AH FabricationsMonster Motorsport

Thread: DSG Question

Reverse Gear

Status

DSG Question

Hi Guys,

Sorry for the strange question but... is it ok to change from ‘D’ to ‘S’ mode whilst driving?
    Or do I have to stop to do that? Cannot imagine that

Regards,
    Jake

2. # ADS
    ADS

You can change from D to S or from D to tiptronic at any time whilst you are driving.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

Audi=No fault code, no idea

Status
    Its actually an advantage to change from D to S when planning to overtake sometimes. Rest assured Audi would not give you the option if it was a no no.
    Ibis white Revo S3 and now matching Vivaro LWB HR 2900 :-)

Many people are alive because its illegal to shoot them.

MODERATOR V6 S3 Hybrid

Status
    I'm always changing into S from D lol!

Mauritus Blue 3.2 V6 S Line Quattro DSG Xenons Sunroof Leather Sat Nav/Changer/TV/Text W8 & Int Light Pack Dark H/Lining Tints PDC S3 Kit '11 Rears Sachs/Eibachs & more... Build Thread

3rd Gear

Status
    It is of course ok as others have stated, but although I have not used S a lot, in general overtaking, personally the few times I have it has annoyed me, I much prefer to use the paddles to put me in the gear I want to be in ready to over take, the only problem with this is after a while it automatically goes back into D again, this also annoys me, but I can see the logic in this, as you would sometimes forget what gear you were in and stay in that gear burning loads of juice. but the few times I have used S i have it ready in a gear to over take in S mode, and as soon as I floor it it changes down, revs the hell out of the engine and then needs to change back up, where as using the paddles, (M mode) can hold you at the right revs in the right gear thus put your foot down and she flies

Reverse Gear

Status
    Thanks Guys,

I just was wandering, because you have to press a button to do that.

Regards,

Jake

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Butler View Post
    It is of course ok as others have stated, but although I have not used S a lot, in general overtaking, personally the few times I have it has annoyed me, I much prefer to use the paddles to put me in the gear I want to be in ready to over take, the only problem with this is after a while it automatically goes back into D again, this also annoys me, but I can see the logic in this, as you would sometimes forget what gear you were in and stay in that gear burning loads of juice. but the few times I have used S i have it ready in a gear to over take in S mode, and as soon as I floor it it changes down, revs the hell out of the engine and then needs to change back up, where as using the paddles, (M mode) can hold you at the right revs in the right gear thus put your foot down and she flies
    If the fact that the DSG goes back to D after you have used the paddles then move the lever into tiptronic and drive using the paddles all the time. It's much more fun than driving in D. You drive just like a manual but without having to use the clutch. The DSG will still change down automatically if you let the speed get too low for the selected gear and also change up if the revs go to high for a selected gear. It will also still change into first gear automatically when you stop. I find driving using the tiptronic mode give me the test of both worlds.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

Neutral

Status
    I've given up using the automatic modes (D or S) since using the paddles is just as efficient but with more control and flexibility. Was having a debate (internally) as to whether choose manual or S-tronic for the next car... and I still think S-Tronic is better than manual. Rationale is the gear change is quicker and smoother on S-Tronic compare to manual and especially I do not know the heel-and-toe trick...

Quote Originally Posted by h5djr View Post
    If the fact that the DSG goes back to D after you have used the paddles then move the lever into tiptronic and drive using the paddles all the time. It's much more fun than driving in D. You drive just like a manual but without having to use the clutch. The DSG will still change down automatically if you let the speed get too low for the selected gear and also change up if the revs go to high for a selected gear. It will also still change into first gear automatically when you stop. I find driving using the tiptronic mode give me the test of both worlds.
    Jul-09 :audi: S3 Sportback (8PA)
    Haldex 4 | Witness | KW V3| MFBSW | DVN-A3 | VR G2 | PSS | Recaro OEM Buckets | Stinger DSI | Alcon | Forge DV | MTM Full Exhaust & ECU Remap
    Gone: GC-05K | PS2 | STi-R | ZR4 | Bluefin | D-Spark

6th Gear

Status
    I used the paddles all the time when i first had it, now I only ever use them for overtaking. I just cant be arsed! When i'm chatting, messing with the radio etc i seem to forget to change. However when i drive a normal manual its not a problem, I think its due to my left leg being redundant and my arm used to shifting a stick!
    B6 1.8T Avant s line gmbh