for £7.5K
The whole 350bhp build would be approx £10K total

I know getting the s3 makes more sense for resale value and less headache.

This would be a lot cheaper if it is do-able :)

10k total sounds immense value for money. Surely the 2T engine from the S3 is the same from the 2T from the Golf and the A3, just with uprated injectors and fuel pumps . . . ? Much like the 150/180 1.8Ts from 8L A3 can make the same power as the 1.8T 225 S3 with uprated parts. . .

Just guessing here!

i think your right, just internals are stronger i think... but then you have to think about supsension, brakes, clutch, gearbox?? or is all this included??

The ED30 engine is pretty much the same as the S3 apart from the intercooler. The ED30 uses the stock GTI intercooler where as the S3 has an upgraded one.

Injectors, HPFP, Turbo etc are all the same :icon_thumright:

i think your right, just internals are stronger i think... but then you have to think about supsension, brakes, clutch, gearbox?? or is all this included??

And internals, I had forgotten about!

Good news from below!

ok but have you included for supsension upgrades and brakes??

im not actually sure how different the tfsi clutch is to the s3 but running 350hp you will need to uprate anyway...

will be lots of work, the s3/ed30 use k04 turbos and standard 200hp 2.0tfsi use k03 turbos. I would personally keep that existing engine, uprate internals and get a GT3071R turbo, its good for 500WHP! you can spend 10K and make a 400BHP 2.0tsfi much easier than doing a whole conversion. Obvisouly you'l need exhaust, intercooler, injectors, intercooler, induction kit etc, but atleast you'l learn in the process.

just save and buy the s3 mate if youre speaking on spending that you wont be long and youll be able to walk into a dealers with a brown bag and out with an s3

Thats great value for the converison + car! Someone above mentioned that if you spent £10k on the 197 bhp 2.0t you could easily get big power ie over 400 BUT that would include new internals as neither engine's rods and pistons can safely cope with 390/400 lb ft torque and over withing bending the rods.
The Ed 30 only differs from the S3 in having the GTI intercooler otherwise all the time-injectors turbo internals etc.
The 2.0T clutch is the same as the S3 clutch is is ok for about 330lb ft torque as long you dont abuse it.
If you can get that engine & car AND conversion for 10k Id GO FOR IT bro! since the car is minus an engine you might as well put the one with the far better turbo and internals in.

All you'd need after that is the 'little' things ie intake, TBE HPFP,and try get a better intercooler, new software and new clutch after a little while and your laughing mate. Literally.

Last edited:
Even if you can do this for 12K then its a no brainer.
A S3 bashing A3 20TQ for that money is nice. And different.
Still 4K short of a cheap S3 too.

Good luck:icon_thumright:
Paul